Wireless fully implanted electrode, wireless mics, wireless sound processor/power supply

I’m newly deaf and in the market for a CI, maybe two.

Can somebody please tell me why Cochlear Implant manufactures have not embraced modern wireless technology?

Why do we not see a:

Wireless, fully implanted electrode. Protected from all environmental elements. Swim, shower, extremely heat/cold no problem.

Wireless mics. Could be worn as a tie-clip, necklace, earrings. Maybe wear two strategically placed on your body.

Wireless sound processor/power supply. iPhone type devise that powers the whole system from your pocket or purse.

Totally invisible and far more user friendly.

All of this technology already exists and is readily available.

Surgery would be far less traumatic and invasive. Less stuff to cram into ones head.

Device already has FDA approval. Would only be a formality to take it Wireless.

An invisible CI of this nature would cause this medical device market to explode. Millions more people would be implanted.

This tech based industry has bee shockingly stagnant since 1980. Seriously!

With the exception of a soft bendable electrode array, there has not been one significant improvement to this 1980 electrode technology in over threee decades. This is a travesty.

Why?
What’s going on?
Please help me to understand.

JSB

Sorry for your recent loss.
I love it! (your observations…not your loss) This is what is going to disrupt the business. Younger tech-savvy newcomers asking the tough questions. Indeed. Why?!

those answer are very technical, as they are about design and percise function about the implant. Not sure how much wireless will get through your skull and how much it would affect the rest of your head/brain, you might not find proper answers here…

also as a tip, the stuff you might google together might be very simplified and taken out of context to build an abstraction to explain certain specific things. putting info of different sites together like that might end up in totally wrong conclusions.

Talk to your doc, see if you get a representative from a manu on the line, and simply pick what you can get.

seems to me you’re doing studies of your own with very limited and mybe untrustworthy/ simplified materials…

As I understand it, HA’s already communicate with each other “through your skull”.
I also wonder what effect radio transmissions will have. It’s already a large-scale voluntary study of people having all sorts of transmitters attached closely to themselves.

I too am sorry for your loss. Sorry if I appear critical, but you sound like you already know the answers. It’s kind of an interesting combo of a judgmental rant and a plea for help. You might get a better response if it came off as a more sincere question.

1 Like

I would be highly shocked, if the transmission would get just straight through your head, and not simply around it.

Further to your other post that you edited…but isn’t that how innovation happens? Combining aspects of other applications into new uses?

Sorry if the replies don’t help you as much as you’d like, but there are pretty sound engineering reasons for most of them, some of them are legislative, some of them are down to industry driven standards. It’s not necessarily a lack of surgical or industrial will either. Companies like Hormann and Cochlear push the envelope all the time.

3 Likes

There are some CI with up to 22 electrodes, however all 22 can never be active. At best up to 6 electrodes are active depending on the insertion depth and angle of the electrodes.

Yes, I’ve read that 12 contacts is ideal to limit cross-talk. Now we have Liquid Crystal Polymers (LCP) and Optical Laser Inferred electrodes that can do so much more than electric shock electrodes. They are designing LCP electrodes that fit over the retna and can create sight.

Why hasn’t the CI industry embraced modern electrode technology? They still use the exact same ancient electrode array that was developed in 1980.

This has been around a while. When will the big 3 offer?

Another great essay. Far better, less traumatic, more precise. When will this be offered? It’s starting to get old.

You might look into to see if there are any clinical trials available.

Read the essay. They’ve been running trials since 2014

Then if that’s what you want, try to get into a clinical trial.

Terost, this is not true. In most cases, in CI with 22 électrodes, the 22 électrodes are activated. But obviously not at the same time since each électrodes correspond to a frequency band. There are many strategies to command the électrodes depending on the instantaneous spectrum of the sound, but many of them activate from 6 to 12 electrodes amongst the 22 depending on the patient. At each given time, the electrodes corresponding to the frequencies of the sound with the highest energy level.
Marc

1 Like