Word recognition. Does it always get worse with increased loss

Have had HA for minimal loss and word recognition was 100% once corrected Now that I have lost more at 2k and 4K the word recognition was 85%.in my good ear Before my HAs were like a nice filter like putting on glasses. Now we are dealing with the real deal in hearing loss. Any insight as far as word recognition would get worse? Might I expect it to get even worse with further aging?

0 Likes

As I’ve gotten better aids my word recognition seems to have improved.

0 Likes

What brand Aids do you wear. My Beltone Boost Plus are great for everything but understanding speech . If no background noise the are pretty good but not if music or other noise

0 Likes

My question was about testing. When tested by audiologist I always had 100%. Went to ENT and was tested in booth. On that side and I only had 85% on the report. Nor wearing my HAs at the time. Saw this on report after I picked up a copy to bring to office that services my brand. Wondered what that was about

I know if people get HAS too many years after losing hearing their brain doesn’t process the sounds as well, but that is not my case.

0 Likes

I have been with Oticon for over 10 yrs. Now OPN1s. Truthfully, I don’t place much confidence in the word recognition test in any event since so much depends upon the articulation and enunciation.

2 Likes