30 minute hearing aid break

I’ve been wearing hearing aids for many years, and I use them all day, sometimes even at night. I have long since adapted to them and can’t imagine life without hearing aids. However, after a long day, I sometimes need a 15 or 30 minute break with nothing in my ears, and then I am okay.

Does anyone else have that experience? I wear Widex Moment BTEs. Thanks.

–Steve

3 Likes

Yeah definitely, I’m happy enough doing that, but I also never use mine overnight, so that’s a good 8 hour break from using them.

5 Likes

Yeah @StevenS… I do this all the time, and occasionally, I will go all day without my aids :grin: Sometimes a change, is as good as a rest… Cheers Kev :wink:

4 Likes

You need to take the aids out for maybe 30 mins a few times per day to clear up moisture in your ear canal.
Usually after sweating, l put them in my hearing aid dryer.

2 Likes

Yeah @Terost… My aids go in the dryer overnight, they also have ultra violet to kill any bacteria, I think most dryers are very similar in this respect, my custom moulds/molds have no vents, so my ears sweat up fairly quickly.
Taking them out occasionally is a form of relief, and it gives my ears a chance to air… By far, the most annoying factor for me, is dry skin buildup under the mould’s, and around the mould seating area, no amount of creams, or moisturiser can subdue this condition completely, although the creams help! The knock on effect is probably the most annoying aspect, it looks like I have heavy dandruff on my clothes, I love black… But, I look like a prime candidate for anti dandruff shampoo :rofl: :upside_down_face: :joy: It is a constant, but perhaps futile battle, as I am acutely aware, this is probably down to allergies, if I don’t try to keep on top of the flaking skin, the layers build up, and create sores underneath the mould’s, at this point I will be in pain… My apologies for the long winded reply, my trials, and tribulations with hearing aid moulds, are quite literally a sore point, so much so, they get winged at every available opportunity :rofl: :upside_down_face: :rofl:

I take mine out to rest after being in an environment with sensory overload like a restaurant or in car when driver has music on in combination with road noise Rests my brain.

3 Likes

This is all very helpful advice. I’m grateful to all of you for sharing your ideas.

I noted that I often sleep with my aids so I can stream things without disturbing my wife, and also want to be able to wake up if I need to. Nighttime doesn’t seem to be a problem. I always hear well in the morning.

As the day goes on and I talk to people and listen, I reach a point usually in the afteroon where my ears feel “plugged.” The only relief seems to be to take out my hearing aids for 15 minutes or a half hour, although I do not like to be without them. I’m not sure if moisture is building up in my ears or in my hearing aids or if it is something else. I do not seem to build up much wax or flaking. One of you shared that it may be sensory overload, and that makes sense.

I will discuss this with my audiologist. Meanwhile, your advice and suggestions are very much appreciated.

–Steve

2 Likes

My hearing aid is in when I am awake, except in the shower or swimming pool. And after swimming, I leave my ears open to dry for 30 minutes or more. The alternative can be swimmer’s ear / infection.

And it is restful.

And I get to marvel at the things I actually can hear, unaided - like putting an empty coffee cup into the sink and hearing the little “clink” it makes, that tickles me.

You can buy an ear dryer like this one.

1 Like

I tried Dove soap today. Instantly my arms weren’t itchy. And no flaky skin on my arms!

Just a thought. Could it be the soap you use?
Dave

1 Like

I will give it a try Dave, you never know… Thank you :wink:

1 Like

Ear dryer seems like a great thing to try. Thanks for the idea. I’ll order one now and report back. --Steve

2 Likes

You’re obviously very familiar with all the ins and outs of using hearing aids, and you sound very comfortable with your routine of giving your ears an occasional break. I guess I would say don’t fix it if it ain’t broke.

2 Likes

I wear Widex Moment Sheers BTE for severe hearing loss. For ten plus years.

I have found that resting my ears for a day improves my hearing.

The common wisdom is that you should wear them all the time to let your brain get used to them.

I find that take little breaks as you describe, or a whole day really helps.

An athlete needs to rest, so do my ears!

1 Like

This group is so great because the members are invariably helpful. I’m certainly familiar with the ins and outs of using hearing aids. I had normal hearing as a child, but I’ve worn HAs for half my life. But there are always challenges as my hearing worsens and I use different types of aids.

I certainly agree with the conventional wisdom to wear your aids full time. Yet, it is reassuring that other long-term users also find that their ears get “tired,” and it helps to remove your aids and take a break once in a while even at the risk of not hearing well.

–Steve

3 Likes

I’ve had 3 sets of Phonaks in the last 20 years…
My last two sets have been most challenging. Setup has been a problem. My new hearing aids were set up by a new service. I can hear! Is it a work in progress? We’ll see

I find that I get tired. It helps me to set my hearing aids a notch or two louder.Otherwise I’m tired by 2 or so in the afternoon.

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

Thanks! Interesting ear dryer, have to check it out.

1 Like

I wear mine pretty much all time I’m awake. However I do “take” advantage if you like… I commute using Train - I “always” mute them on the train since Aussie commuters are an inconsiderate lot; I like to read not listen to loud conversations, phone conversations, headphones blaring etc etc plus dim the over loud PA & just general electric train whine/whistle etc :smiley:

2 Likes

Same here, I live alone, and on days that I work from home, and stay in, I often won’t put in my HAs.

2 Likes

I have a high frequency hearing loss and since I’ve started wearing properly fitted HAs, when they’re out, occasionally, I have this feeling that I have to “scratch my brain” with some high frequency sounds.
So I wear them even when I’m alone.
I do a lot of streaming though, with closed domes or slim molds, and I can feel when my ear canals need a break.

1 Like