When did you realize you needed hearing help?

I knew for several years that my hearing wasn’t great, but I just thought it was a mild loss that is common with aging. People just mumbled all the time. And anyway, I could hear speech just fine, I just couldn’t understand any of it. I’ve never been much for big social events, and I found myself avoiding them entirely because I couldn’t follow any conversation.

Finally, when I realised I couldn’t understand most of what people were saying in a quiet room and speaking directly to me, I had my hearing tested. I was shocked–though in retrospect, I shouldn’t have been–to be diagnosed with a moderate to severe bilateral SN hearing loss. My audi told me I needed a very strong prescription, and she was practically yelling at me to get me to understand!

Hearing aids made a huge difference, but it’s been pretty much downhill ever since with the respect to the amount of amplification I need. I still do OK, but sure miss the old days.

Just as Hammond I knew that I had hearing problems since a very long time, but had my first test mid 2006 at the age of 48. The test confirmed that I needed hearing aids. I had a first trial, but it was a complete disaster. I couldn’t cope with all the sounds that overwhelmed me. I was used to and loved my relatively quiet world and now I was supposed to wear the HA almost 10 hours a day from day one. And at the time I was certainly not prepared to pay as much for aids I would avoid to wear.

In 2011 I had my 2nd test and trial. I was prepared that HA are not as glasses, but still couldn’t cope with the amount of sounds that I was confronted with. So again I didn’t purchase them, as I was not able to wear them at work and still couldn’t justify the high price.

This year I had my 3rd test and it confirmed what I experience every day for the last 2 years : my hearing loss has deteriorated further and it becomes a real handicap. So I started my 3rd trial a week ago with the Linx2 961 with custom molds. For the moment in comfort mode. It’s the first time I can wear HA all day from day one without being exhausted :slight_smile:

My audi works for Amplifon and carries ReSound, Phonak and Beltone. So I suppose I also will give Phonak a try again.

Gittje, I’m with you on enjoying the quiet. I often go without my hearing aids when I don’t have to speak with anyone. But needless to say, I really can’t hear any speech without them.

Getting used to them just takes time. Your brain reprograms itself to adapt to the new sounds and the relative volume of noise that comes along with the things you want to hear. Everyone is different, but it took me about a week of full time wear to be comfortable wearing them. And after a month or two, I could hear and understand speech in situations that I couldn’t when I first started wearing them.

Glad I am not the only one!

I am relieved that the start of my 3rd trial is way better than the former ones. For the moment I am listening to my beloved classical music on the “normal” way (= not through the Sennheiser headphones) with HA on the music program and it sounds so much better :smiley:

Speech understanding is already better, but merely in more quiet situations.

I was diagnosed with a mid frequency loss age 7, after my mum dragged me to hearing test after hearing test where they said I wasn’t operating but was fine because my speech was typical. A teacher thought I had hearing loss as her husband did and finally I was diagnosed after some tests that I couldn’t cheat on.

I first had an inkling my hearing might have got worse, beyond a seemingly ‘middle ear’ related fluctuation from a cold, about a two years ago. Thought I must be paranoid having had stable hearing for so long. A year later I got an appointment to fix a muffled aid - sure either that ear had got worse or the aid was a duff. Oddly the hearing turned out to be symmetrical but turning the left aid up fixed it. It’s been getting slowly but steadily worse since then and my audiology department are undoubtedly sick of seeing me.

I’ve never got on with aids having ASD that makes sensory processing more difficulty but my new Oticon Spirit Synergies are holding up better than any previously.

Hello,
I got my first “abnormal” audiogram when I was 24. I realized lying on my bed I was able to hear the wall clock ticking with my right ear only.

I went to the ENT for a simple ear cleaning… he told me my ears were already very clean, and sent me to the audiogram room.

“OMG, your audiogram looks horrible”, said the doctor, but I was so convinced I was hearing perfectly (and the doctor’s equipment was doing wrong) that I go home and I made the test again by myself, using stuff from university lab (I was graduating in the electronics engineering). Well, this was enough to convince me :slight_smile:

Anyway, I simply ignored my problem until it was possible, doing my best with lips-reading and bluffing. But 3 years ago I resolved to take a new job in a worldwide company, and I gave up: foreign languages (english, french and german) were to difficult with hearing loss. So I took another audiogram check for the insurance (better at high freqs, worse at middle, same at low) and I got my first HAs 6 months ago.

Now I’m 38, and english at the phone sounds better!

So, for me, 14 years :slight_smile: