Widex outdated?

I am a long time user of Widex. Started off with Senso then Senso Diva and finally Mind 440 in 2009). I would still be on Mind 440’s but the left aid is needing repair second time in 6 years. Both times, the wax guard holder fell off causing the aid to malfunction due to continued use without wax guard (my bad) :-/

To repair, my audi sends them off to Widex service who return them in 5-10 business days. It costs a few hundred but refreshes the warranty for another year as repair includes a full rebuild on existing molds. At least that’s what I’ve been given to understand.

I love the noise suppression and speech enhancement features of Widex but can not afford to buy new ones right now. If my aid didn’t need repair, I would keep them for another few years; for financials reasons as well as to wait for the blue-tooth and wireless connectivity technology to mature.

I CAN afford a pair of latest (and hopefully greatest) from Costco. But this will lock me in for five years till insurance is willing to pay for another round.

I like the Costco Service. Specifically the 90 day trial period. In past, I have felt rushed into a purchase on the usual 15-30 days trials.

If you are still reading, you are exactly the person who should advise me :slight_smile:

Should I buy a GN Resound/Trax 42 from Costco now or repair the Mind 440 and wait for a year or two before assessing the market again?

I stick my nose in this thread every once in a while because Widex were the first aids I ever tried, and while they didn’t work for me (which is a good thing because affording them would have been ugly), I’m curious about others’ reactions to them.

Anyway, why not try the Trax? As you probably know, you would have to buy to try but can get a full refund any time during the 90-day test period. I tried the KS6 and got the refund for them. No problem at all. I have the Trax now and chose them because for me the noise suppression was superior and important. So you can try the Trax or anything else Costco has and see if you prefer them to fixing the Widex again.

Well it isn’t Resound/Trax but Rexton/Trax and Resound/KS6. What would be the repair cost and you’d eat that right? So new aids would be a savings in your case. KS6 is $1800 and the Trax $2600. Don’t know what the insurance will pay but you might be able to get the accessories – should that make sense.

I am not sure I understand what you said; is it Rexton vs Trax and Resound vs KS6 or is it Rexton=Trax and Resound=KS6? The cost here in Canada is C$1,529 each. Price is same for both Resound and Trax. The repair would cost around $400 and yes, I would have to “eat” it or not eat till I pay that amount; whichever is funnier - LOL

The insurance will only pay about $2,300. I will have to chip in the rest for new aids; approximately $800.

I didn’t like Senso or Senso Diva. Too under-powered for my loss and the audiologist was not good either. But Mind 440 literally blew my mind on first fitting and one adjustment. The audi, retired since then, really knew what he was doing. I lament the day he retired and although I have since moved across the continent from him, I would have flown back to buy the new aids from him if he was working and not playing Golf in Florida :slight_smile:

The only reason I would fix Widex would be to have them as stand-bye. But I am having second thoughts. GN Resound aids are much better than I expected based on Widex reputation and Resound reputation. Also my brief experiments with different aids last time I shopped made me scurry quickly to buy the Mind 440’s. But this time around, the gap is barely perceptible. I don’t see huge technological leaps in Widex Unique while other manufacturer’s appear to have caught up to them.

Is there a market for used custom mold aids? People are still paying over $3,000 for these mind 440 units.

for your lost you may need to try many different power aids.

Well, the Rexton aren’t priced the same in RIC format; they add $800.

Studies show channels greater than 12 are of marginal benefit.

Most of speech falls below 6K with the vowels all in the low frequency range.