Where to find Genie 1, Oticon's legacy software to download?

Ok so I can only say what you most likely already know, but you have to get this part right, whether domes or custom molds, it’s critical to get this part right and then have your HAs probably programmed to suit.
Now if you’ve had some custom molds made before that you really liked, then it can definitely be done again, I can’t understand why this isn’t happening, other then the impression is not being done correctly.
Also different manufacturers
(it’s not your audiologist that makes them) have different results, Widex is as good as any others.

So your heading into severe loss, I personally would be trying a different clinic to get those Widex moment fit correctly, domes from Widex should be a good start (Phonak domes fit as well) honestly those deltas are not in anyway helping you hear compared what the moment can offer.

Also a good solution from @Zebras, as those slim tubes are a much smaller diameter, but since you already have the moments, maybe your audiology clinic will swap/change for you?

1 Like

Zebras??? Are they hearing aids? I have mentioned BTE’s but all audiologists say I will have the SAME problem, which I do not understand, because babies wear BTE’s. Yeah, Starkey, the other independent mold manufacture- Westtone, Beltone tried to duplicate my tiny, old, broken Oticon molds but failed.

BTE VS RIC, except you would want BTE with small thin tubes instead of big ear hooks like in this comparison. RIC vs. BTE Hearing Aids: What to Choose? | Amplifon

Example of thin tubes;

1 Like

I’m confused by your post.

I’ve shown you pictures of both a BTE Aid with thin tubes / domes and a RIC Aid in the past and your response back then, was the BTE Aid was too big despite using a size 312 battery even tho you wouldn’t have a receiver in your ear.

1 Like

Ok, I will ask my audiologist again about BTE’s. The appt is in a week.

Hi. I talked to my audi. She said my hearing is too far gone (a 70-75 flat loss) to wear a slim tube. The slim tube would still have an attachment to it. She gave me the new Widex Sheer rechargeable to demo for a week. I used in the M receivers with 8mm double domes, and my ears started hurting within 2 hours- I’m going to end up paying $4,300 for the lower- tier Widex 220 to torture myself. My canals still hurt ta lot oday, almost 20 hours later. I’m going to ask her if a HUGE mold would hold the receiver so it just skims my ear canal, without entering inside.
I still need to find a Hi/mini pro…

That seems odd as there’s power slim tubes available which I fit with my hearing loss and my hearing loss is worse then yours.

Yes you do need a dome, you can’t wear nothing with the slim tube.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll ask her about the power slim tubes. Are they in between the “slim” tubes and regular fat ones? t/u

@hilary

They are thin tubes but with moulds which can be as small as domes or they can be full ear moulds.

You don’t need to have a full ear mould.

There is no receiver with the power thin tubes.

1 Like

Hello, I am new of using HA. I have bought a pair of Oticon Alta Pro from eBay for $200. After reading blogs in this Forum, I have learned lots of info about HA and regret to know that my Alta HA is made by old tech. I am interesting to do DIY fitting and programming therefore have bought an Oticon FittingLINK WP-2 from eBay for $80. And bought a Bluetooth USB dongle/adapter. Please tell me where to download the Genie 2017.1 Legacy software. Thanks a million!

1 Like

Hi @user253 Welcome to the DIY (semi-hidden) category of the forum.

Tip: Click any PVC Avatar to find DIY School.
Suggested DIY School reading;

• 02 How to Program Your Hearing Aids
  • Fitting Instructions Oticon Genie; Alta-Nera-Ria-Agil-Epoq

You don’t really need the USB Dongle.

Wireless fitting - FittingLINK
FittingLINK provides a wireless link (Bluetooth) between the PC
and one or two wireless enabled hearing instruments. In addition
FittingLINK can be used via a USB cable connected to the PC.

Tip: If you also have the ability for selling your Alta’s in the future, perhaps you could keep an eye out for upgrading to a pair of OPN 1’s for $300 or so (Not to be confused with OpnS 1s).

Welcome to the forum, good on you for trying DIY, it’s not very difficult to do and the results can be surprising for some, you got the FittingLink as well, a great little device for wireless programming especially with the bluetooth dongle, but if not at least you can use a USB cable.
I think the TIP mentioned above is good advice, as you say those Alta models are quite old now, lots of good deals on eBay.
Good luck.

Did you know there is also an Alta1 version of these old hearing aids? It was a special version designed specifically for the VA/Veterans Administration. But don’t worry. You will likely never see the Oticon Alta1 version :wink:

Interesting facts, funny thing is the way Oticon would throw those names around like it was something special Alta, Alta Pro, Alta2, but they weren’t alone in doing this.

I buy the FittingLINK because I have downloaded “DIY School - (v2.0).zip” and extracted “02 How to Program Your Hearing Aids.pdf” and read about it. I do need a Bluetooth dongle/adapter because my old laptop does not have a Bluetooth device. I was not aware that wearing HA’s needs so much efforts to make them work good on me. I remember read somewhere in this forum to get/download the software Genie 2017.1 version. May be I am wrong but end up that I need to get the software from Oticon.

It is frustrated that I did go to an audiologist office. On the phone appointment, the technician said she could do fitting and programming for me for $95. But when I was there, she said that she did not know that I’ve bought an old Oticon Alta. She has the programmer device with Genie 2 software. She said that will not work for my HA. She called Oticon to get Genie 1 software and asked me come back a week later. A week later, I called her and she said still not having the software. I lost all confidence but to seek DIY now. Please advise me where can I find Genie 1?

Sure I see your frustrations, my FittingLink only worked with the factory supplied Bluetooth dongle, but you can use a USB cable.
The Genie2 software comes with the legacy version for your Alta

Did you read your PM/Private Message?

btw> You don’t have to download the entire DIY School. Just click any PDF file within DIY School and you can view the one PDF file in your browser.

Look at your green-U Avatar c2 on the upper right of your browser!
Is it growing any little notification ears. Click it!

Also, you don’t need the USB Dongle. You can connect FittingLINK to your PC using a USB cable.

No, I don’t think so. I don’t recommend using proprietary wireless hearing aid programming devices because they are going obsolete. But it’s okay to use them in special situations because they are cheap. Here’s a clipped image from DIY School;

You are right :+1:. My laptop using a USB Bluetooth 5.1 dongle can only pair to the FittingLink but never connect to it. The USB 2.0 cable does work and detects the FittingLink. Here is my experience.

• Genie 2017.1 programming
  1. Use a USB 2.0 cable to connect the FittingLink WP-2 to a laptop PC running Windows.
  2. After the new device is detected, the PC Device Manager shows the Human Interface Device has both “HID-compliant vendor-defined device” and “USB input device”.
  3. Open Genie 2017.1 app
  4. Click at Preferences menu and then EDIT Preferences.
  5. Select the Programming Device function on the left pan. Click the DETECT button and wait for FittingLink to be detected. When detected click OK.
  6. Insert fresh batteries in the HAs and place them on each side of the FittingLink neckpiece.
  7. Select CLIENT organizer and create a new client.
  8. Select FAMILY organizer and click DETECT to detect your HAs.
  9. Do the following features …
1 Like

Thanks to your Genie 2017.1 software. It does do fitting and programming to my old Oticon Alta Pro hearing aids. :pray: :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes