10% loss in 2 years

Since i have a Costco membership i got a hearing test on Saturday. My left ear is same, my bad ear went from 65% loss to 75% loss in 24 months. If i stay on that trajectory, thinking i will be deaf in that ear in 5 more years? Will post new audiogram later…
Best wishes to all

2 Likes

The Costco reports I’ve seen don’t report a percentage loss. The only percentage test that I know of is word recognition. A change from 65% to 75% would actually be a good thing although a 10% change isn’t considered significant.

2 Likes

The HIS told me and wrote it down on my audiogram. I beleive she determined that by my overall audiogram results. She seemed to feel it was significant enough that she said i should schedule a dr appointment.
My dad was almost deaf in one ear before he tried a stapedectomy, and at about my age. That failed and his ear was really dead after that. It was his second stapedectomy and the dr said the bones in that ear were to brittle and could not repaired any more.

1 Like

How many db is that?
That’s how I understand it.
Thanks

A 10 db shift in a year is worth talking about.

Sorry, im at work and left my audiogram at home. Im in the 100+ db in the upper freqs if i remember right.
And i may be wrong. Maybe she meant my WR scores went from 75% to 65%. Will post my audiogram asap. Tnx

2 Likes

The light grey lines are my 2 year old results…
I have a call in to find out my WR scores, for some reason they arre missing from this report

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your audiogram.

The right ear has shifted about 15 db. That’s worth talking about.

Have you considered CI?

2 Likes

No expert but looks like your right ear has some conductive loss.

Your BC result is not no response until last frequency. Your BC result on the first frequency is 20 dB.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve never seen hearing loss reported like that. There is an “Audibility Index” (AI) that’s often reported as a part of the PTA (Pure Tone Average. With it however, higher numbers are better. I wonder how the fitter gets the number they gave you? Depending on WRS, I agree a CI eval could be reasonable for the right ear. I could be wrong, but I can’t imagine you’re getting much useful hearing out of that ear;

2 Likes

You are correct. With my aid in only my right ear and while plugging my left ear, i can hear but not understand at normal volume levels.
I talked to tthe HIS and she said she will email me one with wr scores. I will post asap.
Thanks for the replies

2 Likes

1 Like

Word recognition scores aren’t bad. Question is can you get enough gain to that right ear without feedback? Following up on a previous comment of mine: With those WRS, I don’t think a cochlear implant eval is appropriate.

3 Likes

This is my understanding as well.

For me it was less than 50% in quiet. Some with higher than 50% in quiet have received CI based on in noise results if that can be justified for their lifestyle.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. Does anyone know how they come up with the wrs sound level? I see my bad ear is at 95db and good ear at 75. Tnx again

Different people do it differently. Basically it should be comfortably loud. Some people use a formula (some fixed amount over SRT). Others seem to just kind of wing it

1 Like

Has the conductive element of your hearing loss been investigated/diagnosed?

Yes, but not as good as i would expect. I had a CT but not a MRI yet. Hoping this reduction in my bad ear will help woth that. I have an appointment in about 45 days.
And, so far these aids really control feedback well. I have the right aid boosted quite higb with zero feedback. Even with cupping my hand over my ear, no feedback. My molds arre sealed, no vent.

1 Like

Hey, don’t jump out a window YET! My audiogram dropped from about 65-70% loss since 2016 to the cinderblocks I now live with.

MAIN THING is to have aids that always improve and meet your needs! I’m finding that the Phonak Lumity Life aids have helped me transition from their Marvels to this newer model.

As long as I have tools (Roger ON V2, the aids, TV streaming, BT cell phone streaming, etc.,) I don’t care if my hearing level drops to -120!

:wink:

1 Like

I agree. One thing im finding as my hearing drops is that now at my target levels, my aid mics are really sensitive to any movements, like my reading glasses, and even when i got my hair cut shorter. Both rub ever so slightly on my aids and causes noise. If i try to reduce that, my comprehension seems to drop. Before i could find a balance but now at these higher levels, im finding this to be a distraction in quite situations. I might look into ITE type to avoid this. Thanks

You should absolutely see an ENT about your asymmetrical hearing loss as it could indicate a neurological problem. That kind of loss is typical of a neuroma or tumor in the brain pressing on the acoustic nerve on one side.
This is actually pretty common, most often benign, and nothing to worry about beyond the hearing loss, as long as it stays that way. But the only way to find out is with a brain MRI.
If that is the cause of your asymmetrical hearing loss, your doctor will probably want to monitor it with MRIs every few years.

2 Likes