Why is it so hard to find the forum on the home page?

I think this is a step back. We have a good community here, and it’s now challenging to find under the submenus. I think the approach that’s been taken on the front page is potentially less is more, and I will say it does look better. But I think it is reasonable to have one of the top header options be the forum. Or am I missing it? I will say I would have been unlikely to find this forum given its current layout.

Screenshot attached.

1 Like

I’ve notice that too. Curious if there’s a reason. I think I found the forum originally through google searches and it still comes up frequently in hearing aid searches, so I’d guess that’s how most get here. Not a big deal to me, but I’d prefer it being easier and more obvious to back and forth between the two.

1 Like

Hard? The little drop-down called Resources…Hearing Aid Forum.
But you’ve been here a while. Don’t you have a bookmark saved direct to the forum?

2 Likes

From the home page click the round thing in the upper right corner.
Then click forum profile.
The forum selection shows then.

I found it and am not worried about my ability to navigate - I worry about future people’s ability to find it.

2 Likes

Don’t want to be negative here because the forum is a very valuable tool for myself and a lot of other people with hearing loss. I image it is a advertising thing to expose people to all that is available because this website is more than just the forum.

1 Like

I tried for 20 minutes and gave up trying to get in from the home page. I know I’m very IT challenged, but this just added to my torture of being challenged . I had to go and find an old email to get myself into the forum.

1 Like

@AbramBaileyAuD? 20 characters

@z10user2 my point proved by the above post. hearing aid wearers are often generally of a generation that sometimes struggles with technology. (no disrespect meant)

1 Like

I don’t want to sound cynical but am just being practical. Abram has a business to run. The more interest his website can generate in value-added services the more successful he’s likely to be. If folks interested in hearing aids come straight to this forum, perhaps the advice they’ll get from half the forum members will be, “Go straight to Costco.” Abram would like audiologists to be able to advertise their services and educate consumers at his site without necessarily having us with our rambunctious opinions add noise to the message. The forum used to come up very high on the list of Google and Bing search hits (try “ear molds or domes” - without the quotes). So anyone who searches is likely to come across the forum and anyone who comes first to the main hearingtracker.com site deserves the opportunity to find out what the main site offers before immediately being shunted to this site. Perhaps after they’ve read articles on the main site, they’ll have lots of questions they’d like to ask and when they search for answers, I bet the forum comes up a lot and many folks end up here at least to find out what it’s all about, anyway. I just think that the healthier Abram’s main business interests are the healthier the forum will be for the long-term, too. We might seek to have a symbiotic relationship and find the best articles on the main site to refer forum questioners to for more details if those articles should be equal to anything else in the outside world. Not sure what part of Dr. Cliff’s YouTube efforts are supported by Hearing Tracker but at least Dr. Cliff might serve as an example of a symbiotic relationship with the forum and with the main website. And perhaps the advantage of the forum is centuries(?) of user experience available for sharing and answering questions. But we don’t want to be the tail wagging the dog. We just want the dog to have a nice healthy beautiful tail and be a beautiful balanced creature overall.

1 Like

Since I have the forum marked, I don’t use the home page, so I had to go look at it.

I thought it was hard to find the forum before . . . I would often direct friends to it and have to guide them. Now, no one looking for a hearing forum is ever going to find it. I guess as some suggested, that is not the point of the website, it is a business site, the forum is incidental. In that case, the set up makes sense.

But anyone with hearing loss looking for info online is rarely going to find this forum with that new setup. I love forums belong to quite a few. Great way to gain info. I often will Google: ‘whatever topic I need help with’ forum. (hearing forum, cat forum, Prius forum as examples). I doubt Google is even going to find this now, though I know nothing re coding.

1 Like

Lots of interesting theories here, but honestly the issue was making space for the new logo, which is wider than the old icon-only logo. I absolutely wanted to have a link to the forum front and center and I’m currently procuring some new icons from a designer that will be used to call out each of the main sections on the site. Of course the forum will be front and center, as it’s something I actively want people to discover. Thanks for your patience while I continue making modifications to the home page :wink:

7 Likes

Glad to hear! I wondered if it was still under development or a permanent change. Thanks Abram.

Interesting analogy with the dog, Jim! Lol

1 Like

Point proven. :slight_smile:
by the way … <- this was a line of periods. The system will truncate it down to the 3. It’s a trick to work around the 20 characters and not look like it. Works for a few characters.

1 Like

Woof! Woof! :dog2: :slightly_smiling_face:

BTW, “Wag the Dog!” is probably one of Dustin Huffman’s lesser known movies but I’ve often thought about the theme since seeing the movie. Recommend it.

1 Like

no matter how I try, I can’t add hearing to bookmarks. It’s not an option when I click on the arrow up button, top right.

What is that browser anyway?
Maybe there’s a keystroke rather than a button.
Are you able to add other sites than this one?