What does it all mean?

Please look at my signature and explain what it means…

I understand that 0-10 is best and acceptable to 20? I have some loss in lower freq but a ski slope down to 4k which would be considered a “moderate?” loss in the higher freq.
Also I have all these extra values: SRT, AC, WRS, HL, LIST, TYMP, REFLEX,and AI%. I was able to determine that SRT=Speech Receptive Threshold; AC= Air Conduction; WRS=Word Recognition Score & TYMP= Tympanometry. What do the others ( HL, LIST, REFLEX and AI%) mean, and does it matter when obtaining hearing aids??

ALSO: If a hearing aid says max gain of 50db would that mean that my 70 at 4k would be corrected to 20??

Let me know what you think and please ask any questions to clarify.

Thanx,

I’ll let the experts give you a detailed explanation of your results but what goes through my mind every time I see a thread like this is why didn’t you ask the audiologist at the time of the exam? An open and honest relationship with your audiologist is essential and the patient should never hesitate to ask something he doesn’t understand. It’s also a good way to guage whether you will be happy with the audiologist. He should be happy to answer all of your questions.

Odd, what goes through my mind would be: Why did the Audiologist not sit down with me and explain the audiogram and why he was suggesting the $3600 hearing aids. You are correct in that we as patients/customers should ask more questions, but I have asked and found the answers lacking.

Like you said it’s more then likely a two way street and please don’t think I am criticizing you because I’m not. What aids did he recommend for your loss… If you find the answers lacking find someone else. A good audiologist should explain your test results in detail and explain why he recommends the particular aids.

I’ve had one out of about a dozen hearing pros actually explain what anything on my audiogram meant, and not in any kind of detail. I had to come here or do other research and figure it out myself. Many professionals seem exasperated when I ask questions that are time-consuming to answer, or when I ask a pointed question such as “maybe I’m getting the occlusion effect because these vents are so small.”

I’m not knocking any of the hearing pros on this forum, I’m just telling you what it’s like as a consumer.

The recommended HA is PHONAK AUDEO SMART V. The ones I lost were purchased in 2001 and were Danasound 163.

Yes you notice how many of the pros have actually answered my original post and explained any of the those “EXTRA” entries of my audiogram. Answer: 0

Hello there. Considering your OP was just 2 days ago, some patience would be nice :cool:

Clinical hearing loss begins at 25 dB or 30 dB (depending on your reference) and normal hearing is defined as any value less than that (-5, 10, 15). I’m not sure what was meant by HL - usually means average hearing loss or puretone average (PTA), but yours might mean something different because i don’t come up with the same calculation. LIST is just the standardized list that they used to determine your WRS. REFLEX is a measurement of the function of your ear in response to high intensity stimuli (helps confirm a loss that is sensorineural). AI refers to audibility index and basically measures how much of the speech signal you are catching.

dr. amy

Thanx for the info. Could you answer the other part of my post: If a hearing aid says max gain of 50db would that mean that my 70 at 4k would be corrected to 20??

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1008&bih=488&q=hearing+aid+gain+definition&aq=1&aqi=g2g-v8&aql=&oq="hearing+aid"+gain

There.
Above are 422,000 posts related directly or indirectly to your ‘unaswered-question’.

Did you actually READ my question???

Yes, however I did not have the answer.
So, I referred you to Google, which is what I typically do when I have a question about something.

I’m not a hearing professional (an accounting controller, actually) but I’ll give my 2 cents.

SRT= Speech Recognition Threshold - Lowest dB level at which you can understand speech (get 50% of the words correct)
HL = Hearing Level (90% WRS at 80HL means you got 90% of the words correct at 80dB)
REFLEX = acoustic reflexes - whether your ear muscles contracted when stimulated, for lack of better words. I don’t know much about this (obviously) or how it is measured. My audiogram just said reflexes absent.

I have no idea what LIST and AI% are. As I said, I’m no hearing aid professional. Hopefully, someone can correct if I am way off base on anything.

The lack of responses you are getting could be due to your rudeness. I’m rarely swayed by bad attitudes so…you can search the threads on this forum for your answer. Try “gain correction”.

It’s been discussed in GREAT detail on other threads and is not nearly as simple an answer as it sounds.

dr. amy

I appreciate your honesty. I had also “googled” for an answer but which of the 422,000 holds the answer? But perhaps someone here can help me with the answer. I assume that a loss of 70db really means the tone must be amplified by 70db to bring it to a “0” value??? Is that correct? Or would you amplify by 50db to bring to the lower range of 20db? That was why I posed the question of an HA having a max of 50 db

What you are saying makes perfect sense to me, however I am not sure if that is how they measure just how powerful aids must be to overcome people’s deafness.

It stands to reason what you are saying is true!

Not exactly, but other threads discuss this issue in great detail.

dr. amy

Well, I am glad I didn’t make some dogmatic statement like “yes, absolutely, that is what it means!”

I’ve learned over the years that I can be corrected!:o

I’m not an expert but going by my own experience and what I’ve heard along the way my guess is that a 70DB loss would be corrected quite well by a 30-40 DB gain. You might think anything more would sound too loud.

Thanx for the input. Personal experience is always a plus. I asked the question because one of the HA I am looking at states 50 DB max gain. I have searched this and other forums but I don’t find an answer. There are several posts indicating that 50db is for mild/moderate… other say that 50 db is too much too little etc. I was just curious if this HA would be sufficient for me and the rational behind gain versus loss.

I realize the answer is most likely on this forum somewhere, but having looked and not finding the answer I am asking again.
Hence my question:

I assume that a loss of 70db really means the tone must be amplified by 70db to bring it to a “0” value??? Is that correct? Or would you amplify by 50db to bring to the lower range of 20db?