Why do people have a cell phone and a landline phone?

We removed the landline some 15 years ago after we found it had become annoying and no longer served any purpose.

Here in the UK we are in the unfortunate position that you need a landline to get your Internet connection in most instances, especially so if you live out in the sticks where 4G might not be an option and internet via cable isn’t an option either… It is no great hardship though as some of the ISP’s will cut you a deal with free calls, a TV package or whatever, I am quite fortunate with my FTTC landline as I get around 70mb download and about 18mb upload, the new FTTC cabinet is less than 100 yards away from my front door (Fiber To The Cabinet and then copper down the last 100 yards of landline) and it is a world away from my old connection of 3mb download and 1mb upload, 70mb is unheard of before in the remote Scottish Highlands… Now saying all that do I use the landline phone, tis extremely rare for me to actually use it, might use it once or twice a year on an incoming call, but I tend not to answer these as if anyone is looking for me the will call my cell phone which is connected to my marvels and the landline is usually some cold call seller… Cheers Kev :slight_smile:

First: I can still hear reasonably well on the Landline phone AND it has the capability of connecting with blue tooth so if you have a hearing aid with classic blue tooth, you can use it on that phone too.

1 The biggest reason I have a Landline - - actually a VOIP - - is because in any disaster (storms, earthquakes etc) it gives me 2 different ways to possibly communicate. Cell towers go down, get over loaded, my landline may still work.
2 I also have a Captel phone on that line which I find unbelievably useful when I have to talk to “tech support” in India!!!
3 I have a Google Voice number which rings both my cell and my VOIP line. I have never given the VOIP number to ANYONE. If ONLY that line rings it is junk and I do not answer. That is the line that gets the robo calls and I just do not answer them. The number I give out to businesses . . . is my Google Voice Number and friends have the cell number.
4 I have Amazon Echo Dot’s in multiple locations and the Echo Connect device which plugs into the land line and allows me to make telephone calls through Alexa. I am 75 years old, live alone and have had Osteoporosis for many years. That is my “emergency call” system instead of wearing a medical alert button that cost me $30/mo and would only call 911!!! If I fall and cannot get up, I can use Alexa to call a friend or neighbor or 911 if that is necessary.

This sounds like us too. Our choices are satellite, hot spot or DSL. The DSL turns out to be our best choice using the phone line.

We did away with the land line phone about 12 years ago. My wife put a cell phone in my hand and said use it! The leash!

1 Like

When we moved into this housing development 10+ years ago, the only line available to use was DSL phone and internet at 25Mbps. My wife has a sister that lives in Canada and calls to Canada were extra–something like 200 or 250 minutes for about $10/month and $$ for each extra minute after. Blowing through the 200 or 250 minutes a month was a piece of cake for my wife and her sister!
Our cell carrier was either AT&T or Verizon, both of which charge extra for calls to Canada, and their reception was bad at the house. So, I switched the DSL phone to VoIP and had unlimited calls to Canada. The VoIP was through a base station/answer machine with cordless phones in every room. We’ve since switched our cell carrier to T-Mobile with unlimited everything, including Canada, but we prefer using the conveniently located cordless phones. And, I’ve never had a cell phone conversation, no matter where I’m located, that’s as clear as a landline or VoIP call. So, I have no intention of getting rid of the VoIP line or phones.

2 Likes

Bingo. And guess what - your landline phone doesn’t need to be charged every night, nor does it run the risk of being dead in the morning because someone forget to recharge it.

2 Likes

We are in an area prone to hurricanes. Usually the land lines are back up and running before cell towers. Reception on the land line is better here and multiple people can pick up on land line extensions that are better than trying to listen in on a cell speaker.

1 Like

I still have a landline since I use Tracfone for my cell service. For my usage pattern, it is far cheaper than most if not all unlimited talk services. But the landline has zero operating cost since I use obi with google voice.

A

Tonight t-mobile has gone down. No phone calls, no texting. Thank God for my landline.

1 Like

My phone can use either cell towers or WiFi, but the default when home is voice over WiFi. I’ve never had it happen that both WiFi and cell towers go out at the same time. I’m in the Atlanta area, so we don’t have hurricanes. I suppose a tornado could take out both cell towers and WiFi. But if it did that, the phone wires would likely be down too. If everything were down I could always drive to a live cell tower if I really needed a connection. Try that with a landline. :smiley:

2 Likes

I think I have some extensions in a box somewhere if someone wants to give it a go. :slight_smile:

My comment was mean as humor, considering the timing. It didn’t really require a response. But Ok.

Now I see the humor! I see in my newsfeed this morning that T-Mobile phone service was down for up to 12 hours starting at noon yesterday in some areas of the country. I wasn’t affected here in an Atlanta suburb. Anyway, your point taken. I was trying for humor too, offering to take a landline phone extension out of the house to a cell tower and making it work. Oh well, a lot of humor, and meaning gets lost in message texts. Peace and stay safe out there.

Voila :smiley:

We had a single point of failure last year. Our small town is connected via a single fiber cable to the internet. All phone calls are routed via the internet nowadays. Even those called by mobile phone. A construction site in our town’s centre scratched this single fiber. It took 2 hours until we were online again by landline and cell phone.

Yes. Texting falls short when it comes to humor. You stay safe down there in Atlanta. It doesn’t seem to take much these days to set people off

1 Like

While I Live in a decent sized city. I’m in a valley with zero cellular service. I’m lucky if I get 1 bar. So having a landline is essential for us.

Plus, only friends and family have my cell phone number. 90% of the spam calls go to the landline. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

@Dani we had the same issue maybe 10 years ago in the town I lived in in Southern California out in the high desert. A road construction crew accidentally cut the one fiber connection into town. All the internet, all the landline and cell phones, all the ATMs, all the credit card swipers, everything went down. Took over 24 hours to repair. It was really weird. And that was in a town with one of the US’ major weapons testing facilities. (Same location as the July 4/5 earthquakes in 2019…that’s when we knew for sure we were high tailing it out of there.)

1 Like

Some keep it for their Fax machines.

1 Like

Good point. Forgot about that.

Fax’s can be sent to an email address thats how my work did.