Why do people have a cell phone and a landline phone?

I personally have issues hearing calls with a landline phone, I have a smartphone that can stream straight to my hearing aids and I keep it on me most of the time. Now my wife is the one that just has to have a landline and I accept that but I don’t answer it and if there is a call to it that I need to hear then i hav to use the speakerphone capacity

I haven’t had a landline in eleven years. Can’t see ever having one. In case of emergency there’s always the HT (not that I’d probably be able to hear through it terribly well at this point, but it’s there; I could monitor my wife to use it in an emergency).

During the last hurricane all that worked in my area was the land lines. Power to the cell towers were out and batteries drained. Standby generator were brought in to recharge the battery backups. Only then did we get cell service back without having to drive to fine a working tower.

2 Likes

I kept my landline because my internet service provider gave it to me free for two years when I upgraded to their fiber optic service. After that two year period it’s just $10 a month and for that price I’ll keep it just to have a backup. I actually hear better when streaming with my cell phone but I live alone and tend to take my hearing aids out when I get home. When not streaming I definitely hear better with the land line with the volume turned up as compared to the cell phone when not streaming. Also like someone else mentioned I’m not in the habit of carrying my cell phone around the house with me therefore the land line with a couple of extensions is a much better option. Add that to the fact that landline users are generally smarter, better looking and just all around superior people. I’ll just keep it, thank you. :laughing:

3 Likes

Older too. You can keep it. :slight_smile:

Grandpa, Daddy says I should ask you, he doesn’t know,

What is a landline?

1 Like

that sounds like something one of my sons would say :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As I mentioned earlier, I have both as it’s very inexpensive for me to keep the landline. I use both the cell and the landline and give out both numbers. However for those of you who are keeping a landline ONLY because you live in a poor cellphone reception area there is always Wi-Fi calling on the cell phone. It’s easy to set up on your cellphone and it works great and it’s probably included in the price you are already paying. You do need internet service but those of us on this forum already have that or we wouldn’t be here. With Wi-Fi calling, poor cell reception is not an issue.

We don’t have a landline, but after an emergency ambulence ride I considered it. Our emergency services can find an landline more easily than a cell (which seems absurd since uber can find my cell lickety split). Plus, if I’d left the cellphone on a different floor of the house, if I’d been alone, I wouldn’t have been able to crawl for it, though I understand you can get handsets to disperse around your house that connect up to the cell.

2 Likes

We still have both but only ever use our mobiles. Neither of us can hear a thing on our BT landline so it sits upstairs on the base at all times and very rarely does anyone use it to contact us. Just as well cos neither of us would hear it ring up there!

Since 2004 I have no landline phone but we have a landline active jack got a medical monitoring device. There’s a phone number for it but we never use it for phone service. Next winter the 2 year FIOS will expire and we will be switching to a device that connects to WiFi.

Many years ago when our grand son was about five years old he walked in to our bedroom where I had an old heavy black dial phone that was used by the Radisson hotel. He said “what’s that? “ Husband threw it out during one of our moves and I was so sorry because it had excellent sound quality.

I still have a land line phone (of sorts), magic jack. The only reason I have it is that my alarm system needs dial tone to dial out.

Easy.

1. Landline call quality is typically superior to cell phones.
  2. There are more speaker phone options on landline phones with far better quality than cell phones.
  3. It’s nice to have a traditional “house phone” for kids in the home to call their friends and vice-versa. This is especially true for tweens/teens. They can use a cell phone when out and about but must use the house phone when at home.
  4. I’d rather provide my home phone number to companies that my cell phone.
  5. My landline has a CaptionCall phone with captioning service.
2 Likes

We removed the landline some 15 years ago after we found it had become annoying and no longer served any purpose.

Here in the UK we are in the unfortunate position that you need a landline to get your Internet connection in most instances, especially so if you live out in the sticks where 4G might not be an option and internet via cable isn’t an option either… It is no great hardship though as some of the ISP’s will cut you a deal with free calls, a TV package or whatever, I am quite fortunate with my FTTC landline as I get around 70mb download and about 18mb upload, the new FTTC cabinet is less than 100 yards away from my front door (Fiber To The Cabinet and then copper down the last 100 yards of landline) and it is a world away from my old connection of 3mb download and 1mb upload, 70mb is unheard of before in the remote Scottish Highlands… Now saying all that do I use the landline phone, tis extremely rare for me to actually use it, might use it once or twice a year on an incoming call, but I tend not to answer these as if anyone is looking for me the will call my cell phone which is connected to my marvels and the landline is usually some cold call seller… Cheers Kev :slight_smile:

First: I can still hear reasonably well on the Landline phone AND it has the capability of connecting with blue tooth so if you have a hearing aid with classic blue tooth, you can use it on that phone too.

1 The biggest reason I have a Landline - - actually a VOIP - - is because in any disaster (storms, earthquakes etc) it gives me 2 different ways to possibly communicate. Cell towers go down, get over loaded, my landline may still work.
2 I also have a Captel phone on that line which I find unbelievably useful when I have to talk to “tech support” in India!!!
3 I have a Google Voice number which rings both my cell and my VOIP line. I have never given the VOIP number to ANYONE. If ONLY that line rings it is junk and I do not answer. That is the line that gets the robo calls and I just do not answer them. The number I give out to businesses . . . is my Google Voice Number and friends have the cell number.
4 I have Amazon Echo Dot’s in multiple locations and the Echo Connect device which plugs into the land line and allows me to make telephone calls through Alexa. I am 75 years old, live alone and have had Osteoporosis for many years. That is my “emergency call” system instead of wearing a medical alert button that cost me $30/mo and would only call 911!!! If I fall and cannot get up, I can use Alexa to call a friend or neighbor or 911 if that is necessary.

This sounds like us too. Our choices are satellite, hot spot or DSL. The DSL turns out to be our best choice using the phone line.

We did away with the land line phone about 12 years ago. My wife put a cell phone in my hand and said use it! The leash!

1 Like

When we moved into this housing development 10+ years ago, the only line available to use was DSL phone and internet at 25Mbps. My wife has a sister that lives in Canada and calls to Canada were extra–something like 200 or 250 minutes for about $10/month and $$ for each extra minute after. Blowing through the 200 or 250 minutes a month was a piece of cake for my wife and her sister!
Our cell carrier was either AT&T or Verizon, both of which charge extra for calls to Canada, and their reception was bad at the house. So, I switched the DSL phone to VoIP and had unlimited calls to Canada. The VoIP was through a base station/answer machine with cordless phones in every room. We’ve since switched our cell carrier to T-Mobile with unlimited everything, including Canada, but we prefer using the conveniently located cordless phones. And, I’ve never had a cell phone conversation, no matter where I’m located, that’s as clear as a landline or VoIP call. So, I have no intention of getting rid of the VoIP line or phones.

2 Likes

Bingo. And guess what - your landline phone doesn’t need to be charged every night, nor does it run the risk of being dead in the morning because someone forget to recharge it.

2 Likes