Wireless headphones for TV

Hello everyone,

My first post, anyone have suggestions for a Wireless headphone for TV listening? Someone who has actually used these would help.

I use them all the time for TV listening. I had a number of cheaper headphones, but I’ve been using a pair of Sennheiser brand for the last 2 years. They seem to hold up better than the cheaper ones even though they are a little more expensive. i bought mine on ebay at a discount and they were new ones. Model 110 or 120 with transmitter work well. If you want to try used, Ebay has a used pair for $20 plus shipping now. You can buy new headphone covers if you like. I usually remove my BTE HA when I use them, although I have left the aid in as well.

PS You may need a splitter for your audio out connection. Many TVs mute the normal sound if you use the headphone output.

Hey carnutfl,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will look into these. How is the volume on these? I have a severe hearing loss, do you think they will be OK?
Thanks again,

The volume is good for my left ear ( See loss numbers). But is not strong enough for the right ear with the near deaf loss. They can be worn with a BTE HA, but prolong wearing with an aid will sometimes bother me because of the pressure from the headphones. Don’t know how they would do with an earpiece, ect.

If you wanted to try a pair first, buy them in a store that will let you return them (Best Buy, Ect.)

OK, Thanks for all your info, very much appreciated.

If you already have a set of earphones or earbuds that work for you, you might want to consider a pair of FM transmitters/receivers for TV watching. I have been using a pair of emu pipeLine transmitter/receivers for over a year for TV very successfully. The pipeLines are commonly used in commercial recording applications and can transmit high quality analog or digital audio. I got mine from B&H Photo online. Vic

Hey Vic,

Just checked with B&H and they do not carry these anymore. I did google and found one place where they are on backorder.

Seeing that I am not a techy, what installation info can you give me? I am now using some wireless headphones, will this Transmitter receiver work with these?

The headphones need either a 1/8" or 1/4" standard male stereo plug. The audio source needs a pair of the common RCA analog plug connectors. (This could also be a digital source, but would also need a D/A converter which would be more complex to wire.) The pipeLine comes with a decent manual and is fairly straightforward to connect. Good luck! Vic

UPDATE: After a quick online search it seems that the pipeLine is indeed not currently available, at least not in the USA. Too bad because it has worked well for me. There are similar solutions on the market, but seemingly at higher cost. It would probably be more cost effective to just go with a ready made wireless headphone and be done with it. Vic

I have been using wireless headphones for many years – since before hearing aids. I have been wearing hearing aids for 14 years. Most of the 900 MHz headphones were made by Recoton in Lake Mary, Florida. I think they no longer exist. I am on my 4th set of 900 Mhz. I bought the last set from Brookstone. They normally last about 5 years before they start falling apart - ear pads, cables etc.

Most have rechargeable batteries that are charged by storing the headphones on the transmitter. The rechargeable batteries last about 1 year. It helps if you get standard AA, or AAA batteries. The batteries are cheaper if you do. The cost of the wireless headphones is $80 to $140 depending on the features. True ALDs that are matched to your hearing aids are much more.

For the 900 MHz;
You can only have one transmitter in your house. If you have more than one transmitter, you will have interference.
If your phones, microwave, etc. are also 900 MHz, you will have interference.

I love them, I can go out in the yard and listen to the TV. The have an advertised range of 300 ft., but I do get a good 100-150 ft.

I am on my 3rd set of Infrared (IR) headphones. They are similar to the 900 MHz headphones, except you have to be able to see the transmitter. You can’t go out of the room that has the transmitter. I bought these at Radio Shack. They advertise a 30 ft. range and that’s about right. These cost about $40.

My next wireless headphones will probably come from Radio Shack. If I was buying now I would probably buy:

RadioShack® Rechargeable Wireless Headphones
Model: 33-280 | Catalog #: 33-280
RadioShack® Rechargeable Wireless Headphones
Price: $39.99

900 MHz
Model: HA-W600RF | Catalog #: 55027865
JVC® Wireless Headphones
Price: $69.99

I don’t have any connection with Radio Shack.

Did I mention that I am addicted to Closed Caption.

Hz-- L/R

I have the Sennheiser120’s as well and they work great. You can wander pretty much all over the house with them on and hear the TV/radio the whole time. Plus the fidelity is very good … and it’s stereo.

Well I have Philips wireless headphones with infrared transmission. This gadget puts less tress on my ears and the overall sound quality is quite good. I enjoy it while watching TV and my preferred programs.

I also have the 120’s and like them very much. In addition I have the model TR-100 on my computer and one day I was fooling around and found I can get either the TV or computer by simply tuning in the frequency on the headset. So now if I am on the computer and see something on TV that I want to hear, I just switch frequencies on the headset.

Are you sure TR-100 is the correct model number? I can’t find any mention of it on the Sennheiser site…

Just in case anyone else is interested in this system:

The Sennheiser SET840-S is a radio-frequency system I picked up on Amazon. A base unit connects to your TV and transmits to a lightweight receiver you wear hanging from a lanyard around your neck, or you can just drop it in your shirt pocket, or do both simultaneously. The receiver is about the size and weight of a deck of cards. It has a large-diameter (about 2 inches or 5 centimeters) volume control knob that works easily with one hand. You can plug your own headphones or ear buds into the receiver like you would an iPod. However, if you have manually activated t-coils in your hearing aids, you can wear a lanyard-like neckloop instead and you won’t need any headgear because it transmits wirelessly to your aids.

I’ve had my Sennheiser SET840-S system for more than three weeks [EDIT: nine months] now and I use it with light headphones several hours a day. (One day when we were snowed in I used it for at least eight hours.) I bought an inexpensive spare battery for it on Amazon since the base unit will charge one battery while you’re using another, but I’ve never needed the spare. I think you’d have to watch television for at least nine or ten hours straight to need a spare battery for this system.

