What can one expect for a new user HA setup?

costco

It looks like I am heading down the road to being a first time HA user. And, unless something unforeseen develops, I expect it will be a Kirkland Signature KS 8.0 model. So, to get to the point, what can/should I expect for setup of the HA to suit my personal needs. I assume that correction of the hearing loss to the degree it can be achieved, is a given. What I am concerned/confused about is the setup of the 25+ features of the machine. I believe some of these features are likely important to the comfort and function of the HA’s. Is the technician just going to say something like “This is how I set them up for users with your type of hearing” stuff them in my ears and send me on my way. Or should there be a process to identify what my needs are for HA’s and what will make them acceptable or not acceptable. Is there some kind of checklist that the fitter goes through and feature by feature we discuss and turn them on, off, and if on at what level? Or is that expecting too much?

And kind of the same things about setting up the 6 potential programs. Should one expect that to be a collaborative effort, or they likely to say, “This is how we do it at Costco”.

In the last year I have become a member of the CPAP club, and that process has made me a bit skeptical. It seems that they just leave everything at the default setting, take your money, and send you out the door. Fortunately they are not hard to set up after the fact. But, they certainly do require individual customization to work well.

Thoughts?

You’re probably a bit ahead of yourself. Let the fitter set them up. Take the necessary time to adjust to them as they are, and adjust to the new routine you’ll have in your life. Then reassess where you are having difficulty and consider tweaks and extra features.

Perhaps… My observation with CPAP machines is that the sleep techs don’t really set them up properly for comfort. The user goes through misery until they figure out it is the machine that is the problem, not them.

But yes, if they don’t set them up right, then I suppose it is another appointment and a second try.

You will need time to get used to hearing aids for me it was about two months, some quicker others longer. Normally the fitter will want to slowly get you use to the extra sounds by setting your aids with less gain than you need. For me this was important as the sounds were still way to loud at first, your brain needs to adjust to new sounds and the loudness. Don’t get impatient, you have to be patient and give it time.

the problem is that I am not uncomfortable,I fully expected ambient noise, there is none.They fit great ,I just expected to be able to adjust the volume.

You should be able to adjust the volume. You my need and app or remote control to do so

I use the app and the filters for back ground noise do work, there is volume adjustment, it just doesn’t make any discernible difference

It should make a difference, I can adjust down to mute and up to the point of being to loud. Maybe the fitter is doing this to help you get use to your aids. That happened to me when I got my first hearing aids the Audi disabled the volume control for the first two weeks.

Can you not adjust it with the rocker switch?

Well, pretty much. There may be some options that fit your hearing loss and maybe some that don’t. With the hearing test results plugged into the software, along with your age, gender, and hearing aid experience, the software will set the hearing aids to “First Fit”. The pro may start slow and turn them down a little from first fit. They may or may not set up any manual programs.

One thing I’ve read is that one issue in audiology is getting clients to accept enough gain to actually benefit them. Things sound too loud at first and clanking sounds may sound even painful. But if you turn it down very much it will take longer to get used to them. Your brain needs some time to get used to all the new sounds, and it will learn to turn them down internally.

And then, hopefully, they will drop some probe microphones into your ears and ensure that hearing aids are meeting prescriptive gain targets at your eardrum.

Referring to the clip I just posted from the Quick Start manual, there seems to be 9 potential “canned” programs and an “other”. Is this just an example, or do you have to pick 6 of these as that is the max the machine can do. I was thinking it was a lot more custom than that.

They are “canned” programs in that they are set up for a particular purpose, but you can make all the adjustments possible to each one, although it will probably not be necessary to do that much customizing except I like to turn noise reduction way up for the speech in noise program.

So good luck and please report back after your hearing test and/or fitting. When do you go?

Not a pressing issue right now because it is -25 C outside, but I ride a motorcycle. It would seem that might need a program to address the noise, or just turn them off before going for a ride. I also still like to use my .22 rimfire outside without ear protection. It would be nice to have an outdoor program with the SoundSmoothing turned up to the max. Good to hear that they are just a starting point.

Initial test on Tuesday.

.22 is still loud enough to cause hearing loss. Always use hearing protection.

Hearing aids out, hearing protection in.

Hearing aids out, hearing protection in.

Yes, I know that is the sensible thing to do. However, I go on gopher shoots a few times a year, and wearing hearing protection is not all that conducive to the activity. The hope would be that the HA’s would provide some peak impulse noise level attenuation.

Your comment prompted me to do some research. I found the results of some sound level tests for various firearms. And yes, the .22 LR is around 140 dB. I see the top level measured for a long gun was for a 7mm RM at about 170 dB. I don’t have that one, but I have the .264 WM which is the same cartridge but a smaller bore. Probably is worse for noise. I blame that gun for most of my hearing loss in my left ear, but I have done some 12 gauge duck and pheasant hunting too… Fortunately I have never used handguns, or I guess I would probably be totally deaf!

Peak dB SPL of Various Firearms

Take up bow hunting. :smiley:

The gophers would be pretty safe if I did that…

Then don’t do the activity.