Widex Evoke HA's The Best?

Not sure what features Widex is missing unless it would be its own Roger type device. It’s app and SoundSense learn features are unique.

Trial all of them.

Only thing bad I think I’ve heard about Widex is the styling. :wink: (And no, I don’t think that matters, but clearly matters to some.)

LOL. That is something that would have never entered my mind. They’re small though. A bit smaller than my miniRITES were.

From a distance can you tell brands apart?
Also, they offer Passion RICs, no buttons you need a remote. Pretty sleek.

I can pick out Widex’s if I notice them. I think I can also notice Sivantos (Signia, Kirkland, Miracle Ear, Rexton, etc.) Perhaps Oticon.

I saw part of an episode of the new season of Travellors the other day and I’m pretty sure the “brain implant” one of them gets is a Phonak Audeo dummy taped to his mastoid.

I spend a lot of time looking at ears when I’m watching movies, and I would swear that hearing aids get photoshopped out intermittently because I am always seeing them flickering in and out of existance. But maybe I’m just hallucinating.

Ziplock, Mark, MDB, skyemac11, Neville,

Again, thanks for the feedback.

• Music program - It looks like the Widex, Resound, and Phonak have specific settings for music. My Costco audi set up a program on my current Rexton specifically for music. I don’t know which will be best, but I suspect that any modern HA will work sufficiently well. I’ll learn how well during the trial.

• Features comparison - This can be tricky because different vendors have somewhat different features. I think some are pretty much the same, but with different names. Or some have very similar names but are different. Such is life. I know that the Phonak and Resound have remote microphones that stream to my HA’s.
    It APPEARS that Widex has a remote microphone, but it’s not clear how it compares with others vendors’ offerings. That said, my audi mentioned that a Widex 440 didn’t need a remote microphone because you could use an iPhone as a remote microphone and that it would stream to a Widex 440. Anyone hear of that feature? Have used it?

• Styling - That’s extremely important to me. I’d like to get them in a nice mauve or puce with pink and blue sparkles that look like shooting stars. Hmmm… Maybe not. :sunglasses: Realistically, as long as they blend in with my skin, I’m pretty agnostic. And buttons are good.

• Size - My audi had a pair of Widex 440’s. When compared side by side to my Rextons, they were almost the same size. I could be wrong, but my impression is that most higher quality RIE’s are about the same size. I.e. not an issue.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Regards,

Dan.

That depends on how important the item in question is to you. There can be a big difference in how each brand sounds. What is sufficient for one may be totally unacceptable to another. No one here can tell what is or isn’t the best solution for you. You have to listen to them.

There is a good deal of difference in apps. Both Widex and Resound give the user far more flexibility, especially in tuning an aid to one’s personal preference. Some find that to be unneeded but I find it invaluable. Only you can decide.

All the features of all the brands can be found on their websites. You would do well, if you haven’t already, to take the time to familiarize yourself with each so that you aren’t dependent on getting that type of info from others who may not actually know what they say they know.

If music is important to you and you want to listen through your hearing aids, put some effort into this aspect. Getting a setup that you like is often a challenge for people. Not all hearing aids are equal in this aspect.

I believe I have a cookie bite hearing loss and after a sensogram fitting my evoke 440’s were and are awesome. They have 11 sound classes that automatically adapt to the environment. I hear lyrics I have never understood before, music is fantastic, I can hear as well as anyone else in restaurants and I could go on. With the sensogram fitting it is so accurate, your speech recognition stays super accurate in all the sound classes & sound is truly a pleasure.

Mark, MDB,

I agree with listening to how the music setting sounds in each HA.

Regarding difference in the HA apps, I was trying to be open to multiple HA software, but my impression matches yours about Widex and Resound. Having downloaded both apps to my iPhone, I can see that both have music-specific programs and their promo literature has some music ephasis. I’m looking forward to finding out how well they work.

