ZPower problems?

When I decided to start wearing HAs, freedom was my motto. Freedom to hear a conversation, to interact with others, to catch up with friends, to travel the world, to learn new languages. I also chose Oticon because seemed to be a “global” company, with a “global” support network.

I could not have been more wrong… Wearing Oticon+ZPower put me into a jail. Tied to my Audiologist, asking them to mail me spare pieces to wherever in the world I am (which I really appreciate, my aud efforts handling this faulty product are enormous), and I’m also tied to carry spare batteries because never know when Silver-Zinc ones will die.
Just for ZPower to know, we are wearing MEDICAL DEVICES, not toys. If the product u developed is faulty, the least you could do is a worldwide product recall, free of charge, informing customers about the issues and solutions (if you have any), and facing the financial consequences of such a mess.

I own my personal cemetery of dead ZPower spare parts (1 battery door + 3 Silver-Zinc batteries). Problems with batteries are exactly the same as described by @Volusiano. I only have two batteries left, and ZPower system warranty is expiring next month. What should I do??. Should I spend $100 every 4 months buying new Silver-Zinc batteries on Amazon?.

In the continuing saga of my Zpower OPN1s - I am getting VERY VERY frustrated/disappointed with Oticon… My audiologist has been trying to get some answers for me for at least a month now and NOTHING back from Oticon… it is clear to me that Zpower is now considered “yesterday’s news” and Oticon couldn’t care less about providing support for them… this will definitely be affecting my decision for my next hearing aids (whenever that is…) … On a whim, I reached out to Zpower on Facebook and got almost immediate reply back from them with answers to my questions… one of the questions was how long should battery (rechargable) last? One that I got in October (so 8 months old now…) has started to only last 12 hrs … Zpower confirmed that at 8 months they usually start to weaken … I expressed my frustration and Zpower promptly (I mean next day) sent me a new battery … another question I had was that when I take the aids off the charger in the morning (they show solid green = fully charged) and put them right back on, they starting blinking green and it can last for almost an hour … Zpower said it’s not charging, but doing some sort of system check which can last up to an hour… assume they know what they’re talking about but at least I got some answers… well, thanks for letting me “vent” …

I have attempted to use rechargeable batteries for various purposes over the years, and they have ended in frustration in almost every case. About the only purpose that has kind of worked is in our landline Panasonic cordless phones. They use AA batteries and have lasted pretty well over the years.

However, when I got to buying hearing aids, rechargeable was the first thing I put on the sidelines. A 312 battery costs about 20 cents and lasts nearly a week. Do I really want to put hearing aids costing multiple thousands of dollars at risk for the sake of saving a 20 cent battery a week? My conclusion was a big NO.

@nedunla, I’m sorry you are having ZPower problems. I’m the one who started this thread about a year ago, and I went through all the same frustrations your are. I doubt you will ever get answers from Oticon. I don’t think that the ZPower-capable, first-gen OPN is a priority for them anymore, since they have released the new OPN-S rechargeable that uses lithium-ion batteries. When I last contacted Oticon for a service question, the person who answered my email had no idea what I was talking about and gave me some scripted answer that made no sense–so don’t count on Oticon support for any accurate answers. I also think that Oticon thinks it’s a ZPower problem, since, at one point, Oticon made stronger battery doors with better contact points and thought that would solve the problem, but it still hasn’t seemed to help the premature ZPower battery drain problem.

I’m glad you reached out to ZPower and that they were responsive. I also reached out to them when I was having issues, and they were quite responsive to me as well. I do think they want to diagnose and fix the problem, but, as you were probably told, they have identified many variables that are contributing to the early battery drain problem. As for the charger itself, I had the same concerns about the green lights continuing to flash even though the hearing aids were supposedly fully charged–and ZPower told me the same thing–that the aids are, in fact, charged, and the lights continuing to blink just indicates an internal system check. This is where I think ZPower could better explain how their system operates in their user manual. The average consumer who buys their product should not have to understand internal system checks and electrical engineering design and lingo .We just need to know why the darn lights keep flashing when the hearing aids are fully charged.

