What is a reasonable trial period and return policy?

For instance, is a 45-day trial period, and one return with no charge, if you order another pair, reasonable? I have to find out what happens if I need to try a third pair.

I’ve read about some people trying a number of pairs before getting it right. Perhaps, that isn’t the norm though. I just know that I am sensitive in general, and to sound in particular. Thank you.

45 days is minimum – most audis will go 60 no problem if they are in it for the long haul. I have worn aids for 6 years and got 60 days trial on my first pair then (sonic Ions). I am trialing my second pair now (Unitron Moxi 20), after a two month initial trial of Oticon Acto Pros and am so glad as the moxi20 are light years ahead of the Octicon Acto Pros for almost the same price. Take your time and do not rush - this is an expensive decision – you will know when you find ones that are right for you…
Good luck

Oh… some places want restock fee – look around as there are plenty that will refund 100% (minus ~ $150 fitting fee which is fair).

Unless the manufacturer is charging a restocking fee than this is another fee to boost the Audi’s price they are charging for the trial. I too think a reasonable fitting fee is fair but the big question is what is reasonable?

I too think a reasonable fitting fee is fair but the big question is what is reasonable?

Good point.

In a capitalist society we can all charge what we want. However ‘The Market’ will punish us if we overcharge.

Ask the price for the trial/fitting/aid and if it seems unfair TO YOU then move right along.

However for some people the fee might be fine. They might have more money, or they might have heard good things about the dispenser, or they might live very close by or they might appreciate the car parking bays right next to the practice front door.

This all makes the concept of a ‘fair’ price very flexible. There is no formal definition of a ‘fair’ price.

When it comes to fees retained for hearing aid trial periods where no hearing aid was purchased…I want to point out that you are obtaining services from a professional and that professional should not expect to be doing those services for free. You would not expect a physician to see you 2-5 times for 15-60 minutes each without charging you some office visit charge, an audiologist or dispenser should really be no different.

While I believe some offices charge excessive fees for the trial period when nothing was purchased, it’s absolutely fair and should be expected for the patient to at least to pay for the time the professional spent with them.

A good example is that Kentucky states I am entitled to keep up to 10% of the cost of the device if someone chooses to not keep them after the trial period. I feel that amount is excessive when it means I could keep $560 if someone returns a high-end pair of hearing aids. Our office determined that $100/ear was acceptable, and honestly is probably less than the cost of the time I usually spend with my patients but I have so few returns that it really is a moot point in most instances.

I notionally charge for returns … but I don’t recollect ever having actually done it in 8 years of trading.

If an aid is unsuitable then that is MY fault not the client’s fault.

Also, as with the prior poster, I have very, very few returns. Maybe one a year, maximum.

I am however quite strict about who I accept as clients. For example, I won’t work with ‘hearing aid tourists’ or with clients who are abusive or who try to bully me.

Although this is kind of a “poTAtoe” PoTAHtoe" deal. Some call it a restocking fee, some call it a fitting fee - it usually is covering their time and services either way. The norm in my area is $250.

dr.amy

Don’t forget the professional also has the time & costs to ship the aids back to the manufacturer.