Widex Dream 440 vs. Siemens Binax 7 vs. Phonak Audeo V90

I am demoing a pair of Widex Dream 440 for a week or so. Compared to the Oticon Agil Pros I have been using since 2006 the sound clarity is unbelievable.

My main issue is speech in noise. I am an actor and a comedian and I’m 44 years old living in NYC. I spend a lot of time in clubs and bars and I need to be able to hear in crowded environments. So far (4 hours) the Widex are incredible. I’m able to hear and locate sounds that I haven’t noticed in years. And the sound is incredibly natural to the point that I forget I have them in at some times. I am just curious if people have tried the Siemens Binax or Phonak with Stere Zoom and can speak to how they compare to the Widex specifically in conversations with lots of background noise.

I initially picked up a pair of Kirkland 6.0 and I find them to be garbage. I am almost positive the aids are programmed for the opposite ears as well.

I will post a follow up thread comparing my experience with these four aids after I’ve demoed them.

The Spatial Configurator on the binax is IMO an firsthand by feature. Surely worth a try in the environment you describe.

Hi there,
I trialed a pair of Widex Dream 330s about a year ago, they sounded more natural than the Phonak Audeos I was using at the time. I’ve been wearing Siemens Carat Binax for about 6 months now, best performance in noise of anything I’ve had to date. Just last night I was out with a friend at a noisy bar. Switched to narrow focus mode, and I was doing better than my friend (who has normal hearing) understanding in noise.

I’m 45 and in Brooklyn too, by the way.
Dave

I have the Audeo V90’s and rarely, if ever, touch them to change the automatic setting. I’ve tried them in many different situations and they always work to my satisfaction. I’ve never tried another brand, though.

find an audiologist you can trust

Hi,

it´s nonsense that hearing aids only work up to 10 ft. This depends on the degree of your hearing loss and on how well your brain adapts to the aids.

I can understand people in the next room. If I was able to communicate up to 10 ft only, I´d have to give up my job.

@dablyputs: It is true that the directional microphone array of the Siemens Binax 7 aids works very well. But it might be the case that you don´t really need it. It might be the case that the widex aids give you a very natural sound and your brain can do the rest (separate the speaker from the noise).

So you will need to try this out yourself. If possible, take both aids with you and make a side-by-side comparison in an acoustically demanding situation.

What he’s misquoting there is the efficacy of the directional improvement is limited to about 10 feet - though binaural beamforming can be tuned to go a bit further in terms of second and third order directionality.

Of course your hearing aids can help you hear sounds further away than 10 feet, but what they can’t do is enhance the signal to noise ratio significantly at that range. The soundfield degenerates too much to allow that kind of resolution, primarily due to local reflection from your immediate vicinity. It’s also the reason why ‘Dare-devil’ is complete tosh - nobody can resolve that level of sonar without a better array of sensors - we are not Dolphins.

If you’re trialing the dream440s (and like them this much), why not try the unique440s? I don’t know how much more they cost but I think Widex has added a bunch of useful features to them that make them a substantial upgrade from the Dreams.

From what I’ve heard (no pun intended) they’re excellent for performers, esp. actors and such.

Also, I believe Widex is pretty well supported throughout metro-nyc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

ps. I’m wearing a pair of Clear-Passion440s that were very generously donated to me. I haven’t tried any other brand but when I’ve mentioned what I’m wearing to folks I see “in the know” they’re usually quite impressed and suggest these were quite the gift. I know I’m blessed with this generous donation.

@um bongo: Thank you for clarifying this.

Well kind of… I wear the binax7 while maybe the actual focus peters out at 10 to 15 feet you are still not getting blasted with noise from behind.

— Updated —

Well kind of… I wear the binax7 while maybe the actual focus peters out at 10 to 15 feet you are still not getting blasted with noise from behind.

So, are you saying that older versions of the Trax 42 are a different technology than the current version? My understanding is that the Trax 42 were internally Siemens binax 7.

I’m using the demo pair my new audiologist had on hand which is a pair of dreams. I just met her last week and she offered to let me take out all of her manufacturer provided demonstration hearing aids with no commitment which is really generous.

If I buy Widex I’ll most likely get the Unique. I think the drastic improvement was just a reflection of how degraded my old Oticons had become. Now that I’m used to these Widex I’m having some problems with the dome in my right ear slipping out of position or feeling tool occluded and having some difficulty in noisy situations. I’m going to a play tonight so I’m excited to have new aids to try in that environment.

Thank you for this informative response.

The audi who fit me with these Widex is someone who I just started working with in my neighborhood. She is just letting me demo what she has on hand while I decide what to buy. She’s the best audi I’ve ever dealt with. I tend to avoid them because I end up so much poorer whenever I visit one. She told me these were the older Widex model. I’ll be trying her Siemens binax 7 and Audeo V90 demos in the next couple of weeks.

Your summary of the beam forming tech confirms my understanding of it. I’m looking forward to trying something that has that technology. I’ll look into the Trax 42 when I return my KS6 next week.

I think Daredevil is supposed to be like a bat but they never talk about it in depth on the show.

That’s great! Want to be friends?

I’m curious if you can comment on the difference between the 5bx and the 7bx? 7bx just has an added directionality feature is my understanding. Did you try 7bx and then opt for 5bx based on a value comparison?

Sure, would be great to meet up sometime and compare notes. I’ll send you an IM.

There are a few features that the 7bx has enhanced versions of, compared to the 5bx, and a few unique features as well.
Check this link for feature comparison:

In the end, it was a value for money decision for me. None of the unique features really “wowed” me, but your experience may be different. Adaptive streaming audio volume, speech focus to the side (as opposed to just front and back), and binaural windscreen (where LF sound is copied from the HA not experiencing wind to the other ear) are the three things that stand out as unique. The 7x has finer granularity as far as channels and gain handles go when programming as well.

Looking forward to hearing about your various trials.
Dave

— Updated —

Sure, would be great to meet up sometime and compare notes. I’ll send you an IM.

There are a few features that the 7bx has enhanced versions of, compared to the 5bx, and a few unique features as well.
Check this link for feature comparison:

In the end, it was a value for money decision for me. None of the unique features really “wowed” me, but your experience may be different. Adaptive streaming audio volume, speech focus to the side (as opposed to just front and back), and binaural windscreen (where LF sound is copied from the HA not experiencing wind to the other ear) are the three things that stand out as unique. The 7x has finer granularity as far as channels and gain handles go when programming as well.

Looking forward to hearing about your various trials.
Dave

find an audiologist you can trust

Spatial Speech Focus (tech to point the aids in any direction) no longer just activates in just car situations

​oh my…

It’s not like Widex have been offering a remote control with a big set of arrows on it for the last few years: oh, hang on a minute…!

My audiologist doesn’t have a pair of demo Unique at the moment. I understand that AE in the unique copies the sound to a lower frequency while it moves the sound to a lower frequency in the dream.

— Updated —

My audiologist doesn’t have a pair of demo Unique at the moment. I understand that AE in the unique copies the sound to a lower frequency while it moves the sound to a lower frequency in the dream.