When I last spoke with the folks at ZPower, they were gathering data from people who were having problems with ZPower systems and poor battery life, and I know they really want to solve this. My advice would be to stay in touch with ZPower and see if they can help you. It’s frustrating, time consuming, and if you have to continually buy ZPower batteries, it’s expensive and disappointing. I’m no longer using ZPower, as I upgraded to the new OPN-S1R, but I wish you l the best in getting this worked out.

I had bad luck with my original ZPower batteries back in March only within a few weeks of using them. They just only lasted about 4-6hours.

Since early May, I was able to get a new pair of ZPower batteries from the retailer who sold me the ZPower system. Since then, so far in the last month and a half with the new batteries, they seem to last me about 14-15 hours or so, but with virtually very little streaming, so that’s too be expected.

I’m keeping tab to see how long before they start decreasing their daily charge. Will report back if I notice any change. The verdict is still out on these new ones

3 Likes

My experience is similarly disappointing. Size 13 ZPowers in Unitron Moxi All 600s simply couldn’t last a full day, and they have exasperating quirks.

With good-quality disposables properly aired, I got 60 hours (4 full days with about 3 hours streaming per day) The disposables are rated about 300mAh, and the ZPowers 40. Therefore the ZPowers should only be expected to last about 8 hrs of my use. They usually did better than that, perhaps an average of 10, bluetooth side always dying first. I once got 15 hours with no app or streaming, but then the recharge was about 11 so the aids weren’t available next morning.

I read that updating the charger firmware was sometimes a solution so I tried that. The utility reported that some chargers couldn’t be updated, and to contact audi. I asked for further info from ZPower, got three different answers, all telling me to contact audi Two of the replies offered a link to the firmware utility that I’d already told them didn’t work. Third answer was that the size 13 charger can’t be updated.

I got $200US back from the vendor as compensation and switched to disposables. Currently my wife is wearing the aids part time, and the ZPowers are making it through her short day. Yesterday she wore them longer, 10 hours. The ZPowers made it through but then took 10 hours to recharge. A few days ago they seemed to charge OK, but the left was blinking red in the morning. A week ago they indicated fully charged, but one was dead. What a pain. My wife will probably switch to disposables after the next quirk.

Bottom line, Unitron should never have sold the ZPower system without a caveat that it’s only good for part time use. I note that ZPower is now touting full days from their Gen2 version. But isn’t that what they implied with Gen1? So no more ZPower or Unitron for us.

I’m now wearing Phonak Marvels with lithium ion. Same use pattern as the Unitrons, but the Marvels are still at 60% after a 15 hour day. Very happy with that.

Rechargeable batteries are everywhere, even in my whole house backup system and my car, which has like-new batteries that are 7 years old. Nothing wrong with the concept of rechargeables, only ZPower’s crummy implementation.

Thanks… So how is the battery life with the OPN-S1R ? It’s something I’m following closely in case I want to try them for my next aids … although I have to wait at least a year before I can get any insurance benefits again…

Thanks… so in the Zpower “Gen2 version” the software update I did last Fall? Or are they coming out with a whole new software/hardware system? I asked the Zpower person about any new versions and was told if I did the “software update last Fall , I have the latest” … I think I have read about this “Gen2” but can’t seem to find anything specific about it…

I don’t know. I wouldn’t take ZPower’s word on anything. They and the HA manufacturers that used the system had to know it wasn’t really ready for primetime, but they sold it anyway. The only good thing about ZPower is that if doesn’t work for you, you can switch to disposables.

So I did just find something about the new system … WIDEX is apparently using it… think I’ll reach out the Zpower person and ask about it although I’m guessing it probably won’t be capatible with Oticon …Widex Boosts Performance of its Rechargeable Hearing Aids

I read this Widex announcement and it doesn’t look anything newer than what’s been announced before. The same should apply for other manufacturers who are OEM’ing the ZPower system.

The bottom line is that ZPower may seem to have fixed everything else, EXCEPT for battery longevity and reliability. Either the batteries start with early failure after a few weeks in (like I experienced in my first round), or they hold up for a while (as little as a few months and as long as 8 months in another case that’s been reported here), then can’t live up to the promise of a full day long performance anymore, short of the 1-year span expectation that’s been advertised by ZPower.

