(Why) is Costco perceived as second rate? Cultural context?

Perceived as “Buying Wholesale” Costco has Great Hearing Aids from some of the Top Manufacturers,you on average save $500 per Set over Brick and Morter and they have all the bells and whistles even Free Remote follow up Visits,as i write this I see Costco has the latest Kirkland 10.0 Rechargeable w/Telecoil for $1399.00 which are Phonak Bolero Premium Rechargeable at $2289.00,a $900.00 savings so who cares what others think about the worlds Largest Members Only Retailer.

@btrauma58

KS10 are the basically the Phonak Audeo P90 RT, not the Bolero. Bolero are BTE where’s the KS10 and Audeo are RIC Aids.

2 Likes

I don’t know about any other Kirkland hearing aids, but the KS10.0T are, as far as I can tell, functionally identical to the Phonak Audeo Paradise 90RT. It is true that Costco hearing centers do not offer the tinnitus-reduction feature, but that is not because the aids do not have it but because Costco’s version of the fitting software lacks it. I have made some adjustments to my own KS10.0T aids using the standard Target software, and I see the tinnitus-reduction features, although I have not tried them. Perhaps an independent AuD would have no difficulty enabling that feature.

The functionality is still there for these aids and the jabra /resound. I’ve read they don’t enable it because the results are hit or miss and the fear of too many frustrated customers that have something that doesn’t help with tinnitus. I get it although might not make the same choice. Oddly enough, for me I enabled the tinnitus feature in my jabra aids and it didn’t really do anything for me :(. I’ve spent a lot of time between the jabra program as well as others and none of them really work for me. Just trying to forget about it is the best solution for me. Just typing this brought it right back :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Yes, the time I’m most aware of my tinnitus is when somebody mentions it! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I try to embrace Tinnitus, except it for what it is, part of me……Years ago, it did stress me out, sleeping sometimes became very challenging. But, during my “Meniers” years, Tinnitus became a blessing, as the noise, went off the scale, it alerted me that a Meniers attack was now extremely imminent, it was time to lie-down, before the whole room started moving…. Nowadays, I actively seek out Tinnitus, to check out how it is sounding…. It has changed over the years, previously I had 2 separate sounds, a washing machine on full spin in one ear, and sort of heavy static white noise, in the other, although I could not differentiate from which ear, where either sound was coming, most disconcerting! One of my main banes since my initial hearing loss, is I have no idea of sound directionality, none whatsoever, all sound seems bidirectional, which on a couple of occasions nearly got me run over whilst crossing the road… Now, I mostly only get white noise, occasionally it will become extremely loud (usually if I am unwell) but, through the 30 odd years of having Tinnitus, it no longer worries me, I can easily ignore it, and if it is particularly loud, I can suppress it, takes a bit of practice, and concentration, although I am unsure as to how I actually achieve this, I just tell myself, this will become quieter, as we all know, it always becomes quieter eventually, perhaps this just relaxes me, and the Tinnitus drifts away…. Cheers Kev :wink:

7 Likes

Who cares what anyone thinks or says. Yes you can learn how to buy hearing aids here and pitfalls you should try to avoid. But where you buy your aids and whether you will be happy with the experience is up to you. Anyone who says only buy Costco or avoid audi’s, well that’s ridiculous. The opposite is just as ridiculous. Also anyone telling which aid you should buy based on your loss is also ridiculous. Take your time. Keep an open mind. Don’t allow yourself to be be pressured or become stressed. Ask questions. Plan for follow up visits for adjustments. But don’t let anyone tell you what you should do or should not do. We’re all different. The same with our hearing losses. Good luck. Take your time

5 Likes

I got my first hearing aid from an Audiologist in 12/18 (very nice man). I was a newbie and knew nothing. I thought I was getting Premium hearing but turns out I paid a high price for the lowest Phonak Audeo model. Did not like them and could not wear them to adapt like I was supposed to as I was in and out of the hospital numerous times. Gave them to my son who could not afford HAs.

So now here I am about 3 1/2 years later getting HAs and I am going with Costco. The Audiologist is very expensive for a Premium HA. I get up to $3000 from my insurance and that does not go far with an Audiologist. So far I am impressed with Costco and all the benefits that come with the purchase. IMHO you don’t get that from the Audiologist.

2 Likes

People who are used to paying lots of money might think its “too good to be true”

The last time I checked, Costco “reps / fitters” aren’t available via email to address my questions or concerns. My audiologist answers me even on weekends.

When my Marvel’s died on a Sunday, I contacted my audiologist and she had a emergency programmed loaner available for me Monday morning. Will Costco do that?

Are filters and domes free at Costco ? Mine are free at my audiologist.