It SEEMS like Phonak’s info about music is still more focused on voice. I.e. less focused on music quality. That said, I’ll check them out.

FYI… We’ve been having constant snowstorms here in the Seattle area for the past week. Driving is hazardous and most audi offices are closed. This is hampering my efforts to explore hearing aids. I’m hoping their office is open today.

Regards,

Dan.

tinkyp,

Thanks for the feedback. It’s good to hear (pardon the pun) from another “cookie-biter”. Your comment about lyrics struck a chord (my appologies for another pun). To this day, I’ve never listened to lyrics - I can’t hear them. It would be wonderful to actually hear the lyrics.

Best regards,

Dan.

This may be a little long, so apologies for length but I hope it’s useful.

The TL;DR version, “The first pair I’ve kept, used religiously and noticed a huge benefit from”.

The not so TL;DR version, ended up with Evoke 440s back in September last year. Original plan was to go for Phonak Marvels, but the 312T model would only be available February 2019. Mentally hit a brick wall and just couldn’t bare to wait.

I do still experience “grass is greener” moments, although will elaborate on these in a moment.

My SNR/speech-in-noise threshold is terrible and has always been so even when I was growing up in 90s with no “appreciable” loss. Shied away from noisy locations, pubs, clubs, seeing friends etc. Lip reading is too exhausting and my eye sight is not getting better.

With the Evokes over the last ~6 months, it’s become painfully obvious to me there’s a huge plethora of experiences, film lines, song lyrics, and phrases which I have heard very, very wrong.

The most eye opening (and frankly awesome) experience occurred around December in a club with hearing friends, none of whom typically struggle to understand. Of all of us, I was the only one not struggling to understand for once. It was a fantastic experience and it would be a complete lie to say no gloating occurred on my part; nice to experience the other-side. This was prior to ordering the FM+DEX to use Roger.

Happy to admit they are not perfect and do wish Widex would offer an advanced options menu in the app to control some settings dynamically rather than have this fixed per programme. All 5 slots in my case are used, Universal, Impact, Social, Music, MT. Impact and Social are used quite often in noise, both of which are specific to the Evokes.

I think the biggest greener grass moment that keeps coming to mind is Roger. There’s integrated receivers with Phonak but for Widex I have the FM+DEX with the Fusion2s (no DAI so can’t use the X receivers) to use my Roger Pen and Select with the Evokes without issue. There is a default DEX streaming programme but it seems to be some mix of Universal and Music with not a huge amount of control; it’s on my list of things to discuss at next appointment in case there is though.

Having spent some time with the rechargeable option, I wouldn’t recommend opting for it if you intend on using the TV PLAY a lot. In my case I use it throughout the day for streaming work meetings etc directly so in my case the rechargeable option doesn’t last long enough. Pretty sure @Mark_Chambers made the right choice there, whilst I didn’t :slight_smile:

Of course my usage and your experience will of course vary, but if you struggle a lot or score similar in noise to me then perhaps worth a try?

What has been critical for excellent speech recognition has been using a sensogram for the fitting. It makes the speech correctly balanced & then all the sound classes work. I had a meeting with 12 people & for the first time could hear every one of them. As I have custom moulds, every time they were re-made during the fitting process, we did the sensogram again. As the weeks pass, my brain fine tunes & even more lyrics appear. I really hope you get the opportunity to experience this. I tried several different fitters who did not set up the aids using the sensogram & it didn’t work. I then went to an audiologist who used the sensogram & in 1 hour I could hear better than I ever have done in my life. Good luck & the puns made me laugh!

I don’t want to give the impression that the app is just about music as that is not the case at all. Music is an aspect of the Widex sound. What the app allows one to do through SoundSense learn, is modify any of the programs installed to the environment you’re in and then save it for future use. I have Universal, Impact, Urban, Transport, and Music on mine. I have five modified programs on mine. Two for speech in noise situations, two for music of difference genres and one for streaming music. It gives flexibility that isn’t matched by any other aid. I don’t care how good a Universal program is at identifying an environment and adapting automatically to it, I can personalize it and make it better and that simply because no two people hear the same way. That is the real beauty of Widex app.

