Why so few programs with new hearing aids?

When I trialed Marvel T13 I also didn’t notice (hear) autosense changing. To be honest I only gave the HA’s a 7 day trial and returned because they were not providing enough "gain’ for my hearing loss. Of course Phonak claims the range of these hearing aids goes from mild to profound which is a stretch. If you have a mild hearing loss you buy a hearing aid to deal with that loss (within the proper range), leaving room for future hearing loss. If you have a profound hearing loss - you buy a HA that has deals with a profound hearing loss. Its called a “power aid” and is best with 675 battery. Sorry, but I don’t buy the Phonak Marvel concept of “one HA” fits all with some “off the chart” fitting range.

I do feel though that Phonak does make good hearing aids with the “marvel” providing some new features that other HA’s don’t offer. You will find over time various hearing brands will rise and sink depending upon performance and cost. OTC hearing aids coming will impact the “market” for good or bad over the next few years. Its a changing market with mergers and cheaper aids coming for those with mild to mid range hearing losses.

I do agree with this. My friend also trialed the Audeo Marvel but found there wasn’t enough gain for her profound loss. She’s always worn Phonaks so she’s waiting until they come out with the UP version.

2 Likes

It all has to do with which receivers the hearing aids have. It also depends on the domes/ ear molds. If you have a severe to profound hearing loss domes will not cut it. I am betting you didn’t have the correct receivers and the aids just had domes. If so that wasn’t a fair demonstration of the capacity of the aids.

5 Likes

cvkemp - we’ve been down this road before, I’ve been wearing hearing aids since 1980 and really don’t need your “guessing games”. Please realize there are others on this board that might have more HA experience they you.

Just trying to help , but I guess you are a lot like some the VA clinic ask me to help that just will not gracefully accept anyone’s help. So I will leave you with your beer.
There are two type of people normally: the ones that think positively and the one that think negatively, and you cannot help the negative thinking people.

5 Likes

CV, you have always been very helpful to me and I thank you for that. I go into Costco on Tuesday for my first fitting. I bought the Resound Preza 8 which I guess is the same as the Resound Quattro. When I made my selection the dispenser said something about four programs. I have tried to find that in resound.com but I am unable to. I guess I am not clicking all the right links. But anyway I did see all
their Specs before.

I have to ask him about the Auto Sense. I am so anxious I can’t wait. Wonder if anyone else on here has that Preza 8 model.

I also had a new audio gram but it is not much different than the previous one. But it did show that I had only 60 WR @ 60 Decibles SRT. I don’t know what WRS/SRS1 is because that showed Decibles at 85. Oh well these are all questions I can ask on Tuesday.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

You are so full of yourself you stink

5 Likes

No need to be so rude @hold4triple !!!

4 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Autosense performance also depends very strongly on the tuning done by the audiologist. You can enable and disable certain things (Speech in Loud Noise), you can change wind and noise blocking on a per-Autosense mode basis, you can change the speed at which Autosense will switch given changing conditions, you can change how much Autosense will control impulse noises, and you can change the actual sound output gains for each individual Autosense mode (there’s probably more but I remember these things off the top of my head). Now, is a typical audiologist going to do that? Probably not. But, especially if you self program or fiddle with the settings once they’re baselined by your audi, you can get them to operate better. But, you have to communicate with your audi about that (and, to be COMPLETELY fair, Phonak doesn’t make this really well known to the end user - it is, however, described to some extent on their website for professionals, which in fact anyone can access).

4 Likes

When I had bilateral aids I wore Phonak. Even though I had room for 6 programs the most I ever had was 3. Automatic, Telecoil & car program. The car program wasn’t very satisfactory either, mostly because it totally depended upon where I was sitting in the vehicle.
Now that I’ve got Resound aid, I still only have 2 programs, automatic & Telecoil.
I’m just curious, if you had more room for programs what would you have?

I think that fitters don’t do their due diligence of properly fitting aid for the trial. If they didn’t do REM, test you with word recognition and tweak until you got good results, what exactly information you can get from such trial?