Yes, I paid more for my hearing aids at my audiologist than what Costco charges. But over the past 3+ years, I’ve seen my audiologist for a variety of reasons, given supplies, etc and was never charged for anything.

Purchase price shouldn’t be the only consideration. Customer service & care are equally important.

1 Like

Costco will supply free domes and wax filters for as long as you own the aids. They will replace receivers at no charge for the 3 year warranty period and if one used a Costco Visa to make the purchase, that would be extended for another 2 years.

12 Likes

For me, there are local Costco stores. But the few that also provide hearing are over a 2 hour round trip drive away. Which is very bad now that gas prices have spiked.

If Costco works for some people that’s wonderful. Other’s prefer or need a more personalized service with good audiologists.

Yes, there are bad ones at Costco and in audiologist offices.

Bashing audiologist for pricing may be fun. But shaming people for not using Costco isn’t funny or helpful.

My stance is still that pricing shouldn’t be the only deciding factor in getting hearing aids. Good customer service and quality of care are equally important.

4 Likes

Sorry you’ve felt some of us were shaming people for not using Costco. Certainly not my intent, but I do get rather frustrated with people spreading misinformation about Costco: (their hearing aids are old, they’re locked, etc.) and do feel dutybound to correct misinformation. I’m glad you’ve found an audiologist that meets your needs and that you can afford.

11 Likes

I don’t think it’s so much that Costco is horrible so much as folks on this Forum are pretty obnoxious about promoting Costco above all else. Not everybody has one nearby but it seems like folks on here think you should pack up & move just so you can get your HAs there & only there. I just start tuning out whenever the Costco Cult pipes up.

3 Likes

There’s a costco close by where I live. there’s also a hearing aid center even closer–but both are within six miles. When I needed aids I went to the hearing aid center. The audi, who turned out to be the owner, was very forthcoming and knowledgable. His shops sells five different brands. I had budget consraints. He paired me with an affordable Phonak model. And he knew how to program a dedicated musician program. the aids would have a trial period.
Of course as a newbie to all this I still was looking around. I went to the costco. The experience was odd. The audis seemed less competent. One of the aids I trialed in store didn’t work at all. The other was programmed weird but I didn’t realize it. And I didn’t like trialing the aids in the store. The atmosphere and the acoustics are horrible.
I ended up paying more for aids that I liked better at the local shop. And now it’s fifteen years later. i’ve bought another pair at the same shop. they did my cleanings and upkeep during the other years. They know me and I know them. I trust them. I can walk in for a cleaning and get an appt. in less than a week.
My guess is that a lot of costco audi’s float through and go elsewhere. Who would want to work in that environment? I like knowing my audis. I trust them. they know my preferences and needs. As a muscian, I’m really picky about sound quality and programming. This shop can do that.
And I’m willing to pay more for newer, better quality aids.

1 Like

Obnoxiously recommend a specific supplier over an entire marketing model? Who are they being obnoxious to?

But they give 180 days trial, like this is longer then the trial you would have got from your “local” guy.

But you were happy to trial in the office from your “local” guy.

No different from your trial in the office.

Costco offers most if not all the brands as well, you can choose your favourite colour as well!

No one, as in no one can beat Costco on this matter, top premium models for a 3rd of the price from most “local” clinics.

Fair enough.

In what way? Costco sell the latest models of the same quality as well.

Hopefully you can see the two sides to this… is it true you kept your first pair of HAs for 15 years?

5 Likes

The first thing I thought when I read this was "The truth hurts.”

2 Likes

We know from several attempts to discredit that Costco sells for less than independents can buy. To a much lesser extent that’s also true here in the UK for Specsavers and Boots too.

Cliff reviewed the 10T (paradise 90) on his channel and desperately tried to find problems or reasons to spend 3x.

Hundreds of comments thanking him for showing just what you (don’t) lose by paying 30%.

The skill and attentiveness of the exact person setting the aids up matters hugely whether employed by Costco or sitting in their own office. Unless you have reliable evidence that part is pot luck - hence the need for risk free trials and to quiz the potential supplier re their exact fitting and tuning offering.

2 Likes

I agree with most of your sentiments @SteveCh, and @tenkan makes many valid points…. My nearest Costco is around 220 miles away, so they are slightly out of my range, I have never actually been in a Costco store…. That doesn’t stop me promoting Costco at every given opportunity, it is a very valid alternative when money is tight, you get top end aids, at knockdown prices…. And yes, many make sense of the validity of seeing their local A.uD seem very plausible, especially if your local A.uD is very good, and cares about their clients, but unfortunately that is a bit of a lottery, not all Hearing Care Professionals were created equal, some see you as a cash-cow, others will bend over backwards to accommodate…. As always YMMV. Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like