Wind noise with Phonak Marvel

My Marvel 90 aids suffers badly from wind noise. I thought they were getting better but have now found that it was because my hair was growing longer. I have just had my usual hair cut and the noise is back.
My audi says that I’m only hearing the wind and I’ve got to put up with it. What I am hearing is the wind roaring across the mike, which to my mind is not the sound I used to hear without aids.
Two questions, should the aids be able to cut this down or even out? Would I be better trying in ear aids or are they just as bad?
The only problem with in ear is I do not like occlusion, is this a problem with in ear aids?
I suppose the other answer is to grow my hair long but I do prefer it short!

I’ve got a Speech in Wind program which does an awesome job at cutting down wind noise on my Phonak’s.

When I complained about it last time I saw her adjust the bar up to 3/4 but this is in the automatic mode. Do you think I would benefit from an actual program I could use?

I’ve just looked at the features of the Phonak Marvel and they’ve got rid of their Speech in Wind feature!!! I’m truly shocked :hushed: as it’s an awesome feature.

I suppose there’s no reason why a program can’t be cobbled together. But you would have to know what was needed.

Years ago when I first got hearing aids I ruined two sets from perspiration. Supposedly they has some sort of coating on them but that didn’t work. Luckily Siemens replaced both at no cost. However I ended up getting little “socks” from Ear Gear which not only solved the perspiration issue but significantly cut wind noise. I suppose it is like the fuzzy things that reporters have on their microphones. I also bought them for my new KS8s. They are a lot of money for two little bits of Spandex but beats ruining a set of hearing aids and the elimination of wind noise is a nice bonus.

3 Likes

Yes, I may have to consider using them.

www.gearforears.com is the place where I got them.

1 Like

Speech in Wind is available but only in the PREMIUM M90 and the ADVANCED M70 versions of the Marvel:
(click to expand image)

@Zebras has pointed out that I previously posted about the wrong HA’s. M90’s, V90’s, it’s all the same to me! I have corrected the text and image of my post. Thanks, Zebras!

Source of link: see my 2nd post below

BTW, strictly ignorant suggestion here relative to my experience with Quattro’s. Don’t know if it has anything to do with the way Windblock works with the Marvel V90’s. With the Quattro’s although wind noise reduction is available under Sound Enhancer in any of the basic programs a provider would typically set up for a user, according to ReSound’s Audiology Online course, wind noise suppression works best when the HA mics are set to omnidirectional mode in the Outdoor program and one mic on each HA is set to listen to noise that occurs for one HA but not the other (wind noise) and that noise is specifically suppressed. Just suggesting Phonak users look into whether Windblock works better with some default programs than others. I don’t remember reading about this upfront in the Quattro manual and was surprised to learn about it in the Audiology Online course. Would be great if Phonak Windblock works well no matter what basic program you use-or maybe Autosense is smart enough to detect wind and switch to the program(s) that suppress wind best?

V90 is not the Marvel. V90 is Venture.

I can’t see it on the Marvel range.

Sorry about that. The right page for the Marvels, which does does show Windblock for the M90’s and M70’s is at this link and I will update my post above, noting that you corrected me. Thanks! :smiley:

https://www.phonakpro.com/us/en/products/hearing-aids/audeo-marvel/features-audeo-marvel.html

1 Like

WindBlock and Speech in Wind program works a totally different way.

OK. 3rd time is the charm! :smiley:

Maybe the answer is that Phonak feels that they’ve reduced wind and hair noise SO MUCH in the redesign of the microphone inlets for the Marvels that they no longer need a special Speech in Wind program. That any sort of suppression that was specifically engineered FORMERLY into Speech in Wind has been taken care of by the HA redesign and by having wind noise reduced by Windblock (like what would be the difference between Windblock and Speech in Wind, except that Windblock’s so aggressive it takes out speech and Speech in Wind is smarter and more conservative?).

In the following March, 2019, Audiology Online course, Phonak says the microphone inlet redesign has dropped Marvel wind and hair noise 5 dB below that of the Belong model line. (see under Fig. 1 label and also much further down under Microphone Inlets)

In this February, 2019, Audiology Online course about the Marvels, it’s mentioned that Binaural VoiceStream Technology is back and it’s used in a bunch of speech vs. noise enrichment functions, including speech in loud noise, speech in 360 degrees, or speech in wind. But I get the idea that whether or not there is a specific Speech in Wind Program, the BVST in the Marvels is supposed to maximize speech recognition, including when there is speech in wind, unless that is an ignorant line by the instructor that she just recollects out of the past.

(see under Fig. 1 listing for BVST or search page on that)

2 Likes

@jim_lewis I’m not very good at explaining so I copied and pasted.

So what makes this different from other wind noise cancellers? Firstly, it’s a binaural and not a monaural system meaning that it uses both hearing aids to communicate with one another. They work together to deduce which side has more and which side has less wind noise. Once known, the speech signal is relayed from the hearing device with the better SNR to the one with the poorer SNR.

But it’s only the low frequencies that need help, right? The low frequencies are most affected and it’s these that need to be replaced on the more affected side. The high frequencies are usually unaffected by the noise, allowing the hearing aid to keep these separate, untouched and intact.

As we can see, it’s not only the wind noise that’s attenuated (i.e. providing comfort) but it’s the better speech signal transferred to the poorer side that enhances speech understanding in this challenging acoustic environment. The maintained high frequencies allow localization cues to be retained.

3 Likes

I wear glasses and have no issues with the Ear Gear socks. gearforears.com

Thanks for all the contributions, it’s all very interesting.
One question I have is if the wind causes your aids to become very noisy, do you notice a significant reduction in the noise? My experience is the noise continues with no reduction at all.

I don’t notice a lot of wind noise reduction with the outside program on my KS8s. However there is a significant reduction with the Ear Gear “socks”. Not sure if the Outside program can be adjusted to reduce the wind noise any more than what it is.

Wind sucks through hearing aids. It’s better than it used to be. I find experienced users are more impressed with new wind programs because they know what the old ones were like, new users are not because even though it’s better than it used to be it’s not great.

I wonder if it makes a difference how occlusive one’s fit is? With an occlusive fit and Resound technology, I’m usually not bothered by wind. So I’m not hearing any low frequency components of wind directly to my ear drums and the wind/noise reduction of the HA’s otherwise does a good job. Focusandearnit liked ReSound’s wind suppression, too.