If your fitter was like that, then you can trial it for a months and still not have a clue if that device would work for you.

On the other hand, if your first fit was 2h long with all measurements before and during the fit and you left with ability to understand, then you can see how the aid will work in your everyday situation.

And yes, additional fits will help to adjust HA to your needs.

But point of wearing it at home isn’t to decide if it’s powerful enough for you, that should be found out at the office and you shouldn’t even go out of there with aid that can’t give you what you need.

Your wants are checked through trialing, but your needs should be met from the first fit. Why on earth would fitter fit you with not enough powerful aid and let you go out?

Ability of aid isn’t determined by chart from manufacturer (only) but through the verification with you, eg adjusting aids until speech recognition is satisfactory to you.

To me your experience sounds like your fitter doesn’t have a clue how to do proper fit and therefore trialing. Or what’s the purpose of both.

That doesn’t have anything with you or your experience in wearing hearing aids. We shouldn’t be pushed to self adjusting / diy if fitters would do proper professional work in the first place.

I trialed phonak marvel m70 twice. First time, with nice guy but I concluded that I’m better on my own. Then finally I found someone doing proper measurements and fitting, and oh boy, same device, same custom mold and insanely different results. With first (and we did spend some time ‘adjusting’ it by ‘how do you hear me now’ method) I couldn’t understand everything said on TV 2m from me. Anything more complex was a failure. Keep in mind, I have one good ear, so that means that signal coming out of the HA for another ear was so useless that it killed my brain’s ability to recognise speech.

Two weeks after I gave back the aid, I got new one, same device, but proper fit. Not only I don’t need to watch tv to hear it (on average), but for the first time I could understand my hubby speaking from my bad side, while we were in a busy parking garage of a shopping centre.

Same device, insanely different fitting procedures, and insanely different results.

So, if you like device features, try it with some better fitter. Even if it’s 2h away, you won’t probably need so many visits as you’ll need with a bad fitter. Like, 1-3 (2h) visits could be enough for good fit, unless your environment needs are complicated.

As to autosense on marvels, someone mentioned it can be adjusted even when it will switch. And yes, you have only 3 completely customisable programs. Like almost different audiograms customisable, I mean, you can impact all frequencies, not just turning on and off of special features like noise reduction etc.

However with the app, you can adjust each program on the fly (which focus, bass/middle/trebble, noise cancelling, volume of course, decrease loud-increase soft) and save it if you want. I don’t know the limit there, but also, you don’t have to save it, if you need it just once.

However, you have to manually switch back to autosense when you’re done. That part I forget :rofl:

Oh and my new audi said that his goal is that I don’t need the app adjustments for my usual every day needs. Plus good speech recognition score.

However I do have moderate-profound or something reverse slope hearing loss aka low frequencies are dead which is very hard to fit. And by my short experience with several fitters in my life, all but one had no clue how to approach it so that I can get nice results.

I thought that it wasn’t possible for me to get good speech understanding, but only stereo sound. That’s how bad previous ones are :smiley:

2 Likes

There are only 4 programs on my Oticon Xceed S1 UPs.

1 Like

Which is three more than most people use 95% of the time.

It might seem like the professionals are limiting your options, but looking at the data logging, most people use a single program pretty much exclusively. ALL major brands default first program tends to be automatic unless you deliberately remove it.

By Pareto, even in fixed (non-Auto) aids the second program gets about 20% and the third around 4%. So the need for more than four is pretty moot.

I’d even argue that if you were finding that you were actively using four programs at even usage, you’ve bought a technology step below where you need to be.

5 Likes

The only one that never gets beyond the old tricks is you. I wish there was a way to block you completely off this forum

4 Likes

Curious about NR if it reduces the ability to understand speech any? I could understand speech more clearly in music mode (as long as it was in quiet environment) which didn’t have any filtering or NR.

I believe I’ve read that too strong of noise reduction settings can reduce speech understanding.

Yes yes yes, it can reduce Speech! I’ve found that out on my Phonaks.

Noise reduction reduces gain to reduce noise. That includes speech. At least that is my understanding.
Tuning is so important concerning this.