Adaptive bandwidth setting in myPhonak app when used with Android device

Does the Phonak ‘adaptive bandwidth’ setting in myPhonak have any impact on Bluetooth phone calls when using an Android device? I have it set to adaptive bandwidth (vs fixed bandwidth) while using a Pixel 4XL. It’s not causing any problems but I’m not sure if there is any benefit.

Adaptive is default. Fixed cams about due to issues with some phones, namely Apple iPhones from the iPhone XS onward. There are also other phones that are unable to use adaptive. I have an iPhone 11 so I use Fixed. I guess there is higher quality with adaptive but I’ll never know.

1 Like

There is a similar option in AAC/MP3 sound compression software. Generally it means if you have a great connection you get more bits/second; if you have a bad connection the server can serve less bits/second so you still have sound.

For short-range BlueTooth and no head in the way, I could see selecting Fixed and as high a bitrate as is offered. But if the BlueToot signal fades it may go all gibberish. Adaptive “could” down-shift to a somewhat lesser but coherent signal.

And it is extra work for the devices and older devices may not have Adaptive at all, so Fixed is the only real choice.

I say leave it be until you suspect a problem. Even then, if it works now, it is unlikely to become a problem. If the BlueToot isn’t going through it is probably blockage or interference, not fixed/adapt protocol.

2 Likes

Could Adaptive Bandwidth cause my own voice to mute during a phone call? It happened 3x last week. I could deselect then reselect Bluetooth on the call settings to fix it. I have a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra and except for that I have had no other Bluetooth or phone call issues. As a matter of fact, voices sound like the other person is standing in front of me.

Do you have another device like a laptop connected to the hearing aids too?

My phone (fixed bt) will stop music playing on my laptop (adaptive) if I get a phone call. This could be happening to you in reverse.

1 Like