What unique thing you would like hearing aids to do?

While being at home due to the COVID-19 issue I got to thinking about what unique or unusual thing I would like HA to be able to do. After reading about the Starkey Livio Edge AI hearing aid and the features it can do(body tracking, brain tracking, fall detection) got me thinking about what unusual feature I would like HAs to do. One thing that came to mind was the capability to recognize certain voices and programmed to react to those voices. For example program the HA to recognize my wife’s voice and then go mute when it recognizes her voice(just kidding). How about the ability for the HA to act like Amazon Alexa(without the need for a cellphone). Just say HA turn down volume by 2 decibels and the HA would decrease volume. Or say HA change to music mode. Or say HA reminding me I have a doctor’s appointment tomorrow at 9AM.
Your thoughts?

4 Likes

I just would like my aids to correct my hearing like my glasses correct my vision. Yes that isn’t possible I know

11 Likes

Yes that would be nice. Need a prescription for glasses but glasses do not need programming, or battery changes, updated technology, and glasses do a good job correcting your vision

3 Likes

How about charge in five minutes for a day’s use, an hour for a week’s use, and have a battery that’s still serviceable by the end user?

Translate different languages?

3 Likes

Noise cancelling. Like noise cancelling headphones for when you want silence.

7 Likes

The idea of voice recognition and then adjust the band pass for that voice!!! Eliminate all background noise while that recognized voice is talking!!! Have room for several voice profiles.

4 Likes

Unique? Help me hear voices better than car keys, dishes, room noise, etc. They all try by are not good enough at it for me to call them successful.

8 Likes

I agree. My big wish is for them to actually give me better hearing, and have decent sound. Not like a very cheap old fashioned transistor radio. I could do without all the wireless connectivity that seems to be the rage these days. And by the way, my eyeglasses do not restore perfect vision. It still sucks, like my hearing.

4 Likes

Why not? I would like my glasses to correct my vision like my CI correct my hearing. THAT’s still not possible although there is ongoing investigation since at least 2 decades.
But you’re right, HAs should do their main job: try to restore inteligibility as far as possible.

I’m in health care and I would like for a Bluetooth stethoscope to stream directly to my aids like my phone calls and music do. As is, I have to have a COM-DEX (I have Widex Moments) and it’s a whole process having to launch apps and such to just avoid having to remove my aides for blood pressures.

2 Likes

Hearing aids will never correct my hearing the way that glasses have corrected my vision. That is a fact. As of now a CI is out of the question, even with my Audi hindding at a CI I still have too much of my hearing left. My real problem is that I have very poor word understanding.

That’s the one thing I’ll miss after having to wear the hearphones for two weeks while waiting on HAs to come in. They did a better job of NC than any of the ear protection we have here at the shop. Now I’ll have to turn the aids off and then put protection on.

1 Like

My aids with custom earmolds and 1mm vents can be easily muted. Doing this is about the best noise canceling I have had that includes ear muffs and really good ear plugs.

3 Likes

The identification of one consonant sometimes come at the expense of a decrease in the identification of one or more other consonants. I would like to see a smart hearing aid that fine tunes frequency lowering parameters on the fly to accommodate differences between talkers and phonetic context.

When you are profoundly deaf and 90% of your hearing loss is outside of the speech banana. All you want is an aid that will allow me to hear every consonant and vowel clearly. So I’m not having to get everyone to repeat everything they say.

While life with my bimodal hearing system is a dream come true I still have the odd occasion where I need to get people to repeat themselves.

3 Likes

Totally agree and since this is “dream land” have all hearing aids cost under $1000 yet last as long as glasses.

2 Likes

My glasses seldom last 2 years. My aids at least twice that long

2 Likes

Highly recommend cataract surgery, after that you can buy your readers st the dollar store.

Unless you have astigmatism like I do…

1 Like

Yes I have cataracts but my eye doctor says they are not ripe yet, and I have astigmatism so I will alway need glasses.

1 Like