A possible link between diet drinks and Tinnitus

I know I have guilty of drinking them in the past and still do every now and then. And that may explain why the ringing in my hears are worse at time.

1 Like

Very interesting, thanks!

I have also been told in the past that caffeine is a cause of ringing in your ears.

If that’s true, I’d opt to keep the ringing! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Weird. I thought we already knew about an association between tinnitus and aspartame. Aspartame isn’t as good as people led us to believe.

Latest research on aspartame:

Hmmm, I didn’t read anything that would lead me to believe that there is hard data to support those claims. But I concur that diet sodas are generally no good for us. (Said the guy with tinnitus who limits himself to two per day)

I have not had diet drinks or any thing like sweet and low for a month now and I have notice that my ringing in my ears is down. I did make a stupid mistake and not wear enough ear protection for shooting at an indoor range and had an increase for about 2 weeks but now it is back down to well below where it was before.

1 Like

I don’t ever use diet drinks, and my caffeine intake is minimal. Yet I have bad tinnitus.

I’ll occasionally have a few Starbucks coffees per day when on business trips but it does not impact the severity of the tinnitus.

My understanding is that all of the assumed links to tinnitus are guesses based on minimal scientific evidence. Sadly, it will probably be a long time before any real progress is made in the field. :frowning:

I’m thinking there is a link between tinnitus and TP because every person has used lots of TP.

1 Like

I am positive that air causes it because I inhale frequently. Water is also a suggested source.

looking at the reviews on the first post tells me a lot. One practice in my neighborhood the review (on the linked site) states “he is great” yet the office is staffed by 3 women.

The ringing is caused by our brains when we no longer hear sounds that our brains are use to being there. So our brains create them. But there are things that can cause it to be worse, such as meds, and chemicals. Also extremely loud noises will increase it. So yes I guess that wind can do it. I know for me it increases also when my sinuses are worse, and it is really noticeable when open my mouth wide.

Interesting about the aspartame. It gives me migraine headaches. I’ve rarely used it except inadvertently.

I wish someone had studied the link between taking Coriciden for colds and tinnitus. Cuz that’s exactly what triggered mine - at age 14. I guess I’m lucky that it mostly rings at a constant tone, but sometimes, if the atmospheric pressure changes (with weather systems), my ears go BONKERS with lots of bong! bong! BONGING!

Well it’s probably not a good idea to pour diet soda into your ears