What is adaptive gain in Roger X receiver?

The Roger Pen and Roger X receiver has what’s called adaptive gain, of up to 20dB I think. What does this mean?

I have a severe-profound loss and was wondering if the hearing aids limit this gain and the audio received to prescription levels so that you don’t further damage your hearing?

I’m using this with Oticon hearing aids and streamer.

I wonder if it’s worth @'ing efigalaxie? Or PM’ing him. He seems to be pretty experienced with Roger stuff.

03 receivers have a gain of 10db. 02 receivers have the 10db and you can change it to 18db of gain or 2db of gain, basically 8db either way.

It just boosts the gain of the streamed signal a bit if background noise goes up. But it’s not going to hike your max output.

1 Like

Hello garyg! I think too about Roger for my Oticon hearing aids plus Streamer Pro. But I know that Roger X receiver has a lack of 4 dB when use with Streamer Pro. Do you notice it? And how about sound quality from Roger? I hope sound is not muffled as from Naida?

I have the Roger X 03 receiver, and it sounds sufficiently loud (my FM loudness setting was in the middle in the genie software). Can you clarify what you mean by lack of 4 dB?

I think the sound quality is different from my Oticon Alta Pro aids, but speech is very clear, not muffled. This difference in sound quality is probably due to manufacturer differences and/or FM signal as sound is being processed by a Phonak microphone.

@garyg Have a look at the link. It says that Oticon HAs need added 4db of gain.

https://www.deafequipment.co.uk/product/14092076/3PROGERX2P1/Phonak-Roger-X-receiver--type-02--for-Oticon-hearing-aids--with--4dB-gain-

1 Like

It’s interesting that they say “In our experience we have found that the output level of the Type 03 receivers is insufficient for use with Oticon hearing aids.”

I have a type 03 receiver attached to my streamer pro and it seems to be working. I wonder if there would be any difference if I used a type 02 receiver. What are you using?