Widex Energy Cell Technology

I never like to be first in line to try “new HA technology” since many times HA manufactures need extended time to fine tune things before they get it right. Sure many times right out of the gate things work fine but other times it takes a few months to get everything ironed out properly.

With that said what are the thoughts about Widex new Energy Cell Technology and if it will work as promised (long term)? For those who aren’t aware Widex will soon be using the world’s smallest commercially-available fuel cell, Widex Evoke featuring Widex Energy Cell technology allowing users to reenergize their hearing aids off the grid in just 20 seconds. It will be significantly easier to handle than traditional hearing aids and never needs a battery change again.

So will new technology be:
A game changer?
Will Evoke fuel cell hold up day after day recharging?
Thoughts about using oxygen and methanol to recharge HA vs batteries?

I understand the Evoke charge kit is extremely small and can be carried in ones pocket. So sound like Widex has an advantage over larger battery charge kits. Also no batteries - period. Good for the environment and so long battery cost. My only concern is how this energy cell technology holds up over time but that’s what a warranty if supposed to cover.

Also Wonder if Widex has a patent on this new technology so other HA manufactures can’t copy?

0 Likes

I’m just conjecturing. I’d find it hard to imagine that this wouldn’t be patented. They’d either want exclusivity or at least the right to license. Will it hold up? The $64k question. :slight_smile: I’m pretty confident there will be glitches. Will it eventually win out over lithium ion rechargeables, or will something else “new and improved” come out. Just a thought. Zinc-air batteries are kind of like a disposable fuel cell. If an efficient way to recycle and reclaim the zinc and other materials were available, they still might be very competitive. They are very energy dense. Ideal would be if there a way to use an at home charger to reduce the oxydization process. Drive off the oxygen and reuse. Perhaps thats what the Z Power rechargeables attempt to do. Don’t understand the chemical process in silver zinc batteries. OK, enough of a ramble!

0 Likes

Yea I’m thinking Widex patented the technology also but I’m also thinking they’ve probably tested the energy cell technology for a couple years. It appears both rechargeable batteries and energy cell technology last 24 hours before recharging. The killer for Widex though is it takes 20 seconds or so to get the job done versus 3 to 4 hours to recharge HA batteries. So if you are at work or where ever and your HA’s go dead due to losing power - well Widex HA recharge in 20 seconds and back to work. No way that happens with rechargeable batteries.

0 Likes

I wonder about the form factor. How wide and how long will it make the HA? On paper it looks great but if it’s butt ugly it won’t cell. Pun intended.

0 Likes

I should also mention my Audi stated the “refilling kit” for Widex energy cell is extremely small and can easily be carried in one’s pant pocket. So you could have a refilling kit at home and take another one with you on trips, camping, etc. and simply carry it in your pant pocket or purse. Plus after twenty seconds of recharging at night - you can move you HA’s over to a proper dryer to take out any moisture that accumulated during the day. Could be a game changer but like everything else - its has to proven over a period of time.

0 Likes

Good point but in all honesty most people can’t even see the hearing aid “body” itself if it’s behind the ear. With women HA’s are usually covered by longer hair. With men also, but a lot depends on how short someone’s hair is cut. It’s the HA ear mold that is more noticeable since it’s more out in the open.

But proper fit is also important so we will have to see how Widex shrinks everything together.

0 Likes