Achieving 100% Wireless Handset Model Hearing Aid Compatibility

" A Proposed Rule by the Federal Communications Commission"

Maybe the Americans amongst us might want to put their heads together to make a submission.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2024/01/26/2024-00414/achieving-100-wireless-handset-model-hearing-aid-compatibility

1 Like

Well f’goodness sake! What are we waiting for?!?! What a find, d_Wooluf! Thanks for sharing, cuz I - who never lack for an opinion on hearing aid-compatible COMMUNICATION devices - will definitely see if I can lodge a comment at the online site!

We should BURY them alive with our preferences! If we don’t speak up, who will on our behalf? We’ll have ourselves to blame for phones coming out that are not compatible with our aids.

I am lucky that my Phonak Lumity Life aids have a dedicated “Acoustic Phone” program that I can use in a pinch for a random phone flung my way. But I’d sure like to see some progress in this direction.

Anyone here recall the days when phones had NO VOLUME CONTROL? That’s like a steering wheel on a car that doesn’t turn left or right. Made no sense to me. Those days are happily GONE. We owe it to ourselves to make our wishes and preferences known to a source who can possibly change things to suit us.

Let’s DO IT.

1 Like

OK, I followed the link posted above but got nowhere, cuz that link says for electronic filers, go HERE.

Not sure why, but this link is pretty useless! I’m putting in the phrase “A Proposed Rule by the Federal Communications Commission” and even “Achieving 100% Wireless Handset Model Hearing Aid Compatibility” and finding NOTHING.

This link seems to be a SEARCH form, not a suggested TAKE ACTION form. If anyone can figure out how to get through to the FCC or appropriate agency, post that link here.

Gov’t bureaucracy. Why am I NOT surprised?

I tried that link again. It took me straight to the proposal.

SUMMARY:

In this document, the Federal Communications Commission (“Commission”) tentatively concludes that requiring 100% of all handset models to be certified as hearing aid-compatible is an achievable object and seeks comment on revising the definition of hearing aid compatibility to include Bluetooth connectivity technology. In addition, the Commission seeks comment on a number of implementation proposals related to this tentative conclusion.

2 Likes

Yes I got to the same Summary page you’re referring to. In the body of that page is the link to a form that says:

You may submit comments, identified by WT Docket No. 23–388, by any of the following methods:

• Electronic Filers: Comments may be filed electronically using the internet by accessing the ECFS: https://www.fcc.gov/​ecfs/​.

Somehow, from that link, I found THIS PAGE that may have info on how to file an Express Comment without needing extra legal attachments.

I got all the way to the “Express Comment” form, filled it in, but it does NOT FIND the title “Achieving 100% Wireless Handset Model Hearing Aid Compatibility” by title name, or by the numbers listed on the page in which it appears:

I’m stumped. If the database can’t find the proposal, there’s no way to add any comment to promote the cause. DOH.