Which hearing aid is the best

… What does BGN mean?

Any opinions on “the best” for very noisy loud bar situations?

At least a couple of us think it means BackGround Noise.

1 Like

My vote would go to any recent Phonak with a Roger On.

1 Like

Yeah Back Ground Noise. Oticon More’s sure don’t do me any good with that!

Sometimes patience is a good thing. It takes your brain time to learn how to deal with the sounds. It can be challenging.

1 Like

I just want to say that a number of the responses to Gorgeguy’s original post are asking what BGN stands for. I was just about to write in and ask when I scrolled down and saw it had been asked a couple of times already.

It does not stand for Busch Grand National (NASCAR division) or Boldly Going Nowhere. It is background noise.

Could we all please not assume that everyone is as familiar with hearing aid terminology and its acronyms as some of you are?

Not only does this make many of us feel under-informed and left out (as if we don’t already feel that way when we can’t hear what everyone else is laughing at), it also makes those of you who do know all the acronyms seem a little bit elitist.

Thanks in advance,
HIAF (Hearing Impaired and Frustrated)

4 Likes

I would answer, the one that works best for your fit and hearing condition.

That’s all

3 Likes

The best hearing aids are the hearing aids that the Audiologist performed a GOOD Hearing Test. My wife and myself have had hearing test at Kaiser and at Hearing Aid dispensors that have Audiologist with Doctor degrees. They are happy with mearsuring your hearing loss to ‘+’ or ‘-’ 10 db and only measure at 250 hz, 500 hz 1000 hz and every 1000 hz out to 8000 hz. Yet GOOD hearing aids have 20 channels over that range of frequencies. To be fair tinninitus makes it difficult to hear the sounds at the low volume that are used for hearing test. If the test were run using sound you hear until you do not hear it the results would be better.
As some audiologist will say the actual amplification is only about 50 percent of your actual hearing loss due to some issues with what we can use without our brains not accepting the volume of sound.

BGN in audiology stands for “background noise” .

What does SEO mean? Usually I can eventually determine the meaning of a strange word but this time I cannot.

Search Engine Optimization (Google works wonders)

2 Likes

And inaccurate. The definition of the hearing threshold is 50% detection on upwards runs, and everything has been built off of that. There is no “true” threshold, so we hold to a standard. If you take the threshold from downwards runs you’re right, they’ll be “better” and then the hearing aids will be underfit given that prescriptive targets were developed using the standard definition.

4 Likes

Hi Neville,

Is that affecting me with my audiogram? What does underfit mean?

I’m a year and a half into wearing my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90’s and still concerned I’m not hearing well. I’ve had 3 sets of Phonaks in last 10 years. My last ones were absolutely terrible, so I changed audiologists and have respect for the gentleman I see now.

Thanks so much
DaveL

No, not unless you’re clinician is doing hearing tests incorrectly, which I do not suspect is the case. I just didn’t want people to read that above comment and think that that was the way a hearing test should be done and that their clinicians were doing something wrong.

2 Likes

Thanks Neville. Much appreciated.

That’s like asking which make of car is the best…

2 Likes

I found that when they test your hearing, they only test a few frequencies.
I found this tone generator in one of the post here on Hearing Tracker ( Online Tone Generator - generate pure tones of any frequency (szynalski.com).
I found that there are frequencies between the test frequencies that I hear better that the test frequencies, maybe a=for a range of a (6) hz span. I have always complained of to many highs and was told I need these highs. When adjusting the test frequencies they overpowered what I was hearing with no way of knowing because I was not tested for that frequency! I can hear down to 15 hz but I loose it at 1000 hz. Just sit in front of your computer and adjust to a comfortable loudness and slide the tone slide slowly from low to high. The tone will become and louder go as you pass through the untested frequancies!

1 Like

This thread shows HA wearers and AUDs including Dr Cliff (we) do not understand how the 20 or more channels amplify 20 different frequencies. How testing at 9 frequencies starting at 250 Hz and ending at 8000 hz provide good hearing? The tone generator could help if used wisely. The constant music in my ears make the standard test nearly impossible to establish the correct hearing loss

1 Like

That is false to say that widex is for only minimal hearing loss,… im almost certain every single manufacturer makes hearing aids that can be programmed for all types of hearing loss!