What is the benefit of TV streaming?

I’m ready to replace an old, simple HA with something better, and am considering those with a wireless connection to the TV. However, I don’t understand the purpose of the wireless connection. Is it (a) to listen to the TV at a volume level that would be too high for other (non-hearing-impaired) people in the room, or (b) to receive better sound quality, especially speech, than is delivered by the stereo speakers. I already run my TV audio through a very good amplifier and speaker system that delivers much better quality than the built-in TV speakers, but still often have trouble understanding speech. Turning up the volume does not help. Presumably a better HA will improve the processing of sound in the HA, but is there anything additional to be gained by transmitting sound by radio from the TV to the HA rather than acoustically from the stereo speakers to the HA?
<HR width=“80%” noShade>

Get a Phonak hearing aid and and buy the Compilot. Life is changed forever dude. Seriously. Don’t get the iCom or one of those FM transmitters that do that. The iCom sucks. Get the new ComPilot+ TV Bundle. It is all stereo and has some additional features for the new Spice chipset of you obtain one.

I have Resound TV-Streamer with great speech recognition. It sounds “tinny” if you have low frequency loss and Tulip domes even after adjustments.

I have heard good things about ReSound and even a Phonak Rep endorses them privately on the quality. I don’t know if you are hearing in stereo though. This ComPilot is a new awesome experience for me and I love it.

yes, speech is much better and you have your own volume control independent of the TV. before deciding try a Siemens (or rexton) aid with the Tek or miniTek. no silly loops or problems with sound delay.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. In response to djprall, no, I don’t have stereo hearing. Left ear is completely dead, so I’m also considering a Bicros. Lots of things to consider and cost is definitely a factor, so I have to choose the features that will give me the biggest bang for the buck. My biggest concern is speech recognition from the TV directly in front of me or from my wife who could be anywhere, so maybe I need both TV streaming and a Bicros.

Another +1 for the way Resound Alera/Future handles TV streaming. No perceptible lip-synch lag as is heard with some other streamers including the Agil Pro I tried a couple of years ago (EDIT: reportedly fixed in newer editions of the Oticon streamer–see comments below). Resound’s is in stereo. I can’t recommend it for music, though, or even DVDs with their wide dynamic range, and when I say stereo, it’s pretty basic–not a 5.1 Dolby solution. It’s just good for ordinary TV programming IMO.

The advantage of streaming sound is that I can hear the dialogue very clearly without cranking the TV volume to a level my wife finds annoying.

I too didn’t like the lip-synch lag with the Oticon Streamer but I solved it by plugging an RCA audio jack into the TV audio out and then plug into my Streamer which creates perfect in synch with no lag. The best thing about using the Streamer is you don’t lose any dialogue and have volume control right at the Streamer. The battery life comes into play unless you plug into the charger while listening to the TV if you are watching a long program or several movies.

You know, if you are wearing a good hearing aid, streaming may not be all that necessary.

It sounds like you have a decent surround sound system. If you do, consider putting the volume way up on the center speaker. This speaker isolates speech, and you want that set higher than the ambient sounds that most of the other speakers are used for. Then consider adjusting the bass and treble to match your hearing loss. If you have a typical high frequency hearing loss, then more treble and less bass may help.

If you do all that, and get a good hearing aid system that matches your loss, you may not need to stream.

The weakness is still the relevant acoustics of the speaker, mic and room. The streamer removes these variables. It also allows independent setting of your volume vs. your partner.

I use the Resound Unite Streamer. It is awesome.

I have custom molds, so I even get really good bass.

seb,

How old is your Oticon Streamer? And has it had any firmware updates?

I just got my Oticon Streamer two weeks ago and yesterday I got the tv link. I was not able to see any voice lag while watching tv for over an hour.

This setup has made a huge difference for me as I can now understand all the dialog. The quality of the sound even gets better when the home theatre sound system is on at the same time.

