Adaptive Phonak Digital Contrast

Has anyone tried this fitting formula yet?

How do you find it?

I thought it was only available for the Naida B but I can see it on my Phonak Brio P-UPs so might try it.

Whatā€™s the difference in that and the regular Phonak adaptive formula?

It has slower compression.

1 Like

Yes, I use it from the beginning in Naida B.
I have used APD in Naida V during my testing period. I am sorry, I canā€™t tell you the difference any more, I am used to APDC for nearly 9 month.
Your question let me think of it again. Maybe I will switch to APD. Why? When being together with my family my daughter and wife have loud voices. My son in contrast has a very silent voice. It takes a couple of seconds until I can understand what he is talking about. When my son and I talk just to both of us (in absence of the females) there is no problem in understanding him. Although his voice still is very silent.
My hope with ā€œfast compressionā€ in APD is that the gain for G50 is reached more rapidly than with APDC. Btw Phonak does not recomend APDC for severe hearing losses.

Thatā€™s a really bad thing that we canā€™t apply a different formula to different programs at the same time in a single HA. And I donā€™t have a second pair to compare the differences on the fly. (Or switch back if the change is too bad).

1 Like

Zebras, have you meanwhile tried Adaptive Phonak Digital Contrast (APDC)?

On Sunday I changed my formula from APDC ā€œbackā€ to APD. The sound has changed more dramatically than I had expected. It is now sharper, in german I would say ā€œcrispā€. The bad thing is Target changed many values during recalculating (which is neccessary). The good thing is: overall loudness has decreased without affecting intelligibility. Now there is space left again for fine-tuning either by increasing gain/MPO in my ā€œhighsā€ or by decreasing sound smoothing or both. In other words: I have to start fine-tuning all over again from the beginning :frowning:

When I switched from Naida V (APD) to Naida B (APDC) 9 months ago I did not feel (hear) that big difference. It looks like Phonak was right when saying APDC is not recommended for severe to profound hearing loss (like mine in the highs). In contrast you do not have a steep ski-slope, maybe you CAN benefit from APDC in that it sounds more linear than APD (but I donā€™t know if there is a big difference between APDC and NAL-NL2 for you). Keep in mind: For my hearing loss I need an adjustment so that silent and loud voices have the same effective loudness - otherwise it is too silent or too loud. Good luck!

1 Like

Iā€™m trying DSL Adult and it is louder in the highs than Phonak Adaptive, or NAL-NL2. I normally have to turn up soft speech, from the first fit setting but so far with DSL I donā€™t think I will need to.

1 Like

I just tried the DSL Adult and for me it reduces the gain by quite a lot compared to the APD.

1 Like

I am on Adaptive Phonak Digital Contrast for awhile. What I have learned is that MPO needs to be increased until maximum on all channels but avoid high MPO warning so itā€™s working fine for me. Iā€™m bit surprised itā€™s worked on my old Phonak Naida S too. Difference between APD and APDC, APDC sounds little bit deep on high frequency than low frequency. Audiology said itā€™s focusing on speech like auditory mostly. Slow compression can be little bit difficult because itā€™s almost feel like it didnā€™t get back to sound that I wanted when I was in noisy area. Probably need to increase volume little bit more and get used to it.

But here is Phonakā€™s description of its APDC marketing video:

Hm thatā€™s curious. My statement is from the hint-button in Target 6.0.
Meanwhile I am used to APDC since approx February. I did not want to do all the fine tuning again because it costs me too much time. And since July I am on my way for a CI anyway. HAs are great but my loss is too bad.

When fitting for a Nadia B (but not for AudĆ©o), hereā€™s the tooltip that becomes available after selecting any formula other than APDC:

1 Like

@brec
Youā€™re right. Itā€™s the same what I see/saw in my Target.
I believe my conclusion was because of the part ā€œif linear gain is preferredā€. But I was wrong.
I donā€™t like linear gain and therefore I should retune my HAs for APD only just like I wrote already on Jan, 28th. But thatā€™s a waste of my time as Iā€™m getting a CI anyway soon.

1 Like

Guys ā€¦if you have profound loss, have you tried the Adaptive phonak digital contrast?Is it good?Does it really helps in speech clarity?How different is it from earlier Adaptive Phonak digital?

I tried it for a few days. It seemed to slur words and ā€œlisp the s and st sounds. My word understanding went down.
Everyone is different. You may really like it.

I for one like APDC. But you have to get used to any formula. After being used to it several months I didnā€˜t like APD any more, intelligibility was then worse and I had to turn on SoundSmoothing again. Now with APDC itā€˜s turned off again.

1 Like