Adjusting default volume

I’m rather new to self fitting and so learning to crawl before I walk. I am using Phonak Target ver 9 on my Phonak Marvel 70s.

I wish to adjust only one sub-program within Autosense 3.0 and that is Speech in Noise. I understand how to incr/decr noise block, wind block etc for this one sub-program but what about increasing or decreasing default volume?

Is it a matter of clicking the ALL box on the grid that shows MPO and G50, G65 and G80 and then click the arrow up or arrow down to increase/decrease volume? Does this action increase anything the microphone picks up, meaning background noise as well as speech?

My objective is to reduce background noise in a big box/grocery store so that I can hear a clerk on the sales floor or the clerk at checkout.

My QuickSIN has been measured as 12, so my understanding is speech has to be 12 db higher than background noise.

TIA

Yes

Yes although you could try G65 only but the other lines will also increase anyway.

Don’t think any HA is capable of this. Not even the Phonak Roger.

Have you tried the automatic self adjustments, where you click what matches you, like traffic too loud, or too soft?

I would NOT touch the MPO settings. Just mark G50, G65 and G80 together and click the arrow up or arrow down to increase/decrease volume

Can you please explain further why you would not touch MPO? I am trying to understand what effect MPO has overall and in each division of G50, G65 and G80.

I adjust the MPO so things aren’t so compressed.

MPO is Maximum Power Out , and this setting limiting the maximum power for each chanel

to decrease volume you can mark all G50, G65 and G80 and click down arrow to reduce the overall volume. You can rise just G65 (and G50) for speech

Als Zebras stated , you can try the Automatic Fine Tuning in Target , to get information and tips for the issues you are trying to solve.

You also can try to increase the MPO that will change (lower) the compression for each channel. If you decrease the MPO the compression will rise (go up).

You shouldn’t be making any attempt in adjustments to MPO when your not sure what your doing! Look at it as a “safety valve” to your hearing, your pushing 70-80dB in some frequencies, also another annoying thing called “clipping” I’d just leave it set by Target.

1 Like

Good morning,
For the Quicksin, I rather use the (aided or unaided) speech test results as a cross check tool. I will not adjust the hearing aid as per the speech test results. If the Quicksin measurement is 12, the SNR loss should be moderate, which is compatible with your audiogram.
My advice is don’t be too ambitious when self-fitting. Maybe try 3 steps first. Don’t add 12dB which may be too loud.
Have a great day.

1 Like