What hearing loss means to me

I have a CI and it has been fantastic. Yes it still has limitations, but one of the pluses is that I realise how wonderful it is to hear at least 80% again. When we had normal hearing we just took it for granted.

3 Likes

You mentioned comedy, did you mean comedy on television or listening in general?
I don’t know what kind of hearing aid you have, but if there is an app, some apps have the option of using an equalizer. Through it, try to sharpen the sound to make speech better understood.

When it comes to tv, some brands offer the same use of eqilazers when hearing aids are connected to an intermediary like “tv play, tv connector or the like.”

My dad often used to mention something “Does your hearing aid work” in anger when I often didn’t understand what he was saying. It totally bothers me when others have no understanding for my hearing condition.
It should be clear to them that the hearing aid does not restore hearing, it helps to amplify the sound and help to understand speech but hearing aids cannot be perfect because they can be as perfect as our ear allows. Some hairs have been destroyed in the cochlea, and those hairs are like a piano key, now imagine that some keys are missing, but you have to deal with the remaining keys, hearing aids do just that, To adjust the remaining hearing, to better understand and hear.

6 Likes

Most of all TV, but also have in general. And I don’t use or like captions. I feel if I need captions then will just not watch TV and read a book.

1 Like

Missing piano keys :musical_keyboard: is the best analogy I have ever heard (or seen.) LOL

5 Likes

I must admit CV I was never a great fan of closed captioning until I used Netflix via Phonak’s TV Connector 2, if I have misheard something then I have the immediate reassurance of glancing at the text to double check and Netflix captioning is perfectly in sync, this has opened a whole new world of films and documentaries to me again… Cheers Kev.

4 Likes

This is exactly my sentiment. Or people speak when facing away from you. You ask politely to only speak when facing myself and they remember it only once, returning to their old habits immediately. I ask folks to speak up and they sort of act insulted. Women’s higher pitched voices are difficult for me. Yet…life goes on.

2 Likes

I think I will try that. I get tired of straining to hear my name call, even with hearing aids

1 Like

After talking to other hearing impaired friends it seem that women seem to almost make hearing a chore intentional. the two prime examples is there go in the other room and start talking, the second is while traveling they will turn and talk to the window and expect you to understand

6 Likes

LOL ain’t that ever the truth Nolan3dogs :joy: :sweat_smile: :rofl: I suppose the one thing that can infuriate me when I have misheard someone or thought they said something else and I ask them to repeat or rephrase and they say “It doesn’t matter”, tis like a red rag to a bull, but over the years I have learned to be more excepting of some folks ignorance…Cheers Kev.

2 Likes

Nice to see some humor in here. I have never heard of anyone talking to the window. As a matter of fact I am laughing as I type this just thinking about that comment. At least she’s not driving while looking out the window.

I’m training my puppy at the moment, and she responds to treats when she does something right. Maybe if we carried treats (like chocolate) and handed them out when people turned to us to speak to us, the behaviour would stick!

3 Likes

Seems like appropriate answer would be ‘yes, but even they cannot help with your not working brain’.

We don’t have to be polite to people who are hitting us below the belt intentionally :slight_smile:

How it should if they never heard the explanation?
It’s not that they teach us in school about how exactly hearing loss works and how HAs work and what it means. We’re only surrounded with elderly who have age related loss and it’s expected that you yell and roll you eyes, and it goes in generations.
Also, people with loss will deny it to avoid stigma.
So no one is talking, then how anyone could learn how it really is?

Hell, it took me whole last year for digging around here and pondering to really understand how my loss works / doesn’t work, what I can do to help it, and that if I have to fight for comprehension, I will. Where it matters. Or I’ll return equal sourness if I’m hit by one.

Fun fact, after my decision to be more assertive about my loss, I have zero issues with people around.
I mean, they were friendly before, but I’d become frustrated when I wouldn’t understand even after they’d repeat. Now I use all help I can, they’ll repeat, we’ll move away, I’ll pull up my mic, I’ll fiddle with settings if I think it might help, I’ll write on the paper or ask they write some term I can’t understand.
So far, works perfectly.

But yeah, I don’t have many friends, since I can’t consider someone a friend if they don’t work with me but against me, that was before my loss, now it’s just emphasised.

Hell, if I’m paying 4000 eur on top of the insurance cost and with a discount in order to be able to follow the conversations, they definitely can speak slower, turn towards me and what not or normal things I ask them to.

If they want to communicate with me.

If I’d encounter someone unwilling to talk with me and I need them, they don’t need me, eg some government thing or similar, I’d bring a translator. And leave reviews and write complaints probably :stuck_out_tongue:

But, I must say that I’ve never been in such situation.
I did get few times ironically ‘are you deaf’, and I’d pull out my aid and said ‘yes, and what’s your excuse’, and they’d be ashamed and extra polite after that.

If I don’t have good cochlea, I still have good teeth I can show :rofl:

I’d probably refine piano key theory in terms of - keys are here but strings are not, or are bundled together.
I mean - yes, I look ok, I have ears, but they don’t work as you’d expect.

It just occurred to me with reading this, that I definitely should immediately say on the reception that I’m HoH and that they please come to me, and not yell from the open room. Could work pretty well :smiley:

Clicker training! :rofl: Awesome!

My experience, actually here on the forum I got the enlightenment is that when someone WANTS to understand what you’re saying, they will find a way. Others will start arguing, rolling eyes, seeing you as stupid, and what not.
It really boils down to that, not to our hearing loss. But since we see it as a flaw, it hurts us in real life when they hit it. I mean, it is a flaw, but it doesn’t mean that WE’re a flaw :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Blacky, Funny enough here in the Scottish Highlands they teach BSL (British Sign Language) to all of Primary 1 and pre-school or kindergarden, I have a lovely grandson called Cailean who visits twice a week for has Gran to teach him rudimentary counting and spelling, painting that type of thing, it gives his mother a break as he invairably only pauses for breath, he can talk :rofl: he is only 4 years old and he is signing to me what he has leaned at pre-school, he is very bright and aware I am deaf so perhaps he has that insentive and I teach him new signs when I see him and even at that young age he has all the makings of one excellent signer… I think it is brilliant that these schools have added this to their curriculum. Cheers Kev.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! It definitely helps with the inclusion of diversity.

Marko and I have common roots, so I know the Croatian system and general vibe, so I admit, I mostly referred from that perspective. Only thing changed since I’ve left are two horrible earthquakes in last year that happened which will probably push the folks back for another 10+ years. That won’t help for being more inclusive, when people are focusing on sheer survival. :frowning:

I remember, in Croatia, when you’d notice someone signing in the public transport, you’d also notice a bit of a space between them and others, like, others retreat, social distance before corona.
Maybe it has with repulsiveness or fear when they hear also vocalizations those folks use (I have a feeling that in Croatia, sign language is mostly used by people who are deaf and mute / not speaking), because they do sound weird / scary since yeah, they don’t speak with anything resembling good pronunciation.
But also, I can’t say when I last saw those folks, like, after around 2000 I can’t recall many… Like they stop existing, but more probably, they just keep quiet when in public and are gathering only in own groups.
Hell, during my whole school period I never ever knew about anyone with hearing aids, and not even heard about anyone having them. When I lost my hearing, I was the first one in my circle. Then someone’s grandma got one but hated it and didn’t wear it and was lazy to go to adjustments.

After I got mine, I also can’t say that I’ve seen any in Croatia in those few years I’ve still been there after my loss.
Here in Berlin, the guy that worked for moving company had one, and I’ve seen a few, and I don’t get out much. Like, once i na week/two :rofl:

@nolan3dogs My husband of 35 years still talks to my back. He can’t comprehend what’s wrong!! The only joy now is he has high frequency loss, sooo payback can be fun at times.

4 Likes

Thank you Blacky, I had much or a similar upbringing in my schooling days, I was brought up in the mean streets of Airdrie (Scotland) an unemployment black spot where gang warfare was the order of the day and the area I lived to all intensive purposes was a police no go area, yeah they came in team handed with vans and dogs, twas basically a survival of the fittest, funny enough it had a kindred spirit about it, with a very much “us and them” attitude, the “them” were the police whom treated us residents with a vicious brutality if they got a hold of you for any lawbreaking or misdemeanour and sometimes actually nothing at all, then you were getting a severe kicking…In later years tis strange that I ended up working for the Criminal Justice System, but I digress… Schooling in those days was little to do with inclusion and the teachers were almost as brutal as the police! I had dyslexia, so I was treated like a complete idiot or worse… Perhaps an unusual fact about sign language is; It’s 5 times quicker than you can speak and up to 7 times quicker, depending on who’s signing. Cheers Kev

I’m right there with you. People with ‘normal’ hearing don’t have a clue what we go through each and every day. People seem to have lost the ability to enunciate words and mumble through a conversation. My wife who works with the older population in health care, doesn’t’ get it either. She talks at the same level whether three feet or in another room. I told my wife also that I read that those of us with hearing loss take longer for our brain to process words. It is a struggle and you are not alone. I really wish someone would do the research and find a cure for hearing loss and tinnitus. Both of them suck. Good luck. We just do the best we can I guess.

Wow! I thought my wife was the only one that said that. I’m pretty laid back most of the time but that’s one thing that gets under my skin. It’s bad enough to horrid little devices and to be reminded constantly sucks. Sometimes, for instant at church my wife tries to whisper something in my ear and Iv’e told her repeatedly I can’t hear a whisper. People just don’t get hearing loss.

This got a chuckle out of me. You are for the most part describing hearing loss. We understand.
Granted, some people do mumble.

Welcome to the forum.

3 Likes