A Guide to Paying for Hearing Aids

I welcome your feedback on this latest piece by HearingTracker contributor Carly Sygrove.

2 Likes

Minnesota mandates insurance coverage

In the 2023 legislative session, Minnesota lawmakers changed Minnesota Statute 62Q.675, which addresses hearing aid coverage by health insurance plans.

The old language said insurance plans must cover hearing aids for children up to age 18.

The new language says:
[62Q.675] [HEARING AIDS.] A health plan must cover hearing aids for all individuals for hearing loss that is not correctable by other covered procedures. Coverage required under this section is limited to one hearing aid in each ear every three years. No special deductible, coinsurance, co-payment, or other limitation on the coverage under this section that is not generally applicable to other coverages under the plan may be imposed.

This law took effect July 1, 2023.

Excellent post.

Ontario Canada. Every 5 years each person can receive $500 for each hearing aid required. Cost is over $2500 each.
It’s up to the taxpayer to find a good source. There are some good suppliers. I found one once. Well, maybe twice.
Workman’s comp watches cost.
5 years use is required. Then get new…
They don’t buy top of the line models. (Can’t pay more and get better HA’s.)
Maintenance is covered
Loss is covered once.
Try and get accessories? Need approval from WSIB. My experience is normally forgetaboutit.

My hearing aid practitioner says 6 months between appointments. Unless there is a change in my hearing.

I’m lucky to be covered by Workman’s Comp. Truly.

Thank you both for the info. Anyone else with any tips, keep em’ coming and we’ll keep improving the post.

In New Zealand there are 3 possible sources of funds from government bodies for hearing aids:

1. General - available to all NZ citizens who need a hearing aid. This is NZ $511 per hearing aid every 6 years. The need must be assessed by a qualified audiologist (Australia/New Zealand cerified).
  2. Welfare Funding - limited funding available to persons who need a hearing aid and who meet specific criteria, e.g. hearing impaired since childhood, below a set income level, etc
  3. Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC)- full funding for hearing aids to persons whose hearing had been damaged by work undertaken in employment or via an accident of any kind (at work or at home) - please don’t ask me to explain ACC as it’s unique to New Zealand.

After these funding sources it is up to a hearing impaired person to pay for hearing aids out of their own purse.

1 Like

You forgot about accessable and War Pensions :slight_smile:
P.S. I worked as an MNZAS audiologist in NZ for 5 years with all the third party funding sources.

1 Like