Which models of Widex hearing aids are available from the VA?

My father had an appointment at Costco today for hearing aids; they gave him one time, they called to change it. We went and then we were told it was scheduled early AM, which he missed, he can’t get a new appointment until September - this after waiting four months; they claim not to have called to change the appointment but it was on our answering machine. Long and short, we’re angry so rather than go there, he’ll make the damn trek to the VA, which is no way close to us. He has Widex Dream which is a RIC model, but wants a BTE with no wax guards, custom plastic ear mold and thick wires - just the basic vanilla so to speak. I don’t know if Dream model exists anymore. Is anyone familiar with what models from Widex the VA has in 2020?

First of all, is he eligible to get hearing aids from the VA–does he have a hearing disability? Is the VA your considering going to open–many are still closed for COVID-19. So, getting an appointment soon won’t be possible.

He does have Widex Dream hearing aids from the VA. The reason why he was trying to see if he could get it at Costco was of the distance from our home to the VA. However, he got his last pair at there as he’s a veteran and he’s eligible for a new set. The Dream model he got was a RIC which he doesn’t want again. He wants a BTE with no wax guards and custom plastic mold. However, the Widex line, like everything else, seems to change frequently and I don’t know what model options he has available to him. He is planning to call to see if they’re open but frankly as many stores are now, I can’t see why they wouldn’t be.

1 Like

How far is too far for free $6k+ aids?

1 Like

So no one knows the current models available at the VA for BTE from Widex?

A phone call might be a good way to find out. Then you can tell the forum what you have learned.

1 Like

The same current models available from any other source.

The Veteran’s Administration has contracts in place with six major hearing aid manufacturers - GN ReSound, Oticon, Phonak, Siemens (Signia), Starkey, and Widex. The VA uses the manufacturer’s premium levels of technology-the same hearing aids that sell for the highest prices in the private sector.

1 Like

The VA hearing aid contract is released in May and in Oct or Nov. I was told Oct but Nov is the 6 month mark. If a new hearing aid update is released too close before one of those contract months, it probably won’t show up until the next contract release. I was told at the local VA Clinic the VA doesn’t pick up new hearing aid releases for at least 6 months after release, but I’ve seems to happen much sooner.

1 Like