What do you make of this audiogram?

Hey, how are you? I had posted this at the end of a thread, but I thought I’d post it in a new thread to get opinions. I value the input of everyone here as you seem to be a pretty experienced and knowledgeable group!

Ok, I know you’ve all been waiting :stuck_out_tongue:

I went to see a new audiologist today. He did a test and gave me some quotes. He did say right off that he can get me any hearing aid, but that he does prefer one model. He also took the time to answer my questions and explained a lot about how the hearing test works, the results, and what his opinion was of what would help me with a hearing aid and why.

He had sold some Triano S hearing aids in the past but said he never had happy customers with them and then stopped selling them.

He recommends Sonic, and gave me prices and information on the Velocity 24, 12 and 6. He didn’t think I would be as happy with the 6, but it costs around what America Hears does. (I did not mention America Hears to him, just my observation.) He also thought that the 24 was great and had a lot of automatic features, but that the 12 would probably be the best fit for me as far as cost vs useful features goes. His recommendation is not for a BTE for me, but an half-shell. With my hearing loss he said an open fit would not work well.

The results are below and if you have any input, I’d be happy to hear it!

Frequency : left, right

0250: 10,40
0500: 10,40
0750: 10,50
1000: 10,55
1500: 10,65
2000: 15,75
3000: 20,100
4000: 20,120
6000: 20,n/a
8000: 25,120

There was no hearing at 6000 Hz in my right ear and he said it was dead in this range. The 4000 & 6000 Hz results were at the very bottom of the graph. At 6000 I only heard a “whoosh” which he said indicated adjacent areas in the ear were picking it up.

Speech Audiometry

SRT/SAT: rt = 50 dB, lt = 10 db
Discrim: rt = 80% @ 75 dB, lt = 100% @ 60 dB
MCL: rt = 75 dB, lt = 60 dB
UCL: rt = 100 dB, lt = 95 dB

Acoustic Reflexes (can’t read the writing, I believe the following is what was recorded)

500 Hz: lt = 95, rt = 10
1000 Hz: lt = 95, rt = A
2000 Hz: lt = 95, rt = A

He said that my audiogram posed a significant problem for fitting. He said a telecoil and bluetooth wouldn’t benefit me because I can’t use my rt ear for speech. His suggestion was that we ignore all sounds above 3000 Hz on the rt ear because there’s no hearing in that range. He wants to improve everything up to 3000 Hz to give me a sense of balance and as much as I can hear. He also talked about various programming modes he could set up to help with certain situations of background noise.

He offers a 30-day trial. You have to pay up-front, and you are refunded the price less $100 for handling and the cost of the earmold ($50). He also said if I did purchase from him he would want me to come in for regular assessments. I’m assuming he would download the data from the hearing aid.

Anyone have experience with the Sonic Velocity (in 24 or 12 model numbers)? The audi said that these models offer a very “natural” hearing experience, but of course, cautioned me about what to expect from a HA given my hearing loss.

Thanks!

What about Phonk Naida? It may give you some speech recognition in your right ear…

I don’t pretend to be an expert, but it seems to me you should be be able to get some speech recognition from that right ear.

The audiologist did mention Phonak, but he said they are generally very expensive and he recommended the Velocity for me. I’ll certainly check out that model, however. Thanks for the tip!

Speech Audiometry

SRT/SAT: rt = 50 dB, lt = 10 db
Discrim: rt = 80% @ 75 dB, lt = 100% @ 60 dB
MCL: rt = 75 dB, lt = 60 dB
UCL: rt = 100 dB, lt = 95 dB

Acoustic Reflexes (can’t read the writing, I believe the following is what was recorded)

500 Hz: lt = 95, rt = 10
1000 Hz: lt = 95, rt = A
2000 Hz: lt = 95, rt = A

What does all this mean? :confused:

BTW, I love my old Sonic CICs (Natura 3). Sounds so very, very natural to me, although my hearing loss is quite different from yours.

I find it easier if I can actually “see” something, so I did a quick scan to post.

With the hearing you have in your left ear (normal), you should benefit and be able to understand some speech on the right side with a good aid.

I don’t have experience with the aids you mentioned but a good digital, high power BTE should give you useable hearing up to 2500Hz and that will get most men’s voices anyway.

Don’t despair - my loss is much worse than yours and I get by pretty well. The $50 non-refundable earmold is understandable but you might be able to negotiate the $100 fee if that’s a hang up for you.

I’d give a power BTE a shot at that right ear - you might be pleasantly surprised.

For all practical purposes, everything above 2k is in a cochlear dead region (not very useful to chase thresholds in that region. I suppose that you could fit a custom aid but I would steer you towards a BTE (especially given that you do not need to use the phone on your right.

Sonic Makes a good aid. Based on our current pricing structure, Phonak is offering more technology for the money though.