Widex ComDex Drops Bluetooth Connection With VoiceOver Running On iPhone 5S

As a person who is totally blind, I rely on VoiceOver to use my iPhone. I was just fitted with Widex Beyond 440s, and decided to purchase the ComDex for hands free phone calls and to facilitate the use of its companion Remote Mic.

The problem I'm having involves using VoiceOver through the comDex. Despite an initial half second lag when the connection starts, which is something I can tolerate, the Bluetooth connection consistently drops about 30 seconds later. The behaviour is the same whether or not the Beyonds are paired to the iphone through setting/general/accessibility/hearing/MFI hearing aids. No matter what I do, including pairing/unpairing the ComDex with and without restarting the iPhone 5S, the problem occurs. I would have thought that VoiceOver would be treated just like any other audio stream, but,perhaps not?

Could someone out there with a ComDex and an iphone please test this for me, and/or provide ideas as to what I might do to resolve what amounts to a show-stopper?

Hello Friend. I am completely blind like you and have been using widex hearing aids for 15 years. Now I use uniqe special power 440. I use iphone and voice over. What I am writing about is a problem because com-dex recognizes only the audio stream but not the voice stream such as voice over. This is a mistake because after 30 seconds the com-dex is put into standby mode, but it is still connected to bluetooth. There is a workaround for this that I came up with myself. In order for this to work properly, you have two variants. Let’s start in order: The first option is to select audio visual/background sounds in settings/general/accessibility/under the heading hearing aids. In the background sounds section, it will be shown that they are turned off even when you adjust this at the start and do not turn it on. Choose volume 0 if you don’t want to hear them when working with voice over. Then go back to accessibility and select the accessibility shortcut. There, in addition to turning off and on with the side button, choose voice over and background sounds. The thing is that there is some audio playing in the background, but actually there are background sounds that only keep the voice over on and not off. How to use? When you have set all this and when you pair com-dex with hearing aids, the voice over will stop working. So that only you can hear it in your hearing aids, when you unlock your iPhone, you will of course feel the vibration that you have unlocked your phone. drag with two fingers to read from top to bottom to read the icons for voice over to work. Then press the big button on the com-dex and hold it until you hear the voice over start talking. when you release it, press the side button three times. Then the voice over will ask you what you want to choose in the place to turn it off. You choose the background sounds and double tap on the iphone. With this procedure, you have activated the audio that keeps the voice over on. Warning: While you are listening to music on the iPhone or the radio or whatever the audio is playing, if you pause the voice over, the voice over is interrupted again, but the background sounds are also paused. In that case, just press the big button on the com-dex and the voice over will speak again after holding it for 5 seconds and the background sounds at the lowest possible level will continue to work, and since you silenced them all the way you won’t hear them and the voice over even when you lock screen and you unlock it will work. What time do you call com-dex? Then you will repeat the first procedure, because in that case the background sounds are turned off, so when you finish the phone conversation, in order for the voice over to continue working without interruption, the same procedure for activating the background sounds that I mentioned at the beginning. Another option for using voice over is to listen to it on the loudspeaker of the phone, but in that case everyone around you hears the voice over, so I would honestly personally choose this first option even if it is more complicated. There is no interruption in this version of the voice over, but in this case it is open to all those who hear it around you. To be able to do this, you need to find your com-dex in the settings and bluetooth. In my case it’s 087. Then with a finger on more information and of course double tap. There you can choose the type of device. double tap there and select the device type speaker. In this case, the voice over is allocated to the telephone speaker. Warning: When you use voice over like this, my advice is to turn off voice over click tones as well as all side button tones. If you don’t do this, the voice over will be amplified to the maximum when the clicks are heard for 3 seconds. This is an error that iPhone has never solved so far, even if we pointed out this error to them. This error occurs on all bluetooth devices where the voice over is redirected to the telephone speaker. If you have any questions about all of this, don’t hesitate, because I personally figured out how to make the voice over work on com-dex exclusively in a hearing aid. It is important to manage in these situations.

1 Like

What I forgot is to write that I use Iphone 11 pro as well as IOS 16.2. greetings from Sarajevo
Edin

And if I thought of all this on my own, how to solve the problem, and if this topic is already 5 years old, I just found this on google. However, after com-dex, hearing aids have now appeared for which there is no longer a device on the neck, so it is used from the mobile application. Unfortunately, widex here in Sarajevo has not yet received new devices, which are models after the Evoka. What I’m interested in, and I’ve heard that Evoke also only uses a mobile application without a hearing aid on the neck, do you have experience with the iPhone, I mean voice over. Is there the same problem here as with com-dex, so the background sounds should be activated as I wrote here a while ago. Another question is whether in this case we get stereo sound while it is mono on the com-dex and I have not found any way to switch it to stereo sound. I would really be satisfied if the com-dex had the possibility or some other device that connects to the unique pasion 440 with bluetooth. Even if I have a special powerr. What I still have here is the TV Dec, which I need to analogically connect to the iPhone in order to get stereo sounds. However, to be honest, when I want to listen, I have a lot of cables or when I’m on the move, in order for the iPhone to listen like this, I have to turn on the base from the TV dex to the power bank. This means a large number of cables plus tv dex on the neck. In this case, only the audio stream is active without the possibility of making phone calls, because the tv dex does not have its own microphone, so the microphone from the iphone is used while listening to the sound on the tv dex. It is not at all practical to carry this with so many cables to be used in transport just to hear stereo sounds. Another question is whether in this case the sound has been corrected when the conversation is being held, because if you are talking via comdex, you have to speak directly into the xom-dex microphone that is on the neck, and then the tone is weaker than when the interlocutor with whom you are having a conversation listens to you from microphone from iphone. Is this problem solved with the newer widex hearing aids that have the ability to connect via iphone without a neck device? I would like you to write me a lot about this because as a completely blind person I am interested in this. Youtube and pictures are unavailable for me. And if I don’t speak English, google translator does a great job. In addition to the Croatian language from which I write to you, I also speak a little German, but this way I can correspond with you without any problems, with the fact that Google Translate translates what you write very well. However, when it comes to the PC, I understand English commands and if I don’t know English, I can speak. Many greetings from Sarajevo and I ask the administrators to approve these messages and to ask widex users of newer models to answer my questions.
Greetings from Sarajevo.
Edin

Ok well those Evoke models didn’t need the Com-dex as they were MFi, however for android yes, your using iPhone 11, should be no problem, stereo with MFi streaming as well.

You need the Widex compass to check exactly what you need and how to do it, check your PM.

The new Moment models are on the forum for you read.

https://forum.hearingtracker.com/search?q=Widex%20moment%20