Widex BEYOND 440, streaming calls but not hands-free

I am trying Widex BEYOND 440 for two days now. I came up to a serious problem with the phone calls through Iphone 7. The call audios are being streamed very well to the aids, and by the way the option to select which ear to be streamed easily through the phone and the app is very handy. The problem is the microphone which is used during the call; the Widex BEYOND 440 system is automatically using the Iphone’s bottom built-in microphone and not the microphones on the aids. So you end up with holding the Iphone close to your mouth to be heard by the person on the other end of the call !!!
You can’t put your phone into your pocket etc. Big shortcoming for such an advance aids not to be hands free.
Has anyone been able to change the microphone to the ones on the aids ? (like Phonak Audeo)
Thanks in advance to everyone who will share their experience.

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge, the Phonak Audeo B Direct is the only hearing aid that can use a hearing aid microphone on a phone call and can be truly hands free without an additional device. There are other compromises that come with that though. Your Widex is working as designed. There are devices that you can wear around your neck that would allow truly hands free calls with the Widex.

2 Likes

I have had Widex Beyond Fusion 2 440 for almost 4 weeks now. I am having no trouble streaming calls to my iPhone SE (still on iOS 10.3.2). I always put the phone either in my shirt pocket or lay it on a surface such as a desk or bench within arms reach. Works fine for me.

1 Like

Using the HA mics on a call may not always be an advantage. I used Oticon Opn1s with an iPhone for three years with streaming audio to the HAs but using the iPhone mic. Now I’m in a trial of Phonak Marvel 90s that switch both the audio and the mic to the HAs on a call.

I have had many callers say they cannot hear me well when there is any noise around me. In the past, I could just move the phone closer to my mouth and cup my hand around it to control the noise. Now I have to move to a quieter location. I wish you could control the mic source separately from the audio.

1 Like

Used Oticon OPN for over 2 years and actually like the mic being used on the phone vs something built in. I can control it more.

1 Like

I just put the phone in my shirt pocket upside down and I’m hands free.

2 Likes