Here is a brand comparison chart to use at your own discretion - www[dot]cochlearimplantonline[dot]com/site/cochlear-implant/brand-names/brand-comparison-chart/ (Be sure to replace [dot] with ‘.’)
While every brand has unique strategies and features, the end results are the same - every recipients are given great quality of hearing!
People choose brands based on some of these reasons:
- Surgeon’s and audiologist’s preferences
- Engineering design
- Sound processors features
- Waterproof/water resistance ratings
- The appearance of the sound processors
- Some try on the sound processors and decide which one fits more comfortably
- Microphone design
- Customer service that they received during candidacy process
- Personal experiences of other cochlear implant recipients with whom they connected.
Remember, cochlear implant is just a tool - it’s the auditory rehabilitation that you receive after the activation that will help you receive the best results.
Also, beware of people who will try to tell you that one is the “best” or trash talk other brands - there are quite a few of them out there.
I have Cochlear - Nucleus 24 internal with Nucleus 5 Sound Processor. I will be happy to share my personal experiences as someone who has been hearing with cochlear implants for 23 years, if you would like. However, I can’t share the experience of how I chose Cochlear not only because I received the cochlear implant as a child, but also because it was the only brand available at the time when I received it in 1989.
I will also be happy to put you in touch with Advanced Bionics recipients and also MED-EL recipients if you like so that you can learn more about their experiences in using their brand - just please e-mail me at cochlear[at]rachelchaikof[dot]com and I will give you their contact info.