What is different about Widex's new Evoke models: RIC 10, RIC 312 D, and BTE 13 D

After testing all 5 major HA’s, Widex EVOKE “Fusion 2” rechargeable was my first choice, but their website today announces the introduction of a new Evoke style with Z-battery rechargeable called “RIC 312 D”.
Can anyone explain what is new or different about it?
Here is their USA website: Widex Hearing Aids & Devices - Get a Quality Hearing Aid
Thanks

Don’t touch the z-battery rechargeable, way too much hassle. The new devices are basically a refresh of the design, although, they are also Bluetooth enabled so they should be Made For iPhone. Not sure about the RIC 10 though

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply geo-C, I was surprised that they’re keeping the Z-battery but the benefit of z’s size and exchangeability with regular 312 batteries overcomes a shorter life compared to lithium.
As for Bluetooth; Widex Evoke had previously established the made for iPhone feature so the Bluetooth ability seems redundant but I guess it could be used to stream from other bluetooth sources.

But more importantly, have the sound features changed: I have included the spec sheet of the new RIC 312D and the Evoke Fusion 2 and there appears to be differences in their graphs but I do not understand what they mean, do you have any clue?
http://webfiles.widex.com/WebFiles/9%20502%205199%20001%2001.pdf
and
http://webfiles.widex.com/WebFiles/9%20502%204763%20001%2002.pdf
Thanks

I think it is just marketing spin. I would second what @geo_C said about Z-Power. Stay away from it. Lithium ion is the way to go if you want rechargeable. The problem is not only the life of the battery before it needs to be replaced, but also the amount of charge you can get in a recharge. My thoughts are that the underlying fundamental problem is they try to make them fit into the 312 form factor and it is simply not big enough for the silver-zinc technology to give it enough capacity.

I see you are in Canada, and noticed when I was in at Costco on Friday they had what looked like a “Sale” sign for Rexton rechargeables for about $2400 a pair. I believe these are essentially the same aids as the KS8’s but are lithium ion rechargeable.

1 Like

To Sierra and geo_C
Sorry guys, I did not articulate properly in my first post, I did purchase the Widex Evoke 2 and despite your reservations re battery life, I absolutely love these HA’s.
I tested Otticon, Signia, Phonak, and Widex for weeks at a time and because the Widex sound profile was so far superior, they were my first choice.
My usage has been 16 hours/day since 5 and 1/2 months with the Z-battery and coincidentally yesterday I noticed the charge getting glitchy.
So I’ll take a half year battery change-out any time to have these HA’s.
My question concerning the new Widex RIC 312D was initiated because I was interested to know what improvements there were over my Widex Evoke Fusion 2 that’s why I included the Spec sheet in my previous thread post. I cannot make heads or tails with the graphs…

and to Sierra Re: Costco Rexton’s, I live in Quebec and our Provincial govt. passed a law whereby Costco nor any other retailer other than a certified Audiologist is allowed to prescribe and sell HA’s (for better or worse) so I could never purchase HA’s from Costco. C’est la vie! LOL

I’d need to see a comparison between your aid and the 312D to know for sure. Do you know if your aid has a telecoil–it might be the addition of a telecoil. The Z-Power batteries HAD a horrible reputation. If they’re still being used, it makes sense that they’ve worked out some of the glitches. Depending one’s use case, I can see advantages and disadvantages for all battery approaches.

1 Like

Thanks MDB,
They both include Telecoil, here are the spec sheets of the new RIC 312D and the Evoke Fusion 2, I do not understand what they mean, I see differences in the graphs but they are not meaningful to me?
http://webfiles.widex.com/WebFiles/9%20502%205199%20001%2001.pdf
and
http://webfiles.widex.com/WebFiles/9%20502%204763%20001%2002.pdf

I have no idea. I wasn’t able to see any difference between them. I think it’s fair to say that any differences are “subtle.” If you’re really curious, you could reach out to Widex and ask them. Really odd to have a new model without touting what’s “new and improved.”

1 Like

The only difference I could find was compatibility with TV Play.
Different cases.
Nothing else I could see.

3 Likes

Too bad about Quebec not allowing Costco to dispense hearing aids. I would have thought they would have gotten around it by employing audiologists. There are some here in Alberta, but the norm is a Hearing Aid Practitioner, which requires a technical school degree.

The hearing aid business seems complicated in Quebec. I found this article which claims that audiologists are not allowed to sell them, only fit them. Costco must have found the model to be too complicated for them to get engaged in, or something…

1 Like

Compatibility with TV Play seems to be the only difference.

1 Like

New cases making them seem more modern and new improved mics from what I’ve learned. Adopted mics from the Signia line. Z Power is not that different from before. I would not go with that rechargeable option.

1 Like

Thanks skyemac11, yes the case looks new and I’m curious why you think the mics are “Adopted from the Signia line”?
Also the the z-power rechargeable gripe everyone has is because Z batteries tout they get 1 year when in reality its approximately 5-6 months, if they had any brains they’d change they’re marketing to reflect that and then everyone would be happy.

I wasn’t aware of Signia mics being used by Widex, but it is quite possible. In March 2019 Sivantos and Widex merged. Sivantos is the former Siemens hearing aid company which sold aids under the names of Signia and Rexton.

2 Likes

Merger info I got from my provider and Widex fitter/dispenser.

1 Like

Hello @NeilT, I was just going to start a thread with almost same subject…luckily I searched and found your post!

I’m now trialling a pair of Evoke RIC 312 D, after trials of Phonak Marvel M90 and Oticon OPN 1. Before seeing @geo_C post (thanks for it!) I was fearing of having been given an old model…
One hour ago I sent a request for info to Widex on this matter: will follow up here if I receive any answer.

FWIW, ref my trial, I find the Widex sound and speech intellegibility superior to the other HAs, which are still a good improvement over my old Phonak Q90.
As far as it goes to connectivity, it’s on par to the others with some glitches and restrictions: most annoyingly I have to keep my phone at hand for others be able to hear me. I know it’s a matter of Bluetooth implementation and protocol, which is still far from maturity and complete acceptance.

I’ve been asked a steep 6K EUR for the HAs, fitting, custom domes, TV Play, follow up visits, three years warranty. This is a good shop and audiologist so I will negotiate more and get more quotes before moving to other shop.

Hey Vogon,
I’m not sure what your question is but just a followup, I did trial the new Evokes which are now called ERB2D and they are Widex wonderful :blush:
There is an improvement in feedback, ie: I now ride my bicycle without any feedback (compared to the Evoke Fusion 2 which would whistle while bicycle riding)
If you’re a fan of the Widex sound I highly recommend the ERB2D’s.
As far as streaming goes, I can’t help you, I prefer to talk on my iPhone as billions of apple customers do: through the iPhone and I don’t care for TV streaming since my hearing has improved well enough with the ERB2D’s to hear pretty much all TV conversation.
Re: price, sorry! can’t help, I paid the Canadian market price along with guarantees and followup, just do your homework.
Good luck.

So what exactly will be the difference between the upcoming new Widex hearing aid called “Moment” and current aid called ERB2D? From what I can gather ERB2D only uses the 312 rechargeable battery where the Moment HA will switch to lithium batteries. Big improvement there but there has to be more changes than that between the two hearing aids.

Hey hold4triple,
No clue about the Moment, u can google it and watch 2 x 10 second videos.
I luv my new ERB2D’s and I got them in Z-Power rechargeables, frankly I luv Z-power cause u can change out to 312’s in case u forget to charge, its happened to me a couple of times, just be prepared to buy new rechargeable Z batteries twice/year (big deal!)
I’ve tried all the big name brands and all pretty well stay close to their distinctive sound even through their iterations, if you like a sound in one brand stay with them, don’t eat yourself up and,
good luck :blush:

Hi @NeilT,
no questions, just wanted to contribute to the thread and give back to the community :slight_smile:
Me too I’m trialling the ERBD2 RIC312D and, while this is the first time I use Widex HAs (coming from Oticon and then Phonak), I’ve been able to adjust almost immediately and find the sound quality great.