Your Worst Rate of Hearing Decline over Time

How bad can a decline in hearing get over, say, one year? What would cause a rapid decline?

George

0 Likes

I know from personal experience that a ruptured ear drum can cause rapid decline!

0 Likes

There is a thing called sudden sensorineural hearing loss. It could be treated if done promptly. See an ENT.

0 Likes

My hearing changed radically from a minor, but noticeable loss in both ears to my approximate current hearing profile within about an hour back in 2013.

0 Likes

I’ve had an ear drum rupture from barotrauma without any real loss. But now I have an inner ear blockage from a cold with very sudden loss. I believe they call it a conductive loss. I was put on a steroidal antihistime spray but it has little or no effect so far from my ENT. Tinnitus has also increased in that ear.

0 Likes

Several years back, I had a fungus eat a hole in my right eardrum. Supposedly,. the ear drum grew back, and you can’t see anything there anymore. But that is my worst ear .

George

0 Likes

my hearing loss usually stays the same but sometimes it can drop a bit (because of wax being in there)

0 Likes

I think my own hearing declined pretty rapidly after two events: 1.) taking medication for an ear infection in BOTH ears at age 14 that left me with permanent tinnitus and 2.) attending an Elton John concert with NO ear protection at age 18. DUMB. But what’s done is done.

On top of which I inherited sensoineural hearing loss BIG TIME.

0 Likes

As a teenager I went from hearing to deaf in a few weeks due to a chest and then throat infection when the virus go into my ears from my throat and destroyed a lot of my hearing leaving me with a severe to profound hearing loss.

0 Likes

Mine has been going down very fast over the last year. In my case it’s due to my Meniere’s.

0 Likes

For decades my hearing was always the same my L ear profound Loss and my R ear just moderate loss. I manage fine without aids, I could hear well on the phone, out in noisy places etc. I eventually got hearing aids which helped greatly for a few years. Then overnight my I lost the hearing in my R ear, I went to my ENT, he put me on some tablets (not cortisone) which did no good. He passed a comment “that both ears are now equal” did I turn around and give him a mouthful of non complimementary words.

0 Likes

Woke up one morning last December with loss increased from min/mod to severe. Hardly any WR. Then on Feb 14 woke up with profound SSHL Now have Bi-CROS aids. Suspected viral sinus infection. 2 MRIs say labrynthitis

0 Likes