Word Recognition Test

I am curious how this 80% is figured. Not trying to argue, just curious.

2 Likes

After I was tested in the booth the audiologist stated that about 80% of my high tones are gone and that I am working mostly off base. When you hear the tones during the test I do not hear most of the high tones. I had my son in the booth with me once and I had head sets on for the test and he was sitting a couple of feet away and he said he could hear the tones but I did not raise my hand. He was shocked I could not hear them. I do not hear an ambulance when it is near me. Lost my job teaching because the young children had the tones I lost and I could not understand what they were saying.

2 Likes

If you look at my audiogram you will see I understand what you describe. I am also sympathetic to your job loss. My word recognition is 4% and 8% at 90 and 95 dB. Just got a cochlear implant in October. Planning to get a second implant pretty soon. The implant is pretty amazing. I am still very much working to learn speech again at this time.

2 Likes

stopped working in 95. NO one would hire me. I was 47. Since then the hearing only gets worse. Your chart is really amazing. I thought my hearing was bad. yours is terrible. I feel sorry for you. hope the implants work out. I myself am waiting for an android body to put my brain in that way everything is new. Agent Orange is also eating at my body. We all have problems. Comes with getting older

This got a chuckle out of me. I actually do pretty good. Self programming has been beneficial for a number of years. Just reached a point that is frustrating concerning hearing.

The OP asks about word recognition tests. My CI evaluation used recorded voices. The first test I was told to guess. I did very bad on word tests, 4% and 8%. But on sentence understanding I happen to be really good at guessing like many of us HOH people. I did right at 60% with aids in. We are an intuitive bunch due to our hearing loss.

Good luck with cochlear implant. So you have HAs along with the implant or just on the ear that doesn’t have the implant. Sorry for my ignorance. Not too familiar with CIs. Guessing makes life interesting. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I do not understand how the 80% is calculated. Did your Audi tell you the basis of it. I don’t want to overthink this - but all the years people say for example “I only have 60% hearing in my left ear”. What does that mean? Maybe a Audi provider will post. TIA

Based on your response to the beeps during the testing in the booth. I only responded to 20% of the high tone beeps. I did not respond to 80% of them Hince-- 80% hearing loss on high tones. Plain and simple. Your audiologist should be able to tell you what percent you responded to or did not respond to.

1 Like

Thank you. I now understand-

I don’t think this is any kind of a standard. Standard is to report a dB loss.

1 Like

What does this mean. No one said anything about standard. What are you talking about?

I don’t think reporting a percentage hearing loss in a is anything that is done routinely and when it is done I don’t think it is used consistently. Word recognition scores are given as a percentage correct. The count the dots articulation index is given as a percentage correct.

3 Likes

Really sorry to hear you lost your job. I am a teacher with severe loss and worried about that also. I hope you are able to get some improvement with HAs. I am trying different ones but finding the whole business exhausting and confusing. But hopefully perseverance will produce results. I find this forum very reassuring, reading everyone’s stories.

1 Like

It has been 25 years since I taught. I miss it but I know if something goes wrong with the hearing aids I would not be able to hear the students. If I take the hearing aids out I basically hear nothing. Wearing them about 14 to 16 hours each day. Cannot do physical work due to effects of agent orange and bones deteriorating. You learn to live with it. I am lucky to have my wife of 53 years to help out. Even she gets tired of repeating. Only good thing is when I lay down to sleep I do not hear anything except the constant ringing in the ears that I am used to. I sleep really sound. To get me up you have to shake me. You will get used to the hearing loss with time do not give up. Just find someone you can lean on for support.

1 Like

Have you considered cochlear implants? You sound like me about not hearing and wife complaining. You word recognition sure sounds like a shoe in for implants. When you get tired enough not hearing, implants work for most of us.

1 Like

Eventually I will get the cochlear. What I really want is a whole body transplant. I want my brain put into and android body. Just a matter of time.

1 Like

For me as a British woman it has been a real eye-opener reading so many comments by American war veterans. You have touched my heart.

4 Likes

I just posted a new topic on sudden hearing distortion (SSHL?) and my ENT is telling me I am long past due for a CI.

It has been 2 years since you have had yours and I am very interested in how this has gone for oyu and whether you went through with the second one?

Thanks for asking.

My last testing was a couple months ago.
With implants in quiet the right is 90% and left is 95%.
In noise both sides were around 67%.

My hearing with implants continues to slowly improve.

5 Likes

Thanks for the timely update.
I assume the % you are quoting are WR results.

Interesting that you said your hearing continues to SLOWLY improve. What exactly does that mean? Become more use to the “unnatural” sound produced with the CI? Slow increase in WR results? More familiarity with how to use them?

Did you have either a ABR test or an OEC test before you opted for the CI? The later confirms that the hearing loss is associated with hair cell loss and is done at various frequencies, while the former measures signal transmission to the brain - the critical requirement for successful CI implantation.