I like the fact that I can use my own headphones with it; currently I’m using a pair of five-dollar Panasonic stereo headphones and they work great—very clear, clean sound. I never miss a word spoken by an adult actor of either gender anymore. (Little-kid actors I find more difficult, but I always have even when I heard well.) I haven’t had to ask my wife “Whadshesay?” even once since I’ve had this system, even though—to my wife’s great relief—the TV now runs at less than half its former volume—or even zero speaker volume—when I’m using my Sennheiser system. And movies and music stations all come through in great stereo. Beautiful.

Also, I have several times now activated the automatic t-coils in my Bernafon Veras 9CP HAs with small pieces of magnetic tape, and that has reinforced my decision to have my audiologist set up my HAs so they have a manually-activated t-coil that will work directly with my Sennheiser system. The sound is not in stereo through the t-coils, but it is very clear, and when having friends or family over for a movie or a ball game I’d much rather not be wearing headphones all evening. The system’s receiver and neckloop can disappear under my shirt, if I want.

The base unit transmitter sits on the mantle under our wall TV, which happens to be centrally located in our home. The receiver works fine no matter where I am in the house and about 80-100 feet (25-30 meters) down our driveway.

My sole regret in purchasing this system is that I didn’t buy it, or something like it, years ago.

{I originally posted this in another thread under the wrong subdivision of this forum. My apologies.}

EDIT (2913-12-05): I’ve now been using this system for more than nine months, and it still works perfectly. My Visio TV lets me turn the speaker sound all the way down to zero without affecting its output through my Sennheiser system. This is great for watching football, golf, etc., since my wife can listen to her music on our stereo system while I’m watching a game or tournament. I have traveled my system to my son’s house to watch a football game together. The whole system fits easily into a shoebox—base unit, receiver, headphones—and it set up at his house in about 20 seconds. This Sennheiser SET840-S system currently is selling on Amazon for $250.

Brand of Wirelesssir, tV ears are better too, the doctor suggest my mother. They are cheaper than Sennheiser. and my mother just a little deaf, she choose wirelesssir, product of wireless TV speaker which is applicable to sofa, i can feel that she really enjoyed this kind of tv speaker. You can have a try too.

I have Sennheiser RS160 headphones. Not cheap but really good.

I’ll throw my ears into this ring and perhaps represent the high-end option. For several years, I have been using a Williams Sound FM systemwith my home televisions. These PPA systems are not cheap by any comparison, but they are the system of choice for most churches, and many other theater/auditorium venues.

There are a few things I like about the WS PPA system that put them above all the rest in my world.
1.) The belt clip reciever is super easy and very handy for instant volume control (am I the only one who hates the high volume commercials?) WHen I watch TV, I wear a single earbud from the WS receiver (it can handle duals but is not stereo), and sit with the receiver either in my hand or pushed between the seat cushions so I can keep a finger on the volum wheel at all times. My ears will accomodate my open fit hearing aids AND an earbud at the same time, so I get the TV sound, and have the advantage of hearing aids for all other voices or noises around the house.

2.) The receivers use AA batteries that seem to last quite a while. I only watch TV maybe a couple hours per day, and it takes at least a month for me to run through a pair of AA batteries. No need to return the receiver to a charging base, or worry that if I watch too many movies in a single day that it will run down.

3.) My receivers are multi-channel receivers, so I can take my own receiver to church, or to a funeral or wedding, or the performing arts theater and tune right into their system for easy listening without having to adjust my hearing aids.

4.) With up to 1000 foot range, there’s nowhere in my house that can hide from the signal!

5.) With an inexpensive audio adapter cord (that came with my Seimens tek remote) I can plug the receiver directly into my tek or mini-tek to stream the TV audio directly to my hearing aids (although I actually prefer to use a bud(s) for the TV for richer sound quality). They also accept full headphones or any earbud set with a 3.5mm jack (watch Game of Thrones or Band of Brothers with full coverage headphones!! WOW!! )

6.) There’s also a Tele-coil neckloop for the receiver that will work with hearing aids that are TC equipped, so no buds required. I haven’t tried a neckloop with my Semiens aids because the telecoil amp is actually in the remote, not the aids, so it’s easier to just plug directly in.

My Semiens aids have blue tooth streaming, so I could do without the WS system entirely, except that the audio sound from the BT system sucks and there’s virtually no volume control that’s handy and instant. I was using the WS system before I ever got hearing aids, and have found that it is still a superior system than what my hearing aids can provide. My WS system cost around $550 which is a small fraction of what my hearing aids cost!! I actually purchased a second transmitter for the bedroom TV so I can have the same setup at both places. Pricey, yes, but worth every penny!

If I couldn’t have my WS, that Sennheiser SET840-S system looks like the closest second choice.

Hi Farfel and everybody else,

I actually went a different route than the Sennheiser and I wanted to share my experience with everybody.
First, some background… I researched a lot before I purchased anything for my father (He’s a spry 85), including info on this forum. He originally had something like the Sennheiser system, but from a cheap knockoff. He claimed that it was uncomfortable and heavy and not high quality enough.

I eventually decided to try a different route and get him an FM transmitter that could just plug into the back of his TV and a wireless receiver. I eventually found something good from a small company called Bay Ridge Audio (I think it is www.bayridgeaudio.com). I looked into all of the others (williams, listentech, etc…) and they basically all offer the exact same technology, but Bay Ridge was literally half the price. They threw in upgraded earbuds made from silicon that he loves since they are small and super lightweight. All I did was plug this tiny box into the TV and that was it.

It’s a different direction from the Sennheiser, but it’s cheaper and better quality sound. And my father is very happy with it.

Just my two cents.