Widex Mind & Audibility Extender

I’m on my first week with new Widex Mind HA in left ear. No complaints, good start – certainly improves sounds, and speech in particular. Wore it in a crowded room full of people at Graduation and had no problem hearing a usually very soft spoken colleague.

However I don’t recognize any difference between “Standard” and “Audbility Extender” – I’ve been trying it outside with bird songs but it seems no different. I’ll discuss it with the Audi – but any comments?

freq: 250…500…1000…2000…3000…4000…6000…800 0
right: 5…10…10…35…40…50…55… …70
left: 10…20…15…35…48…50…60… …70

It would appear from your audiogram that your loss is such that the audibility extender feature would show no benefit. If I understand it correctly, the audibility extender moves certain sound from a frequency you can’t hear to one you can. With your loss, it looks to me like there isn’t a case where you have any frequencies that you can’t hear with the standard amplification.

Thanks - If I understand what you are saying, the standard program is giving me what I need-- the audibility extender might work for someone else with greater high frequency hearing loss?

That’s what I’m saying. Most people who tried it when it was marketed by another name didn’t like it. Imagine you have a high frequency loss, but good low frequency hearing. I think it would be kind of weird to have that high frequency shifted lower, so Momma could sing bass as well as Daddy. :stuck_out_tongue: (apologies to Johnny Cash):smiley:

The concept as I understand it is to move a frequency you can’t hear to one where you can, so it’s conceivable that other frequencies could move to other places, not just a high to a lower frequency, but I’m not certain about that.

Got it – I agree its a funny concept and it could get ugly, turning canaries into bull frogs. I’ll be curious to see what spin my audiologist puts on the concept. I’ve read that some people love it – surely love it or hate it is part of the inexact unique nature of each individual’s hearing.