I can agree with @cwningen about its performance in noise. I have been in situations where I was able to hear better than those without aids.

Perhaps @cnicklo would comment as he has extensive experience with the Evoke 440.

Once more I’ll stress that my experience is my experience and YMMV

Happy to chime in here. I would agree with many of the earlier comments (and those in other threads across this board) that hearing is intensely personal and subjective. Different brands will work better for some folks than others.

I’ve recently had the opportunity to try the flagship devices from the following manufacturers - ReSound, Oticon, Phonak, Starkey and Widex. Each provides sound differently on the whole, in noise and with music. For me, Widex was the best in terms of the rich, natural quality of the sound (tone, resonance). The Evoke 440s also performed extremely well in noise (though Phonak is also quite strong here with their binaural streaming called Speech in Loud Noise (formerly StereoZoom)), and I loved their sound with music.

When making my decision, I thought a lot about how I wanted to use the hearing aids and engage with them (or not). Widex has a great app which gives the user more control than nearly any other hearing aid. The equalizer control helps me to tune music exactly to my liking whether streaming or listening live (Phonak’s app currently doesn’t even include an equalizer). But, far and away, my favorite feature of the Widex is called SoundSense Learn which enables me to “dial in” the perfect sound in any situation by listening to a series of A/B comparisons and choosing the best sounding one across a sequence. I don’t need to use SoundSense Learn that often (as the aids do a great job on their own), but knowing it’s there is a real comfort to me. I’ve worn hearing aids for nearly 19 years and there are always those situations where the aids don’t work as well as I would like. Across the years and even today with most of the brands, you’re simply stuck. With Widex, you have the power to do something about the sound in the moment. This is unique, they are improving the feature all the time and using their learning to improve their overall sound processing based on these real-time user inputs.

So - because of the rich, natural quality of the sound, their abilities in noise and music and the app with SoundSense Learn, I chose Widex and am happy every single day that I did!

Here is a sort of fable, although it’s a true story.

I sent a patient home with a set of Phonak Audeo B90s and a set of Widex Evoke 440s. When she returned, she reported that she preferred the sound quality of the audeos but preferred the connectivity and apps of the evokes. (Given time contraints during the initial appointment, we had had more time to fully verify the audeos on-ear.)

I put each set of hearing aids into the test box and matched the gain on the evokes to the gain on the audeos as precisely as I could given the limitations of the software (and widex’s crappier feedback manager). She put them back in her ears and said, “Oh great, they sound the same!” She took the Evokes.

Keep in mind that when people here are talking about manufacturer “sound quality”, they are generally comparing gain from “first fits”, which can vary dramatically from manufacturer to manufacturer. When hearing aids are adjusted to prescriptive targets, their differences fade a bit.

No doubt. But my mid range hearing on the right side is good enough that I could get by without aids in many of the situations I find myself in, and I can hear what an aid does to the sound. In universal and the music program the human voice is pretty much unaltered by the Evoke. Their Impact program changes the sound as it brightens things up quite a bit. And I do rely on the Impact program (or my own modified variation of it) for speech in noise.

And Chris up there is a good judge as he works at a clinic, is capable of tuning each of the brands and has tried all of the top level aids. He was considerable help to me when I was trialing them.

Oh, I’m certainly not saying that there are no differences. But certainly not enough to have a sort of grass-is-greener buyer’s remorse about a hearing aid that one is otherwise satisfied with.

But people are not the same and what is an insignificant difference to one may be an issue for another. I’m no doubt one of those. I start out annoyed at just having to wear hearing aids. It’s a handicap that I don’t like but have to deal with and small things add to the irritation. I don’t care if one is only a little bit better. Only that it’s better.