What should I have changed, if anything?

Have an appt with the VA on 5/23 to receive the newest More1 firmware. Also going to have them lower the volume in my streamer so that it’s not blowing me out of the room every time I start to stream.

When I come into the house and announce that I’m home, my wife will usually yell back “in here”. The problem is I don’t have a clue where in here is! I can stand in a room and hear just great. But, I have no clue what direction it’s coming from. Is there any setting they can adjust that will help with this? TIA.

Wow! Would have thought that some of the professional fitters here could provide some guidance as to what should be checked concerning this directionality problem I’m having. I guess that’s not a good sign for finding a solution.

What should I have changed, if anything?

I would probably remove the comma if anything has to be changed.

No, the comma needs to stay …

3 Likes

I don’t know if your post was just missed or if it was bad timing or if it was just that nobody wanted to tell you what experienced users already know. There is almost certainly nothing that can be done to help.

Natural directionality happens because are brain can detect the tiny bit of difference between the timing in the two ears as well as subtle differences in the sound.

As fast as the processing is it is slow compared to the speed of sound. And since the sound is all coming from the same place, the speaker on the aid, there is less difference then there is naturally.

I think part of it is also the hearing loss itself. I am not an expert but I think the same way we loose speech in noise first the first levels of damage also affect directionality.

The manufacturers keep working on this but it is a significant challenge and my guess would be that it is lower on the priority list then say speech in noise.

Sorry to be the one to say this, but that is our reality. My wife eventually learned to say she was in whatever room she was in. And now I am learning it as her hearing goes.

5 Likes

Directionality is something so many take for granted. Lose it and it’s very noticeable.
Pat explained it well.

I had directionality with hearing aids. Then got CI’s in both ears, lost directionality. It has taken me almost a year to get directionality back with CI’s.

I believe directionality is a trying and learning thing. Outside listening to nature is how I relearned where sounds were coming from. Sometimes asking my wife where a sound came from helps. But what really helped was hearing something then finding it with my eyes. This practice slowly trained my ears to hear directionality.

Good luck

1 Like

Hello Igbuck62,

If I understood well you have problem knowing where the sound is coming from.
It can happen with BTE HA.
It also depends what ear-tip or earmold you have.

In the HA there are algorithms that will look where the speech comes from. Your audiologist can start with that. See if he can slow the speech detection or put omni directional and see what’s fit the best for you.

If you are comfortable switching program you can discuss with your audiologist and try different configuration of the microphone directionality on different programs. This way you could choose which one suits better for you.

It could come from other things but to me it seems the thing to start with.

Hope it helps and answered your question

Samuel
www.otomerge.com
otomerge@outlook.com

My own experience is that directionality can be hit and miss with some hearing aids seeming to handle it better than others. My phonak paradise aids seem to handle it well but there sounds I tried not well at all. And probably every wearer will contradict that. Talk to your audiologist. Also mention to your wife that responding in the kitchen works better than in here. I admit that’s not much of an answer

Thanks everyone. At least now I have some ideas of what to ask about at the appt.

2 Likes

Way back in '71-72 I couldn’t tell where sound was coming from. That was long, long before I got a hearing aid.
In a machine shop I was lost…no clue, and I got teased for it. It was noisy there, and 110 db in the Power House where I also worked.
So they did noise studies. Not because of me…but it helped me.

Point is somehow I had that issue way back. And I think that my hearing aids help me now. Phonak Audeo Paradise P90’s with rechargeable batteries. BUT I don’t know if the programs it selects help me.

There probably aren’t enough professionals regularly reading these boards for you to expect an answer in a few hours, or even a few days.

Realistically, with a hearing loss like yours, you won’t get localization back. You don’t have access to pinna cues and your asymmetry is probably dramatically disruptive to binaural localization cues. However, once your hearing aids are set optimally and you’re not making any more changes, you may get a bit better at it down the road (it may help to actively TRY to localize things to help your brain learn). But localization is fairly plastic; that is, your brain adjusts to minor changes that alter your perception and tries to do its best to bring the new cues in line with your visual perception of actual location. So while things are in flux (say, you are still tweaking the hearing aids) is has to keep trying to readjust to compensate.

3 Likes

I find that the m&rie (mic&receiver in ear) on my Jabras have greatly helped with this.

@Neville
Thanks. Your answer about how the brain copes has helped me understand better.

I’m active on a sleep apnea forum. I find similarities between sleep apnea treatment and hearing loss treatment. With OSA when I make gross changes in how I’m treated, I can throw my treatment all akilter. To the point where it’s not effective. And it takes time when I restore the old treatment to achieve what I used to be able to achieve. It really affects my sleep quality.