A couple of questions about compatible tech

I’m in the process of various tests for a CI, as after nearly 39 years of having hearing aids, I think I’m ready to upgrade the tech in my ear.

However, following research on Google, I’ve just upgraded my mobile phone to a Pixel 7, as it said the Pixel phones were best suited to a CI, also, I’m looking for a compatible headset for my phone and also the Xbox.

I did recently purchase a Turtle Beach Xbox headset on Amazon but I am in the process of sending it back as I don’t think it’ll work.

Can anyone advise on any of the issues?

I usually use a standard headset for my Xbox and Playstation (plugged into the controller). It sends sound to the microphones on my CI and other ear. If I want a clearer sound, then I use a TV streamer directly to my CI. Stereo sound is and has always been a problem for me. I use an Iphone and Cochlear brand as CI.

1 Like

You may want to wait and see how your CI works for you before investing in new technology. I don’t find the need for any help with the TV now - my CI does just fine. I was activated December 16, 2022. Depending on your current hearing and whether you will also wear a hearing aid in the other ear, and what brand of CI you choose, you may find phone calls work just fine without a headset - unless you need it for work. I chose Advanced Bionics for the great connection with the compatible Phonak Marvel hearing aid. They work together and you use a single phone app to control them, rather than a separate app for the CI and another for the HA as with Cochlear brand, or using a separate neck loop for Med El. I do perfectly on the phone with my CI and HA working together. My CI alone is still a challenge for phone, but is getting better with practice. Calls are truly hands free because the mics are built into your devices. I can leave my phone on the counter and walk all around the room to talk. I have an IPhone. Hope your CI journey goes smoothly - keep us posted.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
I have a Cochlear N7 and Resound hearing aid (I’m bimodal) They pair together and work together seamlessly. On the rare occasions that I need to use a headphone I use Bose quiet comfort. Just listening to the TV or answering the phone I don’t require to use any intermediary device at all, in fact I don’t own a mini mic or TV streamer. I have an iPhone which works perfectly with my bimodal setup. @Raudrive uses a pixel phone with his N7 or K2 processors. I can’t tell you which pixel he uses though. I can’t remember him complaining about issues with connectivity and his devices.
Good luck on your new hearing journey. Please keep us update on your progress.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.
I am bilateral with Cochlear America Nucleus 7 processors and Kanso 2 processors.

The N7, N8 and K2 processors all pair with both iOS and Android phones without any other devices. I use a Google Pixel 3 phone with great results. My K2 processors have a little better Bluetooth range than the N7 processors. I have read the N8 has excellent Bluetooth.

I am not familiar with headsets and CI.

Good luck

2 Likes

Just to clarify, you are looking for a headset for your phone and Xbox to use now, before your surgery. I take it you don’t want to wait to see if you need the headset after the implant?

2 Likes

I’m just doing what I always do, planning for the future before it’s actually happened!

3 Likes

How is your CI plan going?
Any updates?

3 Likes

Hi. I have nucleus 8 and resound ha and an iPhone. Just a week past activation. (Also kanso2 activated, but need retention devices before I wear) I love things working seamlessly. But I suspect I have to upgrade my iPhone, which is an 8, and possibly my ha, which is lynx2. Can you let me know what your ha and iPhone are? Thank you.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @kmliptak.

When I was activated I had a N7, Enzo2 & iPhone 11. The Enzo2 was very old platform and required the use of a phone clip to stream. The HA was forever off being repaired which was very inconvenient. The phone and N7 worked seamlessly all the time for me.

I have since got a Enzo 3D, N8 2 weeks ago and iPhone 13 last November. The Enzo 3D again is a very old platform but it works extremely well with either of my iPhones. My N8, being only 2 weeks old, I’m still in the process of working out all the kinks I have with streaming and clarity.

If you have a Lynx2 you possibly need a phone clip to stream anything, or upgrade your HA. As when I had Enzo2 I needed a phone clip. iPhone 8 should work well still for you.

@ssa has had his N8 a lot longer than me and can answer any technical questions you might have.

Good luck on your new hearing journey. Keep us all informed of how you are progressing.

1 Like

Thank you. That’s all helpful to me.

1 Like

I have two N8’s and iPhone 7 and no problems for me

1 Like

Also if your N8 isn’t “linked” to your iPhone on your AuDs CI computer this can also be the cause of streaming issues. I suspect this might be what’s causing my streaming issues.

1 Like

This is what I thought when I first read the post. The aids and processor have to be linked in the software at the audiologist office.
The aid and N8 also have to be be compatible with each other as well as the phone.
Good question for the audiologist.

1 Like

I have 2 appointments up at the Hospital tomorrow and Wednesday, tomorrow’s to be fitted for a hearing aid in my right ear to compensate for not being able to hear for a month when I’ve had the CI op, normally I’d have a number of reservations about that, but I no longer associate with the crowd of complete idiots who used to bully me for having 2 hearing aids back in the mid 80s.

And it would only be a temporary measure till my brain gets used to the CI post op (although with my brain that might take slightly longer than normal lol)

2 Likes

Are you saying you would not wear a hearing aid in your non-implanted ear? If that’s the case, you would hear better with both CI and HA.