A DIY fix to adjust the ComPilot II lanyard

I found the standard cable for the ComPilot II was way too long and felt that the smaller childs cable would be a little too short to get over my head and glasses easily. I didn’t want to cut and solder the wire like I’ve read online, so I MacGyvered a cheap simple compromise that seems to work. I simply harvested a lanyard string from a conference badge and tied two slip knots around the wire (video on the knot here). The ComPilot II now hangs comfortably at my shirt opening rather than way down by my breastbone. Putting it on and off and adjustments are simple, the excess wire loop hangs towards the back under my shirt. I don’t know if I should apply for a patent for this or not.

CPlanyard

You can buy a shorter cable. They come in two lengths.

Yes they do, the short one is ~20.5 - 21" and the long ~30". I read the Q&A and reviews on Amazon that say the long is too long and the short too short for the average adult.

Somebody posted that 25 - 26" would be just about right. I measured the circumference of my head and it is ~ 24" so I would have to agree.

I went to a conference / trade show that had an adjustable lanyard for the ID badge and that got me thinking I could do the same with the neck loop of the ComPilot II. They say necessity is the mother of invention.

Not easily. The lanyard is both a send and receive antenna. The receive shouldn’t be a problem but an out of spec transmitter antenna would suffer from impedance.

1 Like

You lost me KenP. I didn’t change the length of the antenna, only added a piece of lanyard rope to adjust the position. I can see how that modifies the shape of the antenna.

I was talking about changing lanyard lengths that was mentioned. Wasn’t referring to your clever fix.

Got it now! I double checked the lengths and realize the short 21" would work if I unplugged one end every time it put it on or off. I have no idea what wear and tear that would cause on the connecting ends.

This is not true. Length of the antenna would affect VSWR, not impedance. And being there is a long length and short length antenna available, I seriously doubt VSWR is an issue in this low power device anyway. You are actually buying an overly overpriced piece of wire. Complete ripoff at $20+ imo. I am going to probably even make my own in 2 minutes for about 5 cents.

Just used an 20 GA ordinary wire 6 feet long for test and it works. Any reasonable length probably would work.