Wireless transmitters in new hearing aids

My audi offered for my 3.7 y.o son oticon vigo pro hearing aids. They look small and nice, but they have wireless transmitter, which is aways on and emits electromagnetic radiation. It is used for syncronisation with neck loop for wireless fitting. We do not want to put on our son’s head any transmitters, so in twenty years to discover a tumor. Kids have to were aids all the time for speech development.
Then audi offered phonak Versata M, which is also has wireless transmitter, but bluetooth one. Manufacture clames that it is off, until icom is used, I am trying to confirm it from independent source. I went through manuals, but could not find confirmation,
The current listed is quite high, to think that it is off and not trying to sync with icom all the time. Anyone can confirm that info ? All new aids comming
with that wireless crap and we soon run out of the options. :frowning:
Thanks in advance.

Rest assured you have many options that are not wireless connect compatible. I wear Siemens aids with e2e wireless and love them! The volume, programs, and mics stay in sync with no effort.

There’s no need to be concerned with wireless aids. If you turn on a radio right now you’ll likely pick up a wireless signal. That same signal is passing through your body. It’s harmless.

Discuss this with an audi and you’ll realize there’s nothing to worry about.

Good Luck!

vigo are not wireles hearing aids, that thing you seen over his head as a neeck look is call Noah Link it programs the HI via bluetooth…

Now Vigo could also be program via a hipro with regular cables.

Vigo is Nearcom enable which means I did support wirelss programing
so if you dont want ask your audi to program via hiprol (regula cables)

xbulder, rest asured that that vigo and vigo pro has wireless transmitter( It also clearly stated in user’s manual) , which is always on to sync with Nearcom no matter if Nearcom is used or not. The is no way to dissable it programmaticaly it was comfirmed with manufacture .
The question is related to phonak Versata M, manufacture clames it is activated remotly and is off until that. I have never met bluetooth devices which activated remotly they always have to be enabled first to sync with each other. If you even have cell phone, you can enable or disable bluetooth through menu option. as soon as you enable it, is start transmitt signal to sinc with another divice, it is lower in power until it is used to comunicate.

bherring1964,
People smoke all the time and love it. it their’s choce. Our son would not have one. We will force HA on him all the time, while he is not sleeping, and we not want to harm him. I am not here to discuss electromagnetic radiation. I am here to find the hearing aids, which do not have always enabled wireless transmitter in hearing aids. So far I only limited with oticon and phonak as well as only one audi, since my insurance already paid him for hearing aids.

if you want to educate yourself about bluetooth radiation you can read here:
http://educate-yourself.org/lte/bluetoothdangers03spe08.shtml

I won’t address the bluetooth/EMF issue, but I think that if you have to exchange HAs for which the insurance company has already paid, you need only inform the insurance company that you exchanged within the refund period (if that’s the case) and reconcile any differences in coverage. If you return one set of HAs and get another, the insurance should be indifferent, because it’s as if they’re paying for two.

bbbbbb68, Versata can use iView and myPilot which seem to “read” how the hearing aid is currently performing, so I suppose the aid is sending to them when they are used. You may also wish to check if this sending is on also when iView and myPilot are off or not used. It would be interesting to get the information here too.

Kind regards,

Leia

There are many good/factual sources for this topic on the internet, and this is not one of them!

Thanks, but
I here not to discuss sources. Every one can beleive in any one. As Radio Engineer I do not need any. I am here to find good midrange HAs for my 3.7 y.o son, which are mini BTE and do not have transmitters in them, unless power to them can be turned off, from either oticon or phonak , since my son’s audi work with them only. He is wearing ilink phonak for 3.5 years now and we hope it would be an upgrade.

I glad that insurance paid for new midrange hearing aids and do not have issues with them, rather with HA manufactures, who leave so little choice for educated consumers:(

I think you are awesome for looking into those possibilities and protecting your son.

Thank you.

I was offered Phonak Savia Art instead. are they good?

To answer your question I think that Savia is good. You can find about my experiences with them by clicking my name above this message and then “find all posts by Leia”. Phonak’s new micro sized aids have a better fitting range than microSavia (/Art) though.

Kind regards,

Leia

Thanks, micro is not possible, since micros do not support fm system, attacment. So my Audi would fit for my son bte ones for school.

I suppose you think about Savia Art 211 dSZ. Savia (/Art) 211 is more powerful than microSavia or Vigo Pro. I became ok with the volume level of Savia 211 dSZ only after the mpo (maximum power output) was put quite some more softer than it was originally tried. I have had smaller similar trouble with other hearing aids and not only Phonak’s, but this is the most powerful I’ve tried. Once mpo was moved down they started to sound much better to me, and I noticed no negative effects on the voice. I’ve heard that children would be fitted more carefully than adults, but I still feel my experience is something I could mention. Mpo can be seen on the fitting software output graph but not on the gain graph, and it can be moved down without an effect on small voices. When mpo is moved more down than the 80 dB gain curve it takes that down too, and in my case it works better that way. If you look at the graphs yourself the gain curves need to be compared against the unaided curves which iPFG fitting software shows as pink lines when set to show them. The fitting software approximates the gain curves for some ear canal size, and since children’s ear canals vary so much that is taken into account through some kind of testing. For what I know Savia and Savia Art are quite similar, but one thing that the Art model has is a built in testing system which may help the fitting procedure (my aids don’t have it and I don’t know how it works). After the volume of loud voices was set good for me these aids have performed well.

Kind regards,

Leia

Thank you. Those the ones. HE has mild to moderate hearing loss, on low frequencies 25 db on 500 Hz on 4KHz 55-60Db
on both ears.

It appiars there is no bluetooth on Versata M, but there is transmitter. as part of the core and there is wireress comunication between hearing aids through quicksync, which can be disabled. The size of Savia Art is smaller then Versata M . Versata M is compact BTE and Savia Art 211 is a small BTE
diff about 0.3 ". My wife want them to be smaller, since if attach FM reciever it would be bigger then Ilink 311, he has now. We most likely go for Savia Art.
We do not need that wireless staff new ones came out with. I wish vigo pro had a way to dissable transmitter, since they are really small and thin.

Hi All

I am sorry that I haven’t been aware of this thread until now.

I am an audiological Trainer in Oticon A/S, Denmark, the manufacturer of a.o. Vigo hearing instruments.
You are absolutely correct that most Vigo instruments (excluding the CIC style) have a radio transmitter which is used when fitting the instruments by means of the cordless device nEARcom.

The radio transmitter in Vigo instruments is only active when it is receiving information/data from nEARcom. When the instrument is in everyday use the transmitter goes into a mode where it doesn’t transmit (or receive) any information from an external source. The instrument only becomes active when it is placed in the close proximity of a nEARcom.

When the radio transmitter is active (during the fitting process) it uses short range magnetic induction technology working at 3.84 MHz. The magnetic field strength of the transmitter is < -42 dBμA/m @ 10m.

The emission power from the radio system is well below international emission limits for human exposure. For comparison, the radiation of the hearing instrument is much lower than unintended electromagnetic radiation from for example halogen lamps, computer monitors, dishwashers etc. The hearing instrument complies with international standards concerning Electromagnetic Compatibility.

Best regards
Regitze Willemoës
International Trainer
Oticon, Denmark