Word recognition: Lip-reading, audiobooks, Lace?

I’m wondering which approach is most helpful. It was recommended by a friend who is an audiologist that I might want to try the Lace program. Or lip-reading classes. I’ve read on this forum that some people recommend listening to audiobooks. Though my audiogram shows mild-moderate loss, I had a real problem with understanding students in my classroom especially when there are lively discussions in groups. My Cala8s have helped a lot(!) with that, but given family history, my hearing will likely get worse. So, I’m going to do what I can to keep things as good as possible.

I’m inclined to think that getting some lip-reading training would be the most helpful thing to learn at this point. I have enjoyed audiobooks for a long time and just paired my hearing aids with my iPad, so will be listening to more of them. And then there is the LACE program. I’m inclined to wait on that and seeing how the lip-reading goes. For one thing, there are still students I can’t hear (though other instructors usually have this problem, to some extent, too) and this would help the most. It would also help in restaurants and other social settings.

But if the LACE program would help the most, I’m willing to do that. It does not sound as interesting as audiobooks :wink: or lip-reading, though. They always say the best form of exercise is the one you enjoy, because you stick with it better.

Any input on these three or other ways to help with word recognition/understanding is welcome.

When I lost my hearing at 5yrs old, I was placed in lip reading classes for about 6 weeks. I bailed out early because I didn’t want to be different. However, lip reading has been a life-saver for me, even to the point where my word recognition tanks considerably if I can’t see the speaker. Lip reading works!

I’ve taken Lace and didn’t find it very helpful. I think Rasmus cited a study where Lace didn’t show much if any improvement in a control group. There is Personalize your lip reading course, and save your progress - Lipreading.org which is free and I’ve found pretty helpful. I try to pay attention to people’s mouths when they talk and I’ve found I’m picking up lip reading best by just doing that.

Thanks, Jeff for the benefit of your experience. I’m going to start paying attention to people’s lips when they talk. Thanks for the link, Abarsanti. I tried one of the games and it looks good! I’ll try it. But if I don’t do it, I’ll just try informally. Also, I may take the subtitles off the screen when I watch videos and practice that way.

I find that I am not good at lip reading without audio input but it is surprising how much it adds if I hear part of things and have that lip reading input to compliment my hearing. I did not realize I was doing this until the audiologist covered her lips while speaking. I’ve noticed since then that seeing lips really helps along with knowing the context of a conversation especially if I am not wearing the HAs for some reason. With hearing aids seeing someone’s lips means they are facing you and are therefore in a better position for directional features to help also.

I’ve been experimenting with it, and that seems to be part of it, too, Carol. The partial words along with the lip reading help a lot. But I was never good at it when someone tried to mouth the words from across the room, like when you are a high school student or a parent trying to not let your child hear what you are saying. I’m going to continue to train myself.

I tried the lip reading website, but it required payment and my problem is fitting it into my schedule. Like the gym where you sign up and pay but never go :o So for now I’ll see how far I get with the lipreading in real life.

Everyone lip reads to a certain degree and if you want to take a course that helps improve it, it won’t hurt. I have read several clinical studies on L.A.C.E. and some have said the subjects doing the actual program have been helped significantly and others have said it doesn’t help that much. The one thing that my audiologist and several other audi’s I have talked to have said if you want to receive the benefits of it you have to be diligent and complete the course and continue practicing what they preach or you will lose what you have gained. I would think that audiobooks would be the least helpful especially if you have poor word rec scores.

I think you are right about audiobooks. Right now my word recognition is decent (though not in noise). I was thinking it might help me maintain what I already have, the use-it-or-lose-it principle, since it would help my brain continue to work with sound. I’m a big reader and of course, reading involves no sound. But you are right that it’s not a replacement for a program like lace.