What captioning system do you all use?

I’m looking to see what people prefer for captioning. There are applications like Ava, Google Live Transcribe and Rogervoice, but I wanted to see what works best for your and why.

1 Like

I personally don’t use are like captions at all.

Is there a reason why you don’t use captions?

I have always felt if I am going to read captions then why not just read a good book. I don’t like trying to read and watch a video at the same time, I prefer one or the other.

1 Like

I don’t need a captioning system, but others in the senior community where I live find them very useful. Here is a local TV station interview with a deaf person and why he likes InnoCaption.

Here is the InnoCaption site with more information.

https://innocaption.com/

That makes sense. Thanks for your answer.

I definitely have hearing problems but I can hear and having captions that are out of synch with the audio drives me nuts. So, I avoid captions most of the time. I do use subtitles with movies.

2 Likes

And as someone that reads lips I can’t stand it when the audio is out of sync with the video.

3 Likes

I find most HOH prefer Live Transcibe (Android only) or Otter (available on all devices). Lately I’ve been very happy with Microsoft Translator - it works on any device and its free. I use it as my demo when teaching a class on hearing assistive technology.

I’ve mean meaning to try out Innocaption.

I’m surprised at so many negative reactions to captions. I find them critical to enjoying TV and movies even though I have a BT connection to my TV (Oticon) and mild to moderate hearing loss. Surveys show hearing people really like them too (probably because of inattention!). I find you soon get used to listening and reading the captions - it becomes second nature. But it is annoying when the captions and dialogue don’t match.

When I’m having a mapping session, and my Aud has my CI hooked to the computer. I don’t hear very well at all. She uses Live Transcribe on her android phone, I find that very helpful as it has large print as well. It appears to be fairly well in sync with speech also.

1 Like

The negative reactions surprised me too.

I use captions everywhere and happy to have them. For me, it’s pointless to watch tv or a movie without them because I wouldn’t understand what going on. Yes the captiview cup holder thing can be a pain at the movies but it was nice (pre-covid) for my wife and I to have a date night and both be able to enjoy the film.

I have tried most mobile apps. None are perfect and some are just awful. Live Transcribe is the most accurate. Ava looks cool but I was never able to get it work as shown in the ads even in a quiet room. It may be where I live but when I tried InnoCaption most of time when I needed it I would get no operators available. I tried captioned phones but the delay was not workable. For the phone I just use VRS now since I sign.

YouTube auto-captions, a.k.a. craptions, while still sometimes garbage, have improved a lot recently. Also a lot more videos offer some type of captions so there is more accessible material.

Captioning is a crutch between good hearing and bad hearing.
Pending on your hearing loss captioning can be a long term or short term speech understanding device.
It is a tool to help the HOH understand what’s going on.

Sorry for the rant, just thinking about hearing loss.

To be honest with you I don’t like any of them and I’m all but deaf. It only works as well as the person doing the captioning. There’s a delay to the point that the person you’re talking to begins to wonder what’s going on. And then there’s the infamous ‘could not understand the caller’. Well me either. I find it all kind of frustrating

I think a barrier is that using captions takes practice, but we don’t acknowledge that. It is probably natural to think that because you can read a book you can read captions and it should be comfortable from the get-go. In my experience, that is not the case. There’s a sort of divided attention required to read captions and follow the video at the same time, and it can be quite uncomfortable when starting out.

It does become comfortable over time.

1 Like

Heh, since English isn’t my native language and movies we watched on TV are mostly English, I’m used to subtitles since I could watch TV. So switching to English captions or German ones is easy, but yeah, I started young.

Until you mentioned this, I completely forgot how tricky it could be for someone who never used them until they need them after a hearing loss. I’d assume language learners who use subtitles for help and people who watch foreign films with own language subtitles find it easier if they need it for hearing loss later.

Maybe such approach could help? Like watch a German/French/etc movie with English subtitles to practice depending on them because that’s only thing you have.

And then English captions for English material might become less weird?

1 Like

Yeah, I think that probably would help. Learning to use captions in another language doesn’t give you that weird double-speech-input that doing it in your own language does. It also puts you on the same playing field as everyone else in the room.

Once one is good at captions, I recommend flipping them on on youtube and setting all video to 2x speed. Twice the information in half the time.