The real test is when all my wife’s Irish family decends to my place and watches an Irish movie. :slight_smile:

Now I think I will have the upper hand and have to splain the dialog to them when the sub titles are turned off! :stuck_out_tongue:

Travelin Man,
My Streamer is the 1.2 version, when I last went to my audi I asked if we could update it to 1.4 but she didn’t know how to do it. From what I’ve heard the earlier ones did have a problem with lag times with the tv link, however, my cable solution works very well and my wife, who also has HA ( not Oticon), can plug into the same cable and listen to the same show. I have since found out how to update the Streamer and will have it updated next visit to my audi.

I have no usable hearing in the right ear and use a Phonak BiCros system with Audeo S Smart V aid. I decided not to use the Phonak ComPilot for a couple of reasons. (1) I have a pacemaker and am not supposed to wear a neck loop. (2) Battery life with the BiCros is short, three days or less in normal use and it seemed even shorter when used with a TV streamer. I used a wired system for a while, a set of Sennheiser headphones connected to the headphone outlet on the home theater A/V processor without the hearing aid. I could only hear the left sound channel, but it worked fairly well. I bought a pair of emu pipeLine FM transmitter/receivers to eliminate the wire along with a single earbud that combines both channels of sound electronically. Works well. Near 100% speech comprehension and low latency (no lip sync problems even at a viewing distance of 15 feet). Total cost was about $230. Depending on the type and extent of your hearing loss a system like this might or might not work for you. It makes TV watching a pleasant experience for me. Vic

I use the Phonak Audeo Smart V S with the ComPilot/TV Link and its works Ok for tv watching. I also have a pair of wireless headphones connected to my home theater system (5.1) and they do a better job. One of the things I don’t like about the TV link feature is if I want to use it then the surround sound system has to be in stereo as well as the home theater system can’t provide a stereo signal to the TV link and a 5.1 to the HTS.

To vlcakc: Thank you so much. Sounds like your situation is similar to mine, and I am definitely going to look at the Phonak BiCros system. From Phonak literature I got the impression that the BiCros HA could receive an FM signal, so I don’t quite understand your description of your FM transmitter/receivers with an earbud. Could you clarify this for me?

I use the transmitter/receiver/earbud setup WITHOUT the hearing aid. Some Phonak aids can be setup to receive FM signals, but mine isn’t. Vic

Hi seb,

Keep us posted on your streamer firmware update. It would be a shame not to be able to use something that you paid your hard earned money for. Personally I hate being wired up to any electronic gear and only do so as a last resort.

I have about five additional hours on my streamer/tv setup, and I am really impressed with how this setup has improved my speech recgonition while watching tv.

I have had a few questions about my streamer that my fitter was unable to answer, so I called Oticon customer service twice to get answers. They have been quite helpful and never asked me for a customer account number.

Their number is 800-526-3921

Travelin Man,
It doesn’t bother me being cabled to the tv and with my wife also using HA and needing streaming from tv more than I do it’s easier with one cable and a y splitter than having the Oticon Tv adapter and a Phonak TvLink hooked up. I also bought a Ryobi power adapter for their Tek4 line at Home Depot that comes with an adapter that lets me plug into the Streamer and will provide up to 80 hours of additional battery power so i don’t have to plug the Streamer in when the battery gets low.

I’ve been trying out the Naida S IX UP with the ComPilot for a week now and can’t seem to tear myself away from the TV. I watched three seasons of Breaking Bad in four days! I mean, it’s a great show, but part of my obsession is definitely owing to how much more enjoyable it is to watch TV now. My hearing loss is severe enough that I miss a lot of what’s going on on-screen because I’m so focused on the captions. (Particularly anything written by Aaron Sorkin!) Since hooking up with the ComPilot though, I find I only need to glance at the captions for occasional clarifications.

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but part of the reason - maybe even most of it - has to be simply because using the ComPilot means I don’t have to pick up those sounds from an atmosphere that is probably littered with other household background sounds.