Widex Evoke not worth the money

I have had the Widex Evoke Fusion 2 440 hearing aids for almost a year now. As advertised, they are very smart, smart enough to con me out of over $7000 and I don’t find them to be anything special at all. I certainly can’t recommend them to anybody for that kind of money. I really don’t find them to be any better than the last hearing aids I had that were about one third the price. I don’t find them effective at all for watching tv or a movie when using my home theater system. I purchased the Widex TV Play and it doesn’t work at all if you are using a home theater system so others can enjoy the sound it produces. Please be thorough if you’re in the trial period with your audiologist.

3 Likes

Why did you buy them then? I have to assume you had a trial before committing to paying $7000.

0 Likes

It sounds like you need to re-visit the dispenser. I tried these with one dispenser and they weren’t set up right. Done with a different dispenser & using a sensogram to fit, they are awesome. I bought another pair straight away for my son. The tv set up will always have it’s pro’s and con’s. Once the aids are set up properly they are great.

1 Like

My 30 day trial period ran out while trying to get the ear molds to work and fit properly.

0 Likes

Thank you for the information. Perhaps I do have to consider a different provider. I have also lost most of my vision so I probably rely more on what is left of my hearing than most hearing aid users.

1 Like

It’s really important for you then that these are made right. I spent many months with the previous dispenser trying to change frequencies etc and nothing seemed right. It is very isolating going through that, and frustrating. I was then forced (through branch closure) to start afresh. The new dispenser spent 45 minutes programming them up correctly-with the sensogram (sounds played directly into hearing aids and you respond when you hear them), I walked out onto the street and couldn’t believe how good everything sounded. I went to a restaurant & could hear everyone around the table. My hearing is now so good & I bought some for my son too. It really is all about the fitting, so I really hope you can get a dispenser experienced in Widex to get these set up right for you. I know it can be a slog but my son & I both have hearing loss up to 90db and function normally with these. I am sure they can be improved for you.

4 Likes

Thank you for your advice. I think you’re right with what you had to say and I certainly agree with how frustrating it really is.

0 Likes

Hello, what types of receivers are you HA : ric M, ric P or rite HP ? Thanks

0 Likes

I have evoke customs, so all in the ear. I use a Comdex to stream to phone & use the tonelink app on android for volume or if need to change programme but I stay in universal most of the time. My son is 17, he has the F2 rite, these stream direct to iPhone and have the ability to select preferences to tailor the sound classes. I found with the correct set up all the sound classes are great though.

2 Likes

tinkyp, types of receivers are you HA : ric M, ric P or rite HP ?

0 Likes

Rite. I hope I am correctly answering your question

0 Likes

Do you have any idea why it’s difficult to hear my wife who does have a soft voice unless she is looking directly at me.

0 Likes

It would be helpful if you posted your audiogram.

0 Likes

I will try to get a copy of it.

0 Likes

I can think of a couple of possible reasons. One would be that the gain is not high enough in the higher frequencies needed for the female voice. The other would be that the 50 dB or soft level gain is not set high enough. It should be possible to adjust that up, without making the medium 65 dB or loud 80 dB levels higher.

But that all depends on your hearing loss and how much the gain can be increased.

0 Likes

Here is a copy of my audio gram. Don’t know if that would tell you anything.

0 Likes

Here is how your right ear hearing loss fits on the speech banana. Without HA’s you are not hearing much of any of the letter sounds with your right ear. However, the loss is reasonably correctable up to 4 kHz in my opinion. It may be worthwhile to ask about frequency compression of the 4-8 kHz down to lower frequencies that you can hear.

This is the left ear. You should have some lower frequency speech recognition ability without HA’s up to 750 Hz or so. The loss in the 3-4 kHz range is going to require a lot of amplification, but it may be possible to get it up to the speech recognition level. Perhaps others with more experience can make better recommendations as to what might work.

1 Like

Thank you so very much for your wonderful explanation. At least now I can hope for some improvement. I really do appreciate your time and kindness.

0 Likes

Really pleased you have been given some great advice above. It really is all about the set up. With the Evokes a tick is given to the hearing aid type ie vented, bte, custom etc on the programming screen, it is important the dispenser does this. Combined with the sensogram it gives you the most accurate start point when most things should then sound right. If this is all good, then it’s hopefully just finding the frequency of your wife’s voice as above and raising it. Could she go with you for the fitting so you can see if it works whilst there? Don’t be embarrassed to push on this, it may take a few attempts but the more we all have the strength to get things right, the more we train them. It’ll be great to hear how you get on.

0 Likes

IMHO, with most Widex fittings, it’s ALL about the sensogram - you can virtually forget the original Audiogram - but pretty much all the low end venting compensation and HF bias will change - depending on the Sensogram interaction with the canal volume/impedance.

2 Likes