Thanks… looks like the battery door is a bit different (unless that’s just the WIDEX battery door)? I’ll see what Zpower tells me (if they respond to my question about OTICON being able to use “Gen2” …

@nedunla, I haven’t had any issues with the OPN-S1R batteries so far. Mine typically have about 55-60% battery life left after 12-14 hours with some streaming and phone calls. I know that other hearing aid brands tout longer battery life and no need for a ConnectClip with Android use, but Oticon seems to give me the best speech comprehension (way better than Marvel), so I’m sticking with them for now.

1 Like

I was told by ZPower earlier this year that they are working on producing batteries with longer life and possibly a redesign (version 2) of the charger itself–to correct the lights continuing to flash after the hearing aids are fully charged, etc. I think they must have gotten enough questions/complaints about the confusing lights and premature battery failure to decide that these matters need to be addressed ASAP. I don’t know if/when a new version will come out, but that was what I was told when I was in contact with ZPower in early 2019.

1 Like

ZPower : I gave up trying to use the rechargeables!! The entire system for me was too unreliable. Yes, I loved the convenience, when they worked – very seldom – never 3 days in a row. Failures could be 2 hours-5 hours-not charged overnight, etc. And sometimes they would last 14 hours! I was wasting too many disposables switching back and forth and it was a constant worry. I only get about 3.5 days from disposables, but I know when they will drain and I plan accordingly. I think ZPower’s issues are more than one problem, or it would have been fixed. The charger is a problem, the doors are crap, and the batteries are worse. All that said, I am really afraid of a sealed rechargeable hearing aid that does not allow the use of disposables. The Audis can’t fix ZPower’s manufacturing issues, so support is is not there for us at the patient/client level, regardless how much they try to help us.
I agree rechargeable batteries work in other areas – so it is unbelievable that ZPower is such a colossal failure. I’ve moved on – or backwards as it seems.

Really sorry about your ZPower experience, @Mago. I was (and still am) a bit leery of lithium-ion batteries too–but the nice thing about OPN-S is that the provider can swap out the LI battery in the office, and the hearing aid does not have to be sent back to Oticon to have the battery replaced. And the LI batteries last so much longer than the ZPower batteries. But I still miss having the flexibility of swapping to disposables if I need to. That was the one thing I really liked about ZPower.

Heck, that’s the only primary attraction of the ZPower system. Without that, I wouldn’t even consider its viability. Period.

I finally heard back from my audiologist … I have been trying to get some answers from Oticon regarding the problems/issues I’ve been having with Zpower charger/batteries,etc… She has not had any luck getting any answers from her Oticon rep who, according to the audiologist, has been trying to get the answers … But Oticon is offering to swap out my OPN1 (Zpowers) with OPN 1S (rechargables) at no cost to me… I’m on the fence right now, as I’m a bit hesitant given the issues I’ve had with the Zpowers not giving me a full day (= 14 hrs with several hours of streaming - mostly TV ) … am interested in any feedback from folks with the OPN S Lithium ion as to battery capacity,etc … at least with Zpower I can swap out to disposables if I need to … and don’t have to worry about power outages,etc … also, I understand the S are a bit larger/heavier as well… not sure I’d like that, as I have enough trouble with the OPN1/ZPOWER bothering me sometimes with my glasses behind the ears… TIA for any insights

I would definitely take them up on their offer. Not only is the charging approach different with the OPN S 1-R than with Z Power (S 1-R charges via induction; ZPower via direct contact; S 1-R uses Lithium Ion, etc.) but the technology behind the S 1 platform is also an upgrade from your current OPN 1 devices (feedback canceling is much improved). Additionally, your warranty starts anew on the day you take the new devices, and the charging system is covered for the same time period (three years) as the hearing aids themselves (including the lithium ion battery). ZPower (at least with Oticon) is a one year warranty vs. the longer warranty on the hearing aids.

You mention being concerned about the weight of the devices. Having handled both OPN 1 and OPN S 1-R, I don’t think in actual experience you would notice much difference.

Chris

1 Like

I would run to take up on the offer to switch to the OPN S 1 R as well. Wish I could have gotten that offer.

1 Like