What feature for the future?

Better sound quality for music. // To listen music I do not want to take out my devices
Equalizer posibility // Filter for screaming children or bass tones etc.
Better possibilitys to stream music from bluetooth devices. // Connecting by f.i. mobile phone in an easy way
Music recognition so I do not have to go in menu’s for changing the mode.
Longer lasting batteries.
Natural sound localization // If I turn my head I want to hear what comes from that specific direction (Without wanting to make any advertising) as is f.i in the not anymore available Resound Lex800.
No more wind noice // Microphone in the earshell I do not want to hear what happens in my back direction but in front of me or where I am looking to (Lex800 style)
In the earcanal device // cosmetics

1 Like

How about a built in music player? The aid can use bluetooth to phone app to select music soundtracks. To store music soundtracks, how about a micro sd slot next to the battery?

1 Like

I hear you on the screaming children. I was at a funeral yesterday and was having a hard time hearing, so I turned up the volume. About 2 minutes later a child directly behind me started screaming, it was like knives to the brain!

1 Like

Ha, and they know where the acoustic sweet spot
Is after a few screams. Comfort setting and mute!

Sometimes hearing aids work best when they’re turned off :smiling_imp:

1 Like

No kidding! Is that a pun?

That is true when the wife is nagging, or she is watching something on TV I can’t stand

I agree. My most recent fitting is with closed sleeves. They work almost like ear plugs. Our coffee grinder is loud without HA’s, and painfully loud with HA’s turned on. I either take them out or turn them off to grind coffee. I do the same when my wife is using a food processor, mixer, or chopper in the kitchen.

I’d like to see the industry train audiologists to stop that squeaky voice I hear out of my ha. It makes cognition impossible. Sounds like someone sucking on a helium balloon and talking to me!

Some of these have already been mentioned so in effect, I’m agreeing with them.
Anyhow, here’s mine…

Top priority - I’d like to see advances in medical technology and research that provides a cure for deafness. For some of us, this would probably be either a miracle or otherwise impossible. (Depending on the cause of their deafness.)

Failing that - I’d like to see hearing aid technology advance so that I (and others) would be able to wear ITE hearing aids for profound deafness without feedback.
It would also be nice that hearing aids would have both WiFi and BlueTooth built in. BT and WiFi capability would allow for infinite possibilities for IoT (Internet of Things), such as connecting to our Smart Home Devices, play music from any source, connect to almost any telephone, use apps on Smartphones such as Google Maps for GPS navigation, speaking clock, alarms and much, much more.
I would also like to see it possible for us to program our aids using an app on our phones/tablets to save us repeated (and futile!) trips to an audiologist. (Who are mostly useless anyway!)

Hey! I don’t want much! :grin:

1. The ability to teach the HA that a specific voice is significant. similar to signia own-voice processing, but for other voices while giving them priority.
  2. Control the HA with voice commands
  3. Ability to teach the HA what noise is in your natural environment
  4. Auto adjusting mold - some kind of expandable material for a perfect fit in the canal
1 Like

My hearing issue is more cognition than it is hearing. I’ve tried several things but cognition is not good for me. I have Oticon 3’s with a UniClip. My cell phone is a lot clearer with the UC tied to it. The rest of the time I get a high pitched voice that sounds like I’m in an empty room, making sound bounce back to me and creating poor cognition. Any ideas? So far I’ve taken all the tests available, to no avail.

My hearing aids perform well for me.

Calls - I use a Phonak EasyCall.
Music - I listen wirelessly via my Roger System.
TV - I also listen wirelessly via my Roger.
Speech in Noise - perform extremely well even in high levels of noise.
Speech in Wind - also performs very well.

I don’t find anything too loud. I never have to touch my volume control.

2 Likes
  • I would like to record and replay by hearing aids later what I hear. Recording on the stage where I am and tuning later by the audi.
  • Much more possibilities for users in phone apps.
  • iphone independent bluetooth transmission…
  • works EVERY phone, (landline and mobile) theatre, church, school by a common interface. NOT just a phonak style business-connection.
  • Works 1 months the battery by full gain and 24hour BT transmission.
  • Streamng gadgets works 1 month too.
  • usb dongle direct to aids no double transmission…

I like that one!

I also like number 5 on noise-cancelling.

What I would like to add to the list is:

• Better arrangment of multiple microphones to get better resolution in space an directivity
  • Live “caption” (I am not sure about the correct term) of the main talker on my mobile phones screen. Potentially even two side by side if statements are coming from different directions…
  • “marriage” with ear pods and or headphones with better sound quality. One does not always need to wear “invisible” HA’s

That’s exaclty how I feel and it is the reason why I will try rather closed fitting soon.
But it brings me to a feature I would REALLY like ot see in HA’s (and it seems it would not even be overly complex to do)

• Recognize overly loud noise (at a level preventing any kind of speech recognition anyway) and immediatly switch over to noise cancellation.

To a certain extent, this could be done by strong compression, but I guess truely switching over would be more effective and may be more simple to tune. At the risk of missing out on something every once in a while, but then one would be free to turn the feature off or tune it differently.

Actually, Hoerluchs ICP offers that functionality to a certain extent (it is an approved ear protection device with integrated HA). But this one primarly opperates to block noise and has a built in feature with hearing aid, where I would like to have it the other way around. Almost the same thing, but likely with different possiblitis for fitting und different tuning.

Touch sensitive controls. I can find and press the buttons on my KS9s, but they are tiny. It would be nice to just touch the aid to answer a call, or long touch to ignore. Swipes to handle volume, etc. I have a couple of Bluetooth headsets with touch controls and they are nice. I think touch controls would also make HAs have less moving parts and have a better look. Perhaps even smaller as well.

ITE aids for profound hearing loss isn’t going to happen for the following reasons:

1. smaller battery. ITE shell aren’t large enough to accept one 675 battery. ITE with a gain of 80 dB will need a 13 size battery and might last a week.
  2. The microphone and receiver are too close and will cause feedback issues. How about a soundproof barrier between the microphone and receiver?

Might even waterproof 'em a little more–fewer potential points of entry.

Waterproofing! I don’t swim much anymore. It seems unsafe in a beach/ocean environment. In a pool, I can’t respond to people around me. I had to give up water aerobics–can’t hear music or the instructor.

I’m a sailor and always worry about my HA getting wet. Would like to do more kayaking but wouldn’t risk my HA.

Can imagine all sorts of technical challenges – not just waterproofing but also protection from salt and chlorine.