Will Custom Molds reduce Feedback at the expense of Occlusion

I have had luck modifying closed domes for cases where feedback is an issue but the user is really sensitive to occlusion. Specifically, if I make transverse cuts in a tulip dome, it makes the dome form to the ear canal better, and it has helped to reduce bothersome occlusion while maintaining a seal for feedback prevention.

1 Like

molds should improve your feedback issues for sure. For me, they’ve also improved sound quality. And of course they can be vented, which improves occlusion. For my right ear, I have No vent and have had no issues with occlusion–odd! but true. My left mold is vented–no occlusion that I ever really noticed. Even at the beginning. I’m lucky I guess, but my conductive loss OR the surgically reconstructed shape of my inner ears may account for this.

1 Like

Your hearing loss is nothing like the OP’s. Very different needs acoustically.

2 Likes

What’s the return option on the molds?

You’ll know pretty quickly whether occlusion is an issue. If you have small ear canals it sounds like it may be. That said, I live my life with constant mild occlusion from middle ear issues. Maybe you won’t care. Mostly I just can’t hear what anyone is saying when I’m eating crunchy things.

4 Likes

and this is relevant…how? the OP expressed an interest in custom molds. I wear custom molds. I made a comment, emphasizing my very particular circumstances. for most, custom molds help with feedback. This is what the OP was enquiring about.

Hey PaulC,
That is exactly what my Audi did: she cut transversely a few molds including Widex tulip mold and Otticons’ round Dome molds.
the results of those tests were:

1. an insignificant reduction of feedback
  2. the form fit to my ears was so complete it felt like like custom molds without vents, and the occlusion was a bother.

I ended up using the uncut open round domes from widex.

The feedback occurs most often while sitting in my car seat. I pushed back the headrest which helped and I am accepting annoyance, but the feedback is there.
Also my Audi shortened the wire length which helped slightly but unfortunately the new tighter wire length doesn’t follow the track of the old wire and I miss the old ones.
I think I’ll spring for custom molds and a longer wire. My next appointment is scheduled for December but I just may the queue.
Thanks for your input

Hi Neville,
The return info is:, Widex will change them up if fit, etc., is not right but no money back. The money won’t break me but I am sensitive to occlusion so it likely will be a waste
but
I’m convinced now I’ve got to jump the shark
Thanks.

You gave the impression that custom molds would definitely help him, seemingly based on your experience. Our experiences will definitely differ based on a multitude of factors.

3 Likes

Hi MDB,
My audiogram shows mild hearing loss in the upper Khz and so I do hear plenty with my natural hearing. My concern with Custom molds is that it would impede this natural hearing even if there is venting in the custom molds.
You said with respect to custom molds helping out “Our experiences will definitely differ based on a multitude of factors.”
Can you describe those factors?

2 Likes

There are a lot of different ways our hearing can be different just looking at audiogram: severity of loss, frequencies involved, flat vs sloped loss, sensorineural vs conductive loss, etc., etc. Two people can have the exact same audiogram and yet have very different experiences. Custom molds strengths are getting enough of a seal to allow enough gain without getting feedback. For the amount of gain you need, you really shouldn’t need custom molds. Another strength of custom molds, especially full shell or skeleton is that they stay in place well. I’ve rambled enough.

1 Like

You’re right, I shouldn’t have written “custom molds will help your feedback issues for sure”. With hearing aids, there is no “For sure”. That said, I’ve been reading this forum for years. Most–all?–contributors report that custom ear molds help with feedback issues.

This is a generalized statement that really doesn’t fit everyone (all). Fitting aids is a science that has to be calculated for each person. There are some rules of thumb concerning acoustics that the OP is well under as far as molds go. Molds would sacrifice his good low frequency hearing, usually. But as stated, everyone is different.

1 Like

Thanks for the video GrayG~, very informative.

1 Like

I wear Signia Pure Charge and Go and my right ear is much worse than the left. After the most recent adjustments I was having horrible feedback issues even though wearing the largest double domes. I now have a silicone custom mold with a very short insert because that ear is extremely sensitive and I LOVE it. I only occasionally notice an occlusion effect and the feedback is GONE. I don’t really need it for the other ear, but am considering it just because the one is so GREAT!!
I think I would have significant issues with the hard molds, but the silicone is wonderful!

2 Likes

Hi Lsmith,
Thanks for the feedback,
I checked out your audiogram and you are not to to different from me,
Is your custom Mould open or closed and is it vented with big or small vent, would it be possible for you to take a picture of it and post it here?,I’d love to see what works for you
Thanks.

No vent. I assume the lack of occulsion is because this is so SHORT and does not go down INTO the ear very far. Occasionally, I do get a “stopped up” feeling for a very short time and occasionally my voice sounds funny but not enough to be an issue - - Hope the pictures work for you, they are really hard to photo because they don’t lie flat!!

2 Likes

Thanks Lsmith,
The photos are helpful.
I’m definitely moving ahead with the custom Earmolds